Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

vandriver wrote: »
    Not that urgent though,as you still have the paper passport?
    That expires in the next couple of months, I want to wait until I get the passport card back before I send that one off for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

That expires in the next couple of months, I want to wait until I get the passport card back before I send that one off for renewal.

The Passport Card will match the expiry date of your Passport Book, if you have less than 5 years validity remaining.

I think you're wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

You don't need to send your passport in if it has less than 6 months on it. You can keep it.

Back to the topic, I see Boris will announce the green list at 5pm today. This will be for England I believe but it's likely that NI will have similar rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Marno over in the Cork Airport thread in the Cork forum posted the following, figured a teeny bit of good news can't hurt.
    marno21 wrote: »
    EI are up to 6pw on the London LHR route now

Long way to go to the 28pw of summers of old or the 33pw (I think) of summer 2018 but it’s a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

In today's news, the UK's "Green List" has been revealed:

Portugal
    Israel
    Singapore
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Brunei
    Iceland
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands
    Faroe Islands
    South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
    St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island

Of those:

- Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand are closed to all but citizens.
    - Faroe Islands have no flights that don't go via Denmark
    - St Helena, Tristan da Cunha, and Ascension Island are next to impossible to get to.
    - Falkland Islands are not much better.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Noxegon wrote: »

Portugal
    Israel
    Singapore
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Brunei
    Iceland
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands
    Faroe Islands

Of those:

- St Helena, Tristan da Cunha, and Ascension Island are next to impossible to get to.

So Portugal, Brunei, Iceland and Israel. I guess that means UK folk can plan on some sun in Portugal or Israel then? or are there any rules at the other end that prevent them? and is full vaccination a requirement, or just negative PCRs? and in the case of negative PCRs are there any quarantine requirements at either/or/both ends?

Inquitus wrote: »
    So Portugal, Brunei, Iceland and Israel. I guess that means UK folk can plan on some sun in Portugal or Israel then? or are there any rules at the other end that prevent them? and is full vaccination a requirement, or just negative PCRs? and in the case of negative PCRs are there any quarantine requirements at either/or/both ends?

Gibraltar's realistic too – direct flights from the UK – but it's not a large place and it won't take much to fill all available hotel rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two posts and no-one has made the obvious joke about how the British can go to the Falklands without any problem at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

vandriver wrote: »
    The Passport Card will match the expiry date of your Passport Book, if you have less than 5 years validity remaining.

I think you're wasting your time.

I didn't realise that.
    They're hardly going to charge me to renew it if they're only going to give it a few months..?

Two posts and no-one has made the obvious joke about how the British can go to the Falklands without any problem at all?

There’s a twice weekly flight from Brize Norton that’s open to civilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Portugal
    Israel
    Singapore
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Brunei
    Iceland
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands
    Faroe Islands

Of those:

Am I being presumptuous but can't we still freely enter the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Over on the main Covid forum they are mentioning that the fine for non essential travel lapses tomorrow. On April 30th it had been extended 6 days from 4th to 10th of May, but no further updates.

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/1f150-view-statutory-instruments-related-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Am I being presumptuous but can't we still freely enter the UK?

CTA still allows us to enter the UK and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    CTA still allows us to enter the UK and vice versa

PCR needed on way back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The Taoiseach on Sunday said on RTE news after receiving his first dose of the vaccine that he expected the resumption of non-essential travel between Ireland and the EU some time between late June and early August, as we are signing up for the EU traffic light system.

The Tanaiste said yesterday that he expected resumption of non-essential travel between Ireland and Britain this summer but not to the EU or US until 2022.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/travel-restrictions-between-ireland-and-britain-should-be-lifted-during-summer-varadkar-40414555.html

Which makes me think once again that our industry is an afterthought and they have no plan whatsoever to rebuild it seeing as they completely contradicted each other in less than 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

UK is happening as a recognition of the border, it is impossible to restrict travel, the UK rates are low and heading down. UK has MHQ so we are in a similar place, so basically the same as AU/NZ have done.

I would expect by July 1st we will have unrestricted travel to/from the UK, no paperwork, no tests. Thats going to be a major restart in air travel given Dublin London was the busiest international air route in the world.

I can see an insistence for PCR tests being continued for some time and a tactic to restrict and otherwise brainwash people not to travel until we hit September, i.e. schools open to restrict the number who could travel.

Aer Lingus could do well the follow Ryanair and load up on flights out of Belfast

HTCOne wrote: »
    The Taoiseach on Sunday said on RTE news after receiving his first dose of the vaccine that he expected the resumption of non-essential travel between Ireland and the EU some time between late June and early August, as we are signing up for the EU traffic light system.

The Tanaiste said yesterday that he expected resumption of non-essential travel between Ireland and Britain this summer but not to the EU or US until 2022.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/travel-restrictions-between-ireland-and-britain-should-be-lifted-during-summer-varadkar-40414555.html

Which makes me think once again that our industry is an afterthought and they have no plan whatsoever to rebuild it seeing as they completely contradicted each other in less than 24 hours.

