Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wonder what aircraft BA will use to repatriate the Irish and British people stick in Peru. Guessing a 787 would be too small as theres is supposedly 135 Irish people alone. 777 or 747 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A350 or 777ER

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Emirates appear to have changed their mind

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Gael23 wrote: »
    Emirates appear to have changed their mind
    How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think it's utterly bizarre Emirates would so such a U turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Think it's utterly bizarre Emirates would so such a U turn.

You would have thought they would have done a bit of research before announcing anything.

Looking at the tweets, I don't think there was a u-turn.

The one announcing services being suspended was the first tweet in a 5 tweet thread. The ones I posted were 2 and 3 in the same thread, posted at the same time. Looks to me like people read the first one only and assumed everything was cancelled, but reading the rest would have shown there were some limited services going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Strange time for Turkish Airlines to start a tv campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

JohnC. wrote: »

The one announcing services being suspended was the first tweet in a 5 tweet thread. The ones I posted were 2 and 3 in the same thread, posted at the same time. Looks to me like people read the first one only and assumed everything was cancelled, but reading the rest would have shown there were some limited services going on.

The letter to all staff said all passenger services cancelled, and outlined pay cuts.
    At the moment there all incoming crew are tested and pending a non positive test must self isolate for 14 days- cant fly. Test results running at 48+ hours. So logistically staffing these flights could be difficult. Sounds like a political decision, which has could create operational difficulties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

JohnC. wrote: »

The original tweet (with all pax flights cancelled) was deleted when they posted the update.

john boye wrote: »
    The original tweet (with all pax flights cancelled) was deleted when they posted the update.

And it looks like full passenger cancellation is now back on.
    Last updated: 23 March 2020, 08:30 Dubai (GMT+4)
    As per the UAE government’s directive, Emirates will temporarily suspend all passenger services for two weeks starting from 25 March 2020. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused to our customers and travellers. These measures are in place to contain the spread of COVID-19, and we hope to resume services as soon as feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

scooby77 wrote: »
    Fair play to Emirates they keeping all staff on books with cuts to salary on a scale ranging from 100% cut for senior execs, to none for low paid. Of course everyone loses flight pay and per diem, but rent allowances etc are maintained.

50% cut for the pilots kept on, though they have their accommodation and schooling paid by the firm for a year.*

*Allegedly due to location of posting

Lots of Irish and Brits stuck in Oz relying on the either of the ME3 to get them home. Wonder will we see any repatriation flights to there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lots of Irish and Brits stuck in Oz relying on the either of the ME3 to get them home. Wonder will we see any repatriation flights to there ?

State/DFA is already considering one to PER due to a substantial number of Irish registered medics looking to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There are lots of Irish in Australia worried their visas will run out before they can leave

Gael23 wrote: »
    There are lots of Irish in Australia worried their visas will run out before they can leave

Think the government over there are going to extend visas but like here work has dried up big time so people are running out of funds.

Once there are scheduled flights I don't see an issue. You can get back for €370 at the moment.

Major cities and hubs will continue to connect with each other once things settle down.

easypazz wrote: »
    Once there are scheduled flights I don't see an issue. You can get back for €370 at the moment.

Major cities and hubs will continue to connect with each other once things settle down.

Emirates and Etihad are finishing up on Wednesday so a lot of people are beginning to panic going by the "Irish Around xxxx" groups Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

To be honest I think repatriation flights will continue and would be surprised if airlines like Emirates didn't continue to play a part in them given they're typically arranged by governments who have reason to keep playing ball with one another. Or for example the Aussies might get Qantas to do the run so they can offload people they'll otherwise need to support/hospitalise. It's the general unconstrained movement of people they need to control for and stop. I wonder are government still bothering with quarantine in special facilities, though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

CEO of BA Alex Cruz has now indicated he will not take a salary for the next two months. Hinting job cuts are now being examined at BA.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jack1985 wrote: »
    CEO of BA Alex Cruz has now indicated he will not take a salary for the next two months. Hinting job cuts are now being examined at BA.

He has a neck on him. EI CEO taking 50% cut in salary (to be honest bonuses for CEOs are usually the largest amount of renumeration)

Qantas CEO taking no salary this year (granted in got 26M last year!!!)
    Delta and United Execs are also forfeiting salaries.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    To be honest I think repatriation flights will continue and would be surprised if airlines like Emirates didn't continue to play a part in them given they're typically arranged by governments who have reason to keep playing ball with one another. Or for example the Aussies might get Qantas to do the run so they can offload people they'll otherwise need to support/hospitalise. It's the general unconstrained movement of people they need to control for and stop. I wonder are government still bothering with quarantine in special facilities, though?

AFAIK if you want to go into China you get quarantine.

Its probably too early to do it anywhere else until all citizens who want to be repatriated can get home first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

easypazz wrote: »
    AFAIK if you want to go into China you get quarantine.

Its probably too early to do it anywhere else until all citizens who want to be repatriated can get home first.

Hong Kong introduced 14 days quarantine for Europeans about 10 days ago. My sister was planning to travel to visit a sick relative. Her trip was only going to be 12 days. Obviously not travelling BTW!!

Tenger wrote: »
    Hong Kong introduced 14 days quarantine for Europeans about 10 days ago. My sister was planning to travel to visit a sick relative. Her trip was only going to be 12 days. Obviously not travelling BTW!!

Looks like for the next while anybody travelling to another country will only do it if they are planning on staying there.

After a while different countries / regions will become "clean" and people probably allowed travel freely between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Storm 10 wrote: »

Sure they’ll have all those A380s to scrap shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sure they’ll have all those A380s to scrap shortly!

Private Company running that business.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Private Company running that business.

Very much tongue in cheek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Very much tongue in cheek!

Aviation "experts" singing a new song the last few days. Read last night that this could relaunch wide body business and the likes A380 and 747 will be in demand. For health screening reasons hub to hub flights will become popular and safer and hub to spoke or spoke to spoke will die out. Meaning the death of the max and 321LR etc.

Hub to hub with few slots means.... big planes.
    All pure speculation but makes sense.

Advertisement