Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I have just returned from an African country where I was touring with a group of Irish people. The country went into lockdown, got one of last flights out. It was surreal coming home. Became very unwell with breathing difficulty a day or two myself, couldn’t seek medical care as the facilities are almost non-existent in that country. Now home, and the fever has set in big time.

Got home via another African, then an Asian country. Airports weirdly empty, escalators ceased working. Very strange times.

Glad you’re home safe though your case is an example of how international air travel at this time is risky. You travelled with symptoms through 3 airports including here, on 2 aircraft. The risk of infecting others in that scenario if it is Covid-19 is high, individuals likely going some distance in other directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have just returned from an African country where I was touring with a group of Irish people. The country went into lockdown, got one of last flights out. It was surreal coming home. Became very unwell with breathing difficulty a day or two myself, couldn’t seek medical care as the facilities are almost non-existent in that country. Now home, and the fever has set in big time.

Got home via another African, then an Asian country. Airports weirdly empty, escalators ceased working. Very strange times.

Off topic on this forum, but this is a national emergency - Have you contacted your GP to be tested?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Copying Varadkar word for word :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Hi

Not an insider, but just an observer/planespotter of over 50 years.

Due to Terror attacks in 2001, we are still living under a stringent anti-terror regime when flying.

What effect will the virus have on flying in the future?

Given that the airline industry is central to the speedy spread of this virus, perhaps the following may happen; ( at least it makes sense to me, a layman)

A) Consolidation of international routes into very large hubs, which are equipped to handle health issues and possibly quarantine. This would entail concurrent expansion of rail/bus facilities in these giant hubs to move px to nearby regional airports to reach internal destinations.

B) Cessation of flying into "regional" airports for eg TATL flights. Regionals not having the scale to handle health problems.

A would obviously have issues with slots, necessitating the need for large wide-bodies. A rebirth for the A380 and B747 surely.

B would dent the long-range single aisle market, thus limiting the needs for 737-Max etc.

I feel the industry will suffer for this virus. Stringent regulations will have to be enacted.

The damage to lives and economies will make 9/11 seem like a mere footnote.

The days of fast and easy air travel are over. Delays will be much longer, due to health checks for ingress and egress passengers.

Just some thoughts. Would love to know what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Boeing looks incredibly likely to need a $60bn Government Bailout to keep it out of Chapter 11. To big to fail, but that sort of state intervention is an anathema to most Republicans. Apparently they burn $4bn a month at the moment and have nearly used up all the $13,8bn they lined up in loans before Covid-19 came along.

Nikki Haley resigned from the board over it yesterday

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/nikki-haley-resigns-from-boeing-board-over-its-coronavirus-bailout-bid/

Too big to fail?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/boeing-is-too-big-to-fail-but-saving-it-will-be-costly-for-everyone-51584748558

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Hi

Not an insider, but just an observer/planespotter of over 50 years.

Due to Terror attacks in 2001, we are still living under a stringent anti-terror regime when flying.

What effect will the virus have on flying in the future?

Given that the airline industry is central to the speedy spread of this virus, perhaps the following may happen; ( at least it makes sense to me, a layman)

A) Consolidation of international routes into very large hubs, which are equipped to handle health issues and possibly quarantine. This would entail concurrent expansion of rail/bus facilities in these giant hubs to move px to nearby regional airports to reach internal destinations.

B) Cessation of flying into "regional" airports for eg TATL flights. Regionals not having the scale to handle health problems.

A would obviously have issues with slots, necessitating the need for large wide-bodies. A rebirth for the A380 and B747 surely.

B would dent the long-range single aisle market, thus limiting the needs for 737-Max etc.

I feel the industry will suffer for this virus. Stringent regulations will have to be enacted.

The damage to lives and economies will make 9/11 seem like a mere footnote.

The days of fast and easy air travel are over. Delays will be much longer, due to health checks for ingress and egress passengers.

Just some thoughts. Would love to know what people think.

If health checks, what would you be aiming to detect and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

deconduo wrote: »

Copying Varadkar word for word :rolleyes:

That is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Jack1985 wrote: »
    That is unbelievable.

There is a petition doing the rounds that if ESY are to get UK funding,That the cuts that Bellow wants should be reversed.
    There are going be lots of companies including non Airlines that will use the current circumstances to cut and slash peoples T&C.
    Seen it done back in 08/09 hopefully this virus passes by soon and people affected directly can get back to work on the same T&C.

There is a petition doing the rounds that if ESY are to get UK funding,That the cuts that Bellow wants should be reversed.
    There are going be lots of companies including non Airlines that will use the current circumstances to cut and slash peoples T&C.
    Seen it done back in 08/09 hopefully this virus passes by soon and people affected directly can get back to work on the same T&C.