I think you have misread the article. What is being said is that Ireland/Britain travel should have no restrictions. As in you shouldn't need to have a negative PCR test or be fully vaccinated.
    Travel outside of this will naturally have restrictions based on the new EU green cert. You need to fulfill certain requirements and some Countries may be banned if varients appear. Full free travel with no restrictions will realistically only begin in 2022.

That's how I read it anyway and hopefully we will get the actual details of what we are signing up to by the end of the month as we've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Blut2

Some promising news here:

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will urge President Joe Biden to lift US-UK flight restrictions at their first face-to-face meeting since Biden took office, unless Biden does so before then, a top British official warned U.S. diplomats.

According to a U.S. diplomatic cable obtained by the PBS NewsHour, Robert Courts, Parliament’s Under Secretary of State at the Department of Transport, requested an “urgent” meeting with the top-ranking official at the U.S. Embassy in London, chargé d’affaires Yael Lempert, on Monday.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/uk-urges-biden-to-drop-coronavirus-air-travel-restrictions

Looks like the UK is going to start to put some pressure on the US to open up finally. No reason for them not to with the UK's very low covid numbers/very high vaccination rate.

Ireland will hopefully be lumped in with the UK too given the Common Travel Area, and that we're explicitly on the UK travel ban rather than the Schengen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Blut2 wrote: »
    Some promising news here:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/uk-urges-biden-to-drop-coronavirus-air-travel-restrictions

Looks like the UK is going to start to put some pressure on the US to open up finally. No reason for them not to with the UK's very low covid numbers/very high vaccination rate.

Ireland will hopefully be lumped in with the UK too given the Common Travel Area, and that we're explicitly on the UK travel ban rather than the Schengen one.
    The UK will do whatever the US tells them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The UK will do whatever the US tells them to do.

It'll be the easiest negotiation ever! :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Two stories today... ryanair calling for lifting of travel restrictions, and the Indian variant being detected in England. Shows the precariousness of the situation. (It’s not hard hard confirmed, but a third story pointing out that apparently fully vaccinated people are dying of the Indian variant).

https://www.thejournal.ie/flight-restrictions-ireland-5437143-May2021/

https://www.thejournal.ie/indian-variant-covid-england-5437781-May2021/

https://www.ft.com/content/5f742765-61ac-4da6-8c6f-49119cd7d46c
    This link is behind a paywall
    I can see us backsliding over this.

Meanwhile, in Ireland, the Tanaiste hammers another nail into the coffin of the airlines:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0517/1222190-non-essential-travel-ireland/

Meanwhile, in Ireland, the Tanaiste hammers another nail into the coffin of the airlines:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0517/1222190-non-essential-travel-ireland/

Not entirely unexpected. On a positive note it does mention that the common travel area with the UK could be restored very soon. As in no testing or vaccines needed to travel. That's a significant market for our airlines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Not entirely unexpected. On a positive note it does mention that the common travel area with the UK could be restored very soon. As in no testing or vaccines needed to travel. That's a significant market for our airlines here.

I'd nearly go on holidays to the UK... nearly. Can see plenty of day/overnight trips. Duty Free will be a cash cow for the airports too, going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

flanzer wrote: »
    I'd nearly go on holidays to the UK... nearly. Can see plenty of day/overnight trips. Duty Free will be a cash cow for the airports too, going forward

Aye the UK weather is a fair bit better than ours in the Summer generally, but it also comes with no guarantees, much like Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭john boye

IngazZagni wrote: »

Out of interest, how soon do we think very soon will be? I have to get back going over there for a couple of days a week beginning early in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

john boye wrote: »
    Out of interest, how soon do we think very soon will be? I have to get back going over there for a couple of days a week beginning early in June.
    I've seen 24th May mentioned with respect to travel between Northern Ireland and the CTA, and quite honestly once NI-GB travel is derestricted any direct RoI-UK restrictions are simply lost business for DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

PommieBast wrote: »
    I've seen 24th May mentioned with respect to travel between Northern Ireland and the CTA, and quite honestly once NI-GB travel is derestricted any direct RoI-UK restrictions are simply lost business for DUB.

Unfortunately even from the 24th on travel between NI and GB will still require pre-departure Covid tests and 2 tests when back in NI etc. So not as straight forward yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

DubDani wrote: »
    Unfortunately even from the 24th on travel between NI and GB will still require pre-departure Covid tests and 2 tests when back in NI etc. So not as straight forward yet.

Where are you getting your information from?

The last time I looked, (like now to be sure) there was NO test requirement for travel from NI to UK, and no test requirement from ROI to UK. There is a PCR test requirement within 72 hours of travel before returning to ROI from UK, but there is no test requirement from UK to NI. THere is still a requirement that travel is for essential purposes only until May 24th from NI, and there is still a restriction on travel to from ROI at present, with no definite end date.

There is a recommendation, but not mandatory, to get a test before UK departure and at 2 and 8 days after arrival in NI from UK after May 24, but it can be the cheap test, it does not have to be PCR test, which is way more expensive. Self isolation for up to 10 days is also recommened.

With increasing numbers of people being fully vaccinated, I suspect that these requirements will also be changed in the next few days.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

DubDani wrote: »

You don't need tests travelling within the UK (or from Ireland).

Advertisement