Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭trellheim

That's not what I am asking, if someone was to slip though I was wondering what the plan would be.
    if you fly with a positive test I am not sure what to tell you that would not get me banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

trellheim wrote: »
    if you fly with a positive test I am not sure what to tell you that would not get me banned from the forum.

I think he means that he is negative departing Ireland and good to fly, but in the 2 weeks while away, he becomes positive - not that much of a stretch!
    You will be denied boarding and end up in a diplomatic pickle that i'm not sure if anyone has thought enough about!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Or more simply an Irish citizen who has no PCR cert at all (so not necessarily someone who is a positive case) but who was not denied boarding at origin - will they be denied entry into the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's not what I am asking, if someone was to slip though I was wondering what the plan would be. If the airlines or ferries are doing things right then it won't come up but things do slip and mistakes are made, it would be interesting to see what would happen in that case.

Are you talking about someone who has taken a test prior to travelling back to Ireland, received a positive test result, and then travelled regardless, knowing that they had a positive test result?

Moving on : "The Netherlands requires visitors from Ireland to pass a PCR test but also a rapid antigen test *directly before departure*. New requirement takes effect from 11pm Irish time tonight.

The same restrictions also apply to arrivals from UK and South Africa"

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1349783412798795776

not cheap !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Noxegon wrote: »

If you read that data from the CDC, the erroneous results stem from mishandling and improper use of the tests. Independent studies using Roche or Abbott tests (the 2 being bought by the EU Commission) show excellent results when they are used properly! The ECDC include positive rapid antigen test in their case definition of a confirmed case for COVID-19. They wouldn't do that if their specificity was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Looks like my rebooked holiday from last year has being cancelled, Outbound sector cancled but in bound operating, Don't think I bother trying rebook anything soon.
    All I can say is thank f**k I've being working away since the start of the pandemic kinda keeping me sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Are you talking about someone who has taken a test prior to travelling back to Ireland, received a positive test result, and then travelled regardless, knowing that they had a positive test result?

Yeah exactly, would they just have their name taken and told to isolate when they get home.

Yeah exactly, would they just have their name taken and told to isolate when they get home.

They would be denied boarding. Self isolation doesn't include sitting on a airplane with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I don't think governments really care about false positive rates. If they keep false positives from moving they can also keep positives out, and at fairly shocking levels of disease growth in recent times I think that's what matters most of all. Pre-swift tests being available their policy tool was straight up travel bans, this opens the door quite a bit more but I reckon if you sat down with the CMOs of most major countries and asked them how they felt about travel today they'd give you a strained look. France is extending the rules around needing antigen tests at boarding also.

I see some Brazilian strain is causing issue and bans now. https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jan/15/coronavirus-live-news-hospitals-in-brazilian-state-at-breaking-point-amid-oxygen-shortage-global-deaths-near-2m?page=with:block-600145818f08729f18288694#block-600145818f08729f18288694

They would be denied boarding. Self isolation doesn't include sitting on a airplane with others
    Comes back to my travel insurance point as well as without it ( and its not really out ) you have to pay all these costs out of your own pocket for the necessary 14-day isolation, feeding and PCR testing on day 12 , plus the new airline ticket ( covid is not EU261 airline's fault you had a positive test )

Comes back to my travel insurance point as well as without it ( and its not really out ) you have to pay all these costs out of your own pocket for the necessary 14-day isolation, feeding and PCR testing on day 12 , plus the new airline ticket ( covid is not EU261 airline's fault you had a positive test )

Your PCR test will almost definitely still be positive on day 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Maybe I'm taking you up wrong, but if you have a positive test, you only have to isolate for 10 days. That points to you being very unlikely to still be positive on day 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

As matter of interest.,.... if you had a doze of the Covid and are now back up and running .... how long will it be before a test will come back Negative???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Maybe I'm taking you up wrong, but if you have a positive test, you only have to isolate for 10 days. That points to you being very unlikely to still be positive on day 12.

You’ll likely not be positive 12 days after, but the PCR test will almost certainly say you are as it will pick up viral fragments still in your system!

Masala wrote: »
    As matter of interest.,.... if you had a doze of the Covid and are now back up and running .... how long will it be before a test will come back Negative???
    You’ll likely not be positive 12 days after, but the PCR test will almost certainly say you are as it will pick up viral fragments still in your system!

Yes, after a positive test you are to isolate for 10 days, and for 5 days since you had any fever. At that stage you are deemed likely to no longer being infectious.
    So that works.

The problem is when people want to see a negative PCR test. RT-PCR just looks for RNA fragmaents. It doesn't distinguish if they are 'alive' and can be contagious, or if they are 'dead' and not contagious.
    PCR find these fragments for weeks or months after a person has recovered and completed their isolation period.
    For that reason, the HSE recommend NOT retesting people who have had positive tests, especially within 12 weeks.
    So while you may not be contagious after 12 days, you will almost certainly be 'positive'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't looked too much into the details of this, but a solution might be:

- Either a negative PCR test or
    - A positive PCR test that is more then 14 days old, but less then 3 months *

* Just plucking dates out here, whatever time period public health people deem acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

bk wrote: »
    I haven't looked too much into the details of this, but a solution might be:

- Either a negative PCR test or
    - A positive PCR test that is more then 14 days old, but less then 3 months *

* Just plucking dates out here, whatever time period public health people deem acceptable.

That’s pretty much what the US are doing, except they accept either antigen or PCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Talking to a friend who lives in Spain , they seem to be conditioned for no tourists from overseas until August at least possibly not until next year ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Talking to a friend who lives in Spain , they seem to be conditioned for no tourists from overseas until August at least possibly not until next year ??

That’s my thinking too. With the uncertainly over possible vaccination rates, travel cards, PCR vs Antigen test requirements, I can’t see normal leisure travel bookings picking up until mid-summer.
    So that basically wipes out half of the season.

We’ll be lucky if it’s only half.

As I said up-thread the ECDC green light is the watchword - unless the traffic lights drop back we aint goin anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As I said up-thread the ECDC green light is the watchword - unless the traffic lights drop back we aint goin anywhere.

I really think the idea of a country getting below 25 per 100,000 is impossible at this stage given where we are.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I really think the idea of a country getting below 25 per 100,000 is impossible at this stage given where we are.
    Its January. Summer is a long time off. Many experts believe that Covid acts seasonally like other corona viruses do, so will naturally reduce as we enter the summer. That along with the vaccine roll out could easily see those numbers achieved by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Did it last year when no one knew how to treat those who got really sick from the Virus, plus no vaccines available.

This year with better treatments, vaccines and greater social distance etc. the cases will drop below that easily.

Whether those in power remove travel restrictions is another question, and will Ryanair and Aer Lingus still keep capacity out of Ireland at a very low level until Q4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Lot of noise from government ruling out a summer of business as anywhere near usual.

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1350191082416562180?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Mgmt at ESY said that if they don't have a good summer in 2021 there is a possibility the employees could be out of work by October.

Mgmt at ESY said that if they don't have a good summer in 2021 there is a possibility the employees could be out of work by October.

ESY?

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »
    ESY?
    Probably means EasyJet, EZY.

Advertisement