Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

I was just going to ask what is the situation with air freight, as I bought a couple of things online from China. Checking a couple of sites like UPS, indicates they are trying to maintain normal operation, which seems reasonable to me. Anyone have better info?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

UPS sent a customer email last night, they claim to be fully operational and are working on minimise impact of controls at land borders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

plodder wrote: »
    I was just going to ask what is the situation with air freight, as I bought a couple of things online from China. Checking a couple of sites like UPS, indicates they are trying to maintain normal operation, which seems reasonable to me. Anyone have better info?

Following a long delay, after the Chinese new year period was extended, I am now seeing my ordered items coming through. In the past few days I have received goods that I ordered back in January.

Items are obviously getting out of China again, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Where the heck are Ryanair going to mothball >280 fifty ton aircraft??
    How many leased aircraft have Ryanair?
    https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/no-plans-to-market-737-max-differently-ryanair-chief/133558.article

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Wow, surprised on that, they have been in trouble for years and the government is now throwing money in to prop up a not very viable business!
    Taking advantage of easing of state aid rules to do something they've wanted to do for years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Aer Lingus now offering vouchers for passenger due to travel up to May 31st, including a bonus 10% on top of original fare.

Terms are unknown, T&C link in email brings customers to EU Regulation page on Aer Lingus site with no mention of the vouchers. Conflicting information being received by customers, call center and guest relations email have been telling travelers 1 year validity from issuance, verified Aer Lingus facebook account has been telling customers 5 years validity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Air NZ just bailed out by the NZ government

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120430806/govt-strikes-deal-to-help-air-new-zealand

CEO working for free till the end of the financial year (30 June)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Hypothetically if IAG needed a bailout who would do it? Can’t see the UK gov giving money to go to a Spanish or Irish airline. Likewise Spain to BA or Aer Lingus. Would each country bail out “their own” airline? Also if Ryanair was in need of help. Would the Irish gov do it considering probably only 1/10th of the passengers fly to/from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

medoc wrote: »
    Hypothetically if IAG needed a bailout who would do it? Can’t see the UK gov giving money to go to a Spanish or Irish airline. Likewise Spain to BA or Aer Lingus. Would each country bail out “their own” airline? Also if Ryanair was in need of help. Would the Irish gov do it considering probably only 1/10th of the passengers fly to/from Ireland?

That's something that occurred to me about Norwegian looking for a bailout from the Norwegian government. Why would they want to bailout an airline that runs vanity routes all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With the surge of Green governments across Europe no airline is getting aid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Gael23 wrote: »
    With the surge of Green governments across Europe no airline is getting aid

What green governments? There's a lot of green talk, but there are no green governments. There's also no way the likes of Lufthansa or Air France/KLM will be allowed to fail. The Dutch and French governments already each own 14% of Air France/KLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I know the DAA are cutting back operations so I am assuming this is a victim of it.

No direct flights from Dublin to Doha from March 24th onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This is alarming, from Ecuador. A local mayor denied the landing of repatriation flights (empty apart from crew) by having the municipal police force their way in and park all over the runway. This is the actions of local mayor and police, not aviation authorities, who denounced it. This is a short thread so you can click through for more stuff.

https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1240474928333414401

I know the DAA are cutting back operations so I am assuming this is a victim of it.

No direct flights from Dublin to Doha from March 24th onwards.

Surely that's more to do with Qatar rather than DAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Surely that's more to do with Qatar rather than DAA?

Probably most airlines are in that same situation. So DAA acting accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Saudi Arabia is suspending all domestic flights tomorrow, so that’s about 140 planes grounded..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

john boye wrote: »
    That's something that occurred to me about Norwegian looking for a bailout from the Norwegian government. Why would they want to bailout an airline that runs vanity routes all over the place?

Vanity routes?

Norwegian just got their government assistance..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/20/proposed-british-airways-operational-plan/

BA plan.
    -B787 and A350 staying operational. All other widebodies on the ground for the moment.
    -"core minimum" routes on short-haul.
    -Terminal 5C and operations in T3 to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

With less flights in the air greenhouse emissions are lowering so once this pandemic is over we should try to reduce the number of flights being taken by people every year.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-03-19/coronavirus-shutdowns-are-lowering-greenhouse-emissions-history-shows-theyll-come-roaring-back

marvin80 wrote: »
    With less flights in the air greenhouse emissions are lowering so once this pandemic is over we should try to reduce the number of flights being taken by people every year.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-03-19/coronavirus-shutdowns-are-lowering-greenhouse-emissions-history-shows-theyll-come-roaring-back

Reduced flying is only a small part of the reduction. Millions of people around the world are staying at home and not using their cars. There's also a lower demand for electricity. They all add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

marvin80 wrote: »

The primary drop is from road vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Manchester airport are closing T2 and T3, would something similar happen in Dublin ?

https://mediacentre.manchesterairport.co.uk/statement-from-manchester-airport---consolidation-of-operations/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Manchester airport are closing T2 and T3, would something similar happen in Dublin ?

https://mediacentre.manchesterairport.co.uk/statement-from-manchester-airport---consolidation-of-operations/

Definately. It will be down to a small number of flights a day from a small section of a terminal.

All other airports probably close except maybe a bit from Cork and cargo etc. from SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Nibs05 wrote: »

Yes, one Terminal and 1 pier eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Vanity routes?

Norwegian just got their government assistance..

And they received support because of the number of jobs involved. Slightly off topic but relevant in the big picture, Norway’s sovereign wealth fund withdrew 13 Billion from its holdings to help fund their social/programmes.

I have just returned from an African country where I was touring with a group of Irish people. The country went into lockdown, got one of last flights out. It was surreal coming home. Became very unwell with breathing difficulty a day or two myself, couldn’t seek medical care as the facilities are almost non-existent in that country. Now home, and the fever has set in big time.

Got home via another African, then an Asian country. Airports weirdly empty, escalators ceased working. Very strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Reduced flying is only a small part of the reduction. Millions of people around the world are staying at home and not using their cars. There's also a lower demand for electricity. They all add up.

Reducing flights seems like an easy win and not the worst place to start.

I can see in my workplace the last few weeks the amount of unnecessary business flights cancelled and they have video meetings instead.

Taking cars off the road should also be encouraged by better public transport and promoting more working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Iberia should've declared a fuel emergency and rammed the damn police cars, would've been a poor day out for Mayor Crazy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Iberia should've declared a fuel emergency and rammed the damn police cars, would've been a poor day out for Mayor Crazy

Unless there was a Kamikaze pilot in control, it was probably the best call to abort the landing. Planes aren't really built to survive being rammed into anything but air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

If nothing else after this is all over, I think a lot of business will finally wake to VC meetings over flights.

Before all of this there were what 30 flights in London airports every day, mostly large aircraft - was that really necessary? Sure the demand was there vis mostly business travel but how much could have been done by VC?

Think it was Willy Walsh who said big airlines (in terms of number of routes and frequency won't return). The new norm will be small hub and spoke models.

Advertisement