Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like in 2021 there will be no Irish aviation left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

gral6 wrote: »

Ryanair will survive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Irish aviation is dominated by two carriers that are largely leisure focused. Consequently Irish aviation is in fact well placed to bounce back quite well I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Netherlands banning passenger flights from the UK. Wonder will other EU countries follow given the risk.

https://twitter.com/dutchmfa/status/1340466053009317888?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Netherlands banning passenger flights from the UK. Wonder will other EU countries follow given the risk.

The UK certainly won't make it onto the EU 'green' list and as a result, as I have said elsewhere, non-resident UK citizens are going to be banned from travelling to most of the EU come the new-year anyway. Whether there are any other pre-emptive bans is still a good question though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

It looks like in 2021 there will be no Irish aviation left.[/quote

Including Aer Lingus? Can I ask why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

They have according to you 1.3 billion in state funds to aid them as presumably they were not in a position to get money on similar terms in the market. They are now buying another airline. Of course that state aid is enabling the deal.

IAG raised £2.75bn from existing shareholders in a rights issue - the very opposite of “not being in a position to get money on similar terms in the market”. In fact, due to European state aid law, the Spanish and UK govts had to offer those loans at the same conditions to all interested parties. The IAG airlines rightly took up the available debt facilities, as did Ryanair in the UK via their Stansted entity I might add.

It’s disingenuous to portray IAG as sucking the teat of state aid when they very intentionally and deliberately avoided direct state aid (ie. an equity injection) at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Nijmegen wrote: »

Belgium just joined in on this...

It looks like in 2021 there will be no Irish aviation left.[/quote

Including Aer Lingus? Can I ask why ?

How can it survive ? The Irish government did everything to effectively kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Belgium just joined in on this...

Germany saying they'll do the same.

Doubt we will ban them due the CTA, and even if we did people would still come home via Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Blut2

Some very positive news on the US travel ban. The main story is paywalled, but this an extract/highlight:

Donald Trump could lift the US travel ban on the UK and Europe as early as next week, say industry and aviation sources.

The US Department of Homeland Security is understood to have recommended the move which could be authorised by the President through an executive order next Tuesday, according to senior sources in the travel industry.

Mr Trump has been considering the plan since late November, after the introduction of the ban on Britain, Ireland and 26 other European countries at the start of the pandemic in a bid to contain the spread of coronavirus.

The plan has won the backing of White House coronavirus task-force members, public health and other federal agencies, according to officials, but Mr Trump has yet to make a final decision and sign it off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/18/exclusive-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-expecting-approval-within/

And according to a poster on flyertalk: "the byline is one Charles Hymas. He has a hotline to either Grant Shapps or his SPAD or (probably) both. So the wording links in with the other stories above, but it indicates that Grant Shapps has heard via his USA counterpart. Mr. Hymas is usually correct on his stories, though sometimes less accurate on the potential date involved."

HTCOne wrote: »
    Germany saying they'll do the same.

Doubt we will ban them due the CTA, and even if we did people would still come home via Belfast.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/government-considering-travel-restrictions-from-britain-over-new-covid-19-strain-1125227

Apparently we’re seriously thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

48-hour restriction on flights and ferries from Britain
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1220/1185542-covid-19/

Restrictions starting from midnight tonight. Exactly what those are remain to be seen though. An outright ban or a strongly worded recommendation......

They’re talking about repatriation where needed etc, feels like March again. Dunno how they’ll stop flights, will they actually ? But clear signal this won’t stop at 48 hours.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1340711508561571843?s=21

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RTÉ News saying all flights suspended. Ferries limited to just Freight and Cargo.

Easyjet need this UK lockdown like they need a hole in the head. At least IAG group has funds and breadth to weather this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Mr.S wrote: »
    Does that apply for flights to the UK I wonder?

As far as I am aware, yes. Also Germany, Holland, Belgium, Italy either stopped flights into and out of England or planning to do so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mr.S wrote: »
    Does that apply for flights to the UK I wonder?

Probably not. People can travel to the UK, cargo/post is carried on flights and "essential travel" is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,573 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EI have stated they are operating to the UK but not from - obviously the planes have to come back so I'd presume cargo is still happening.

Eamon's dream has finally come true. People will be cycling to the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Suppose a 48 hour ban is just an initial time period until the government meets on Tuesday ? This might be something that lasts a lot longer than two days I'm assuming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Suppose a 48 hour ban is just an initial time period until the government meets on Tuesday ? This might be something that lasts a lot longer than two days I'm assuming ?

You can take it as a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You can take it as a given.

First time travel has been banned ever? And the govt wants to wait til Tuesday to meet!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

bk wrote: »
    RTÉ News saying all flights suspended. Ferries limited to just Freight and Cargo.

Hows the ferries being limited to cargo going to be enforced what's to stop a truck driver taking a passenger for a fee

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GT89 wrote: »
    Hows the ferries being limited to cargo going to be enforced what's to stop a truck driver taking a passenger for a fee

Seems that the French have thought of that and as a result they are banning all attended cargo to the UK.

That means no trucks on ferries with drivers. Bulk and unattended cargo still possible, but this will cause mayhem for the UK as so much of it is usually attended.

As an aside I don’t think many drivers would risk what you suggest above given recent events with people smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    First time travel has been banned ever? And the govt wants to wait til Tuesday to meet!!

There is no point meeting until all the information from the UK has been received and assessed.

The two day initial ban is to buy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

There is no point meeting until all the information from the UK has been received and assessed.

The two day initial ban is to buy time.

Of course but they should still be meeting to have the various options ready. If A happens we do this. I don’t think anyone thinks this is just for 48 hours so even if they met and agreed the extension plan, and have it ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Of course but they should still be meeting to have the various options ready. If A happens we do this. I don’t think anyone thinks this is just for 48 hours so even if they met and agreed the extension plan, and have it ready.

But the Irish government doesn't have any "options". Testing, quarantining, locator forms are all effectively optional for passengers as there is no meaningful enforcement of whatever advisory/rule/regulation/law that the government make up depending on whether we are in phase 1-5 a,b,c,d,e or whatever revision they have added on.

Sure they have only been at this since March and their own cross party committee told them what to do but no doubt they will be meeting to consider its findings as well in the New Year........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair, preparing options is the job of the civil service, and you can be sure that they are doing precisely that.

The cabinet will meet once the information and options are prepared by the civil service to assess them and make the necessary decisions.

But really that discussion is for another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Caquas

I thought the mandatory Passenger Locator Forms were supposed to make international travel safe.

Apparently we have collected a half million of these PLFs but they have been no use to our contact tracers who have only looked a five of these forms - yes, fingers of one hand!

Why is this story not getting attention while we destroy Christmas for those in Britain who wanted to spend the holidays with their family and friends in Ireland?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192038.html

Advertisement