Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BigMoose wrote: »
    Or in my case flying to SFO to my silicon valley HQ down the back in the cheap seats... :(

LOL, yep same here. Noise cancelling headphones make it just about bearable.
    The cheap seat riders like myself will get one trip a year not 2-3 as before so the economics will be interesting and its going to be challenging outside of Summer to have the 95% load factors, the SFO flight went out full regularly

Yeah, same here, most likely once a year rather than a few times a year going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Ryanair may cancel Irish routes over quarantine

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0425/1211998-ryanair/

More bluster from Ryanair. Pushing the same rhetoric they been doing for years. Anything to get a mention in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

More bluster from Ryanair. Pushing the same rhetoric they been doing for years. Anything to get a mention in the media.

Hardly bluster when they've actually done it... All those routes cancelled for May according to the app.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Hardly bluster when they've actually done it... All those routes cancelled for May according to the app.
    and plenty more beside. Those 9.99 tickets count for nothing when they've cancelled the flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Grim piece in the FT about banks slashing business trips by 50% of 2019 levels.
    It is behind a hard paywall so unreadable but it can be summed up as a mix of cost-cutting and greenwash, which I have long suspected were the real reasons.

• Advertisement

IngazZagni wrote: »

But it was always going to happen either way. EI have cancelled a lot up to June but my point was Ryanair go for the BIG news all the time in an effort to get media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

But it was always going to happen either way. EI have cancelled a lot up to June but my point was Ryanair go for the BIG news all the time in an effort to get media coverage.

Have to be honest I agree witgh Ryanair on this one the lack of a roadmap for aviation to start the return to travel is hard to believe and terrible for all the workers who are connected to aviation and the wider tourism business.
    Aer Lingus have already warned of the loss of more routes and jobs as well due to then lack of clarity on the return to travel so I think it's just a case of calling it out rather than Big news.

davebuck wrote: »
    Have to be honest I agree witgh Ryanair on this one the lack of a roadmap for aviation to start the return to travel is hard to believe and terrible for all the workers who are connected to aviation and the wider tourism business.
    Aer Lingus have already warned of the loss of more routes and jobs as well due to then lack of clarity on the return to travel so I think it's just a case of calling it out rather than Big news.

Ok so, maybe i am just sick of the usual Ryanair schtick when it suits their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ok so, maybe i am just sick of the usual Ryanair schtick when it suits their agenda.

Same here. Ryanair have behaved particularly badly during the pandemic

So many have told me they will boycott Ryanair for many years/life after this cr*p from them

So many have told me they will boycott Ryanair for many years/life after this cr*p from them
    Have you been getting out and about much in the lockdown to talk to all these people in a socially distant manner or just reaching out to them through Skype? Knowing your distaste for Ryanair if I met you'd I'd just be inclined to agree with you if put on a spot just so that I could avoid uncomfortableness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 duskyjoe2

I don’t think it’s big news from ryanair or a scoop - like AL they are hurtin and will in a heart beat follow the scent of revenue . With zero road map on the horizon and an inept minister at the helm in the biggest crisis ever for the aviation industry, I really despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

Ryanair's years of using the media to threaten airports/governments etc probably don't help them here. Any warnings can just come across as the same old bleeting we've heard for years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Cheap tickets in the future will do wonders to overturn such views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Plenty of people on the internet, and in real life, regularly claim they're going to boycott Ryanair. But pretty much every year they're still Europe's most successful airline.

At the end of the day the vast, vast majority of people choose with their wallet when push comes to shove, not their morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have you been getting out and about much in the lockdown to talk to all these people in a socially distant manner or just reaching out to them through Skype? Knowing your distaste for Ryanair if I met you'd I'd just be inclined to agree with you if put on a spot just so that I could avoid uncomfortableness.

Well. Since you ask.

Yep. I work on a daily basis for an essential industry (groceries/food). I observe social distancing at all times.

I would prefer to work from home and it was working well while I did but in July last year I was more or less threatened with the sack unless I resumed my travelling role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

On the one hand, they have been putting their money where their mouth is re moving the fleet, bases, etc. On the other hand, they are nimble AF and will fly back in the moment they see Wizz or EasyJet decide to pitch a tent in Dublin as the market demand returns. The issue is more for jobs in Ireland servicing them than the availability of bucket and spade routes when the pandemic abates.
    PommieBast wrote: »
    Grim piece in the FT about banks slashing business trips by 50% of 2019 levels.
    It is behind a hard paywall so unreadable but it can be summed up as a mix of cost-cutting and greenwash, which I have long suspected were the real reasons.