Nail on the head. EZY would do well to get him out, that display is embarassing and frankly shameful, similar to Alex Cruz taking no cuts to his salary and asking pilots for 50%.... Willie in IAG even took 20%

EI is 50% from top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Inquitus wrote: »
    Boeing looks incredibly likely to need a $60bn Government Bailout to keep it out of Chapter 11. To big to fail, but that sort of state intervention is an anathema to most Republicans. Apparently they burn $4bn a month at the moment and have nearly used up all the $13,8bn they lined up in loans before Covid-19 came along.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/nikki-haley-resigns-from-boeing-board-over-its-coronavirus-bailout-bid/

Too big to fail?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/boeing-is-too-big-to-fail-but-saving-it-will-be-costly-for-everyone-51584748558
    Very Serious issues ahead for them and Airbus. Lots of orders are going to be cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

That is unbelievable.

Surely to God he’s got a smidgen of original thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Gael23 wrote: »
    Very Serious issues ahead for them and Airbus. Lots of orders are going to be cancelled

Boeing's real problem is whats parked in the car parks around BFI in Seattle, its surreal to drive down East Marginal Way, 737's parked on every available space. Lots and lots of 737 MAX which may never fly again built for airlines which no longer need them or exist anymore (several Jet Airways examples for a start are highly visible on the BFI delivery apron)

Airbus was still delivering aircraft to customers this week...

Airbus no doubt will want that settlement it paid for government support repaid when Boeing gets a single cent in support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Boeing's real problem is whats parked in the car parks around BFI in Seattle, its surreal to drive down East Marginal Way, 737's parked on every available space. Lots and lots of 737 MAX which may never fly again built for airlines which no longer need them or exist anymore (several Jet Airways examples for a start are highly visible on the BFI delivery apron)

Airbus was still delivering aircraft to customers this week...

Airbus no doubt will want that settlement it paid for government support repaid when Boeing gets a single cent in support.

Airbus (France and Spain) was closed since Monday, must have come from Germany (Air Seychelles I'm guessing?).

An A330 was delivered to Air Canada on the 13th, but I assume it left Toulouse before the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

GM228 wrote: »
    Airbus (France and Spain) was closed since Monday, must have come from Germany (Air Seychelles I'm guessing?).

An A330 was delivered to Air Canada on the 13th, but I assume it left Toulouse before the closure.

BA got a A321 on 17th from Hamburg.

Storm 10 wrote: »

50 miles away from JFK at the NY TRACON. Ops were restarted 30 mins later, I assume when they realised the trainee hadn’t been in work in 4 days. So a quick clean of their suite and back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

EchoIndia wrote: »
    If health checks, what would you be aiming to detect and how?

EI

I dont know.

I'm not an expert on aviation or pandemics.

Those that are should address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

That is unbelievable.
    What is it?
    Video not available now.

What is it?
    Video not available now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

He’s now issued an apology but the horse has bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Inquitus wrote: »

Too big to fail?

Boeing like a lot of other corporations was investing its free cash flow in stock buybacks to enrich executives and took their eye off the engineering and ethics of aircraft manufacture , if ever a company deserved to fail, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Coronavirus: Trainee Ryanair crew in Dublin quarantine after positive tests
    Fifteen Italian trainees arrived in Ireland on March 7th and all tested positive for Covid-19
    about 17 hours ago
    Ronan McGreevy

A group of trainee Italian Ryanair stewards all tested positive for coronavirus and are in quarantine in Dublin, according to reports in Italy.

Of the 17 members of the group, who had been in training in Bergamo, northern Italy, the epicentre of the virus, 15 are Italians and all tested positive for the disease.

They were training with Dublin-based recruitment company Crewlink which confirmed to The Irish Times the group has been quarantined in co-ordination with the HSE and the Italian embassy.

All are in “precautionary self-isolation” until March 24th, Crewlink confirmed in a statement. Crewlink is the official recruitment partner for Ryanair and the airlines it has acquired: Buzz, Laudamotion and Malta Air.

According to media reports in Italy, the trainees left Bergamo, where they were training, on March 2nd bound for Bari in the south of Italy.

From there they flew to Dublin on the following Saturday, March 7th, when a female trainee felt ill in her hotel and was taken to hospital.

Embarrassing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Embarrassing...

Grovelling apology issued today.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/21/easyjet-sorry-as-staff-motivation-video-copies-leo-varadkar

In an apology to staff on Saturday, Bellew wrote: “Some of you have spotted similarities between the message I did last week and a recent speech by the Irish taoiseach, Leo Varadkar. I can only hold my hands up and apologise. I thought the taoiseach struck exactly the right note and it really resonated in my mind with what we are going through, so I borrowed some of his phrases in my recent message to cabin crew and pilots, which I realise now I should not have done.

“I would like to say sorry to the taoiseach and to all of you. I will write all of my own speeches in future.”
    The coronavirus pandemic: visualising the global crisis
    Read more

The embarrassing video emerged as easyJet and the wider aviation industry face a fight for survival, with global air travel at a virtual standstill due to the coronavirus outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Fuel prices are going to nosedive with EK grounded

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Fair play to Emirates they keeping all staff on books with cuts to salary on a scale ranging from 100% cut for senior execs, to none for low paid. Of course everyone loses flight pay and per diem, but rent allowances etc are maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Iberia should've declared a fuel emergency and rammed the damn police cars, would've been a poor day out for Mayor Crazy

Concorde hit a relatively small piece of metal on the runway in Paris and look what happened to that. Hitting any number of motor vehicles wouldn't bear thinking about.

Advertisement