Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DUB-KIR and DUB-CFN to stay going

https://www.radiokerry.ie/stobart-air-maintain-kerry-dublin-flights/

Stobart to stop international flights on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Aviation "experts" singing a new song the last few days. Read last night that this could relaunch wide body business and the likes A380 and 747 will be in demand. For health screening reasons hub to hub flights will become popular and safer and hub to spoke or spoke to spoke will die out. Meaning the death of the max and 321LR etc.

Hub to hub with few slots means.... big planes.
    All pure speculation but makes sense.

I dont really believe this. Perhaps needed for cargo initially but once passenger operations start they'll want the more efficient airplanes again.

Also the A321 Neo and 737 Max are primarily short to medium haul aircraft so it wont have a huge effect on those. Of course the recession and airline collapses will have a much bigger effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I dont really believe this. Perhaps needed for cargo initially but once passenger operations start they'll want the more efficient airplanes again.

Also the A321 Neo and 737 Max are primarily short to medium haul aircraft so it wont have a huge effect on those. Of course the recession and airline collapses will have a much bigger effect

You could be right. It's not my opinion, just something I read. None of us really have any idea what the next few months hold.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Aviation "experts" singing a new song the last few days..................For health screening reasons hub to hub flights will become popular and safer and hub to spoke or spoke to spoke will die out. Meaning the death of the max and 321LR etc.

Hub to hub with few slots means.... big planes.
    All pure speculation but makes sense.
    Willie Walsh taking the opposite view that once the industry recovers we will see more point to point flying due to the lower risk for the airlines of such routes.

Remains to be seen of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Qantas flight QF1 will be stopping at Darwin before proceeding onto Heathrow from tomorrow onwards due to restrictions at Singapore.

Would this make this the longest A380 flight or does the Auckland - Dubai still hold that record ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Gael23 wrote: »
    There are lots of Irish in Australia worried their visas will run out before they can leave
    That will be overlooked considering the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ryanair grounding their flights till May, except for repatriation & cargo/medical flights

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1242376531508432897

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I assume they still plan to operate a small number of flights. For example Dublin to the UK. At least they are still selling tickets for the UK in April at a vastly reduced frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I assume they still plan to operate a small number of flights. For example Dublin to the UK. At least they are still selling tickets for the UK in April at a vastly reduced frequency.

That is pretty much what they've said. The air bridge between UK & Ireland is a vital service even just for cargo and mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Nijmegen wrote: »
    That is pretty much what they've said. The air bridge between UK & Ireland is a vital service even just for cargo and mail.

They are also planning to operate short flights to keep the aircraft airworthy and crew current - first two examples this morning doing a flight around Manchester and back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wtf ? wrote: »
    That will be overlooked considering the circumstances.

You'd hope so, but when it comes to Australia and VISAs, you're just not quite 100%. They can be merciless.

Was just reading on Facebook and taking it with a pinch of salt but in regards to repatriation flights from OZ for Irish people it's looking like the Irish Australian Chamber of Commerce and Department of Foreign Affairs is working with Qatar Airways to gauge the number of people looking to return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was just reading on Facebook and taking it with a pinch of salt but in regards to repatriation flights from OZ for Irish people it's looking like the Irish Australian Chamber of Commerce and Department of Foreign Affairs is working with Qatar Airways to gauge the number of people looking to return home.

We might just see an A380 in Dublin one day!

Gael23 wrote: »
    We might just see an A380 in Dublin one day!

I reckon if it does happen it probably a few 777s or A350s.

Or shove them onto the flight to London and transfer from there, given the air bridge to LHR will remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Have a friend who works in NOC, apparently they were told they are to be temporarily laid off for 6 weeks from next monday. How realistic is that timeframe? Seems a bit soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Have a friend who works in NOC, apparently they were told they are to be temporarily laid off for 6 weeks from next monday. How realistic is that timeframe? Seems a bit soon.

Absolutely nobody knows.. we are in very unknown territory

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Are British Airways bringing the Irish back from Peru? If so would it be to London via BA then back to Dublin via EI? Cant see EI doing it on their own metal since there is British citizens to be brought home aswell.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I guess we find find out tomorrow. G-YMMN a B777-200 (BAW9110) is on it's way to Peru at the moment. There are reported 400 Brits stranded there so I would think there was or will be another repatriation flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ryanair are ceasing ops
    Aer Lingus are pulling back to a skeleton service to certain key cities and to shift freight on behalf of the Irish government
    No PSO routes

Won't be any commercial traffic so it could shutdown Knock and leave it as uncontrolled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Ryanair are ceasing ops
    Aer Lingus are pulling back to a skeleton service to certain key cities and to shift freight on behalf of the Irish government
    No PSO routes

Won't be any commercial traffic so it could shutdown Knock and leave it as uncontrolled

PSO Routes are still continuing with Stobart as far as I know. Unless that’s changed in the past 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Knock doesn't have any PSO routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,693 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In post #503 you just said no PSO routes (the only ones are Dublin - Kerry and Dublin - Carrickfinn) without any reference to Knock, implying that those two route were going to stop.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say and it appears I’m not alone - post 503 might need an edit? :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ryanair are ceasing ops
    No PSO routes

Very limited UK-IE flights next week and beyond, albeit a much reduced Ryanair schedule (2 flights a day). Can still be booked online while other flights cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Yes I know that. As already pointed out DUB-KIR and DUB-CFN are the only PSO routes. Knock was cancelled years ago. So not sure what you mean, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Trump says they will not allow Boeing to fail. Being who he is, you can probably take half this with a pinch of salt (like giving stock to the people), but the quote is
    We’re not letting Boeing go out of business. You have to help them temporarily. It’s not going to be a long time, temporarily.

And they’re going to pay interest and they’re probably going to give stock in their company to the people of our country, to the taxpayers of our country, to the citizens of our country.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Trump says they will not allow Boeing to fail. Being who he is, you can probably take half this with a pinch of salt (like giving stock to the people), but the quote is

If it transpired that Boeing executives were hacking into the MAX from the ground and sadistically flying them into the ground to watch the terrified expressions of all onboard, the US government would still bail them out. Boeings existing troubles before this were dragging US economic growth by a half a percentage point. That's massive for just one company let alone getting into the strategic capabilities Boeing provides their defence industry and the plain old prestige factor.

Boeing will never be allowed to fail.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I guess we find find out tomorrow. G-YMMN a B777-200 (BAW9110) is on it's way to Peru at the moment. There are reported 400 Brits stranded there so I would think there was or will be another repatriation flight.

2 more BA 777s currently enroute to Lima to repatriate stranded citizens. Along with a LOT 787 and a TAP A330.

Two British Airways aircraft and one TAP Air Portugal aircraft are en route to Lima in Peru in order to evacuate European citizens

• Advertisement

Qantas retires its remaining 747s earlier than planned this weekend due to Covid 19.

https://www.ifn.news/posts/qantas-retires-boeing-747-fleet/

Advertisement