I was in some meetings with several banks recently discussing corporate banking needs. Every one of them talked about green credentials, green loans, greening your investments, capital to support green programmes. You'd almost think there was a wave of tax breaks coming for the activity or something....! But yes, it is genuinely front of mind in the corporate zeitgeist at the moment - and it's never great news when the right-on corporate social responsibility types have their most ardent supporter in the CFO as they cut out all those travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Absolutely Everyone in Ireland will want to go to Spain after all this is over. Ryanair will be back in like a shot, faster than AL and faster than any others. O Leary knows this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Joe Walsh tours and the 10 company names it trades under has gone bust.
    More to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

gral6 wrote: »
    More to follow...

They were on Ryanair hit list I would say anyway.... got an email from Ryanair yesterday WARNING against using Travel Agents / Tour Operators for Ryanair flights giving impression that they won’t work with passenger if any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 68,799 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gral6 wrote: »
    More to follow...

You're still thread banned you know. I'll "let you away" with it this time but next time is a card. Do not reply to this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Absolutely Everyone in Ireland will want to go to Spain after all this is over. Ryanair will be back in like a shot, faster than AL and faster than any others. O Leary knows this too.

Don’t forget though that the economic objective/jobs angle is to have aircraft and therefore jobs based in Dublin.

Ryanair will be back on DUB-Spain routes for sure, but what if they just operate them with Spain-based aircraft and crew? That is the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I've only ever come across one person who went through the "I won't fly Ryanair" threat....and they genuinely did it.... to the point where we met up with them in Leeds and they chose to fly into Manchester and get the train to Leeds to avoid using Ryanair, even though Ryanair flew to Leeds....

That's the sort of back bone nobody has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

conor_mc wrote: »
    Ryanair will be back on DUB-Spain routes for sure, but what if they just operate them with Spain-based aircraft and crew? That is the risk.

I guess they can service Dublin from any base, though STN and BGY ...

I can see them basing more aircraft in those airports to meet demand, maybe fly in some aircraft for parking and servicing in Dublin...

Unless of course this Government lifts MHQ for EU countries and adopts any common travel passes too... may rescue some of the season for travel abroad here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

If there is a sniff of a profit, Ryanair will be back.... it's not like Heathrow where if you leave you give up slots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

arccosh wrote: »
    I've only ever come across one person who went through the "I won't fly Ryanair" threat....and they genuinely did it.... to the point where we met up with them in Leeds and they chose to fly into Manchester and get the train to Leeds to avoid using Ryanair, even though Ryanair flew to Leeds....

That's the sort of back bone nobody has.
    Well yes and no. Ryanair did change tack regarding customer service a few years ago, trying to brush off the crass don't care about customers image it had created over the previous decade. And the reason they did that was because it was hurting their growth. They saw that they were losing customers to rivals with a more relaxed attitude and shareholders were sick of it. It wasn't because people wouldn't fly with them, they noticed that they had to keep fares significantly lower than rivals in order to entice passengers so they would put up with the additional stress that comes with flying with them.

So it wasn't I'll never fly Ryanair, it was "for only £30 more, I'll fly easyJet/AL and I'll have a nicer experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

IAA reports a €900k loss for 2020. Traffic down from 1.17mil to 498,000 flights (2019-2020, 60% decrease). The Authority says a restart of aviation in summer should be a priority.

Also, from their annual report:
    The IAA will split in to two entities - one for regulation, one for ANSP.
    New tower in Dublin will be fully operational this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

838,644 first doses administered as of Friday. 250,000 a week is the target that they've set. If they push out the second dose of Pfizer past 4 weeks (which is rumoured to be happening), the 80% will have had their first dose well before the end of June.

Didn't take too long for NHPET to acknowledge that is being optimistic:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0428/1212527-vaccine-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

So it wasn't I'll never fly Ryanair, it was "for only £30 more, I'll fly easyJet/AL and I'll have a nicer experience"

In recent years I've found there's little if no difference in experience between Aer Lingus short haul and Ryanair.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Noxegon wrote: »
    In recent years I've found there's little if no difference in experience between Aer Lingus short haul and Ryanair.
    That was the desired outcome, Ryanair improved their customer service and dropped the Paddy Power-esque marketing to make themselves "friendlier".

Those that avoid Ryanair now are those customers that they've annoyed. With the friendly approach, the idea is that there are fewer of those, so they only now need to be a little rather than a lot cheaper to win custom.

The stupid brash behaviour comes out the odd time as you can take the man out of the bog but not the bog out of the man - no matter how much customer and PR training they've got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Noxegon wrote: »

Same applies to pretty much all short haul in Europe, BA v Aer Lingus v Ryanair et al. There are a few notable exceptions like Lufthansa who will still offer you a nice bottle of Warsteiner, but for most Dublin outbound flights the only difference is how far the walk to the gate is.

Advertisement