Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

2 more BA 777s currently enroute to Lima to repatriate stranded citizens. Along with a LOT 787 and a TAP A330.

Two British Airways aircraft and one TAP Air Portugal aircraft are en route to Lima in Peru in order to evacuate European citizens

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1244302335641296897?s=19

G-YMMR is on the ground in Lima as I post. G-YMMK has just departed Lima.
    G-YMMC & G-YMMF are the two enroute, now approaching Peru. Hopefully no one gets left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

G-YMMR has just departed Lima for LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Easyjet seem to be parking everything.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-easyjet-grounds-all-flights-due-to-covid-19-pandemic-11965516

"EasyJet's decision means it has parked all its 344 aircraft but has made planes available for additional support work should the government request help."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Qantas retires its remaining 747s earlier than planned this weekend due to Covid 19.

https://www.ifn.news/posts/qantas-retires-boeing-747-fleet/

Awe that's sad. I flew on one of there 747's way back in 2010.

I see Easyjet have grounded there entire fleet now and that both Virgin Atlantic and Loganair which is now the UK's biggest regional airline after the demise of FlyBe are looking for help from the UK Government.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Easyjet seem to be parking everything.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-easyjet-grounds-all-flights-due-to-covid-19-pandemic-11965516

"EasyJet's decision means it has parked all its 344 aircraft but has made planes available for additional support work should the government request help."

Lots of ferrying their fleet today for storage.

7 aircraft moved from BFS to LPL for storage.
    Approx 15 moving from EDI, GLA and NCL to SEN for storage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Qantas retires its remaining 747s earlier than planned this weekend due to Covid 19.

https://www.ifn.news/posts/qantas-retires-boeing-747-fleet/

Well it looks like Qantas aren't retiring them but parking them up.

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-747-parking/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

With the likely hood of project sunrise not going ahead they may hang onto them a bit longer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Good example of the blogger echo chamber (as mentioned in the article itself) creating rumours that get "confirmed" by the number of sites talking about the rumour.

Tenger wrote: »
    Good example of the blogger echo chamber (as mentioned in the article itself) creating rumours that get "confirmed" by the number of sites talking about the rumour.

Have KLM themselves stated they are retiring there own or could it be spoof as well ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was the same in the A380 scrapping thread with posters repeatedly stating that two Qantas A380s were being scrapped because they also happened to be in Dresden, even after it had been pointed out that were simply in for refurb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8170635/BA-grounds-flights-Gatwick-coronavirus.html

BA have stopped operations in LGW.
    Focus now is T5 only at LHR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,693 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8170635/BA-grounds-flights-Gatwick-coronavirus.html

BA have stopped operations in LGW.
    Focus now is T5 only at LHR.

Ah Tenger, The Daily Mail????

I thought we had some standards here! ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

330 on the way to China, Bird strike in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

With the likely hood of project sunrise not going ahead they may hang onto them a bit longer.

You never know... project sunrise may still happen.... given how transiting has been an issue during this crisis direct flights might be more desirable. eg: Qantas increasing frequency on Sydney - Perth - LHR and rerouting its Singapore Stopover on the A380 via Darwin instead.

You never know... project sunrise may still happen.... given how transiting has been an issue during this crisis direct flights might be more desirable. eg: Qantas increasing frequency on Sydney - Perth - LHR and rerouting its Singapore Stopover on the A380 via Darwin instead.

True. I'm starting to become sceptical about what I hear from aviation bloggers on YouTube lately. I actually didn't know until the other day that Qantas only decided to go with the A350-1000 but haven't actually put any orders in for them yet. Either way I don't think it's going to be happening for a good while.

And yes for the sake of the people in Darwin I would like to see Qantas do stopovers with the A380 all the time, it will be nice if it brought more employment to that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

True. I'm starting to become sceptical about what I hear from aviation bloggers on YouTube lately. I actually didn't know until the other day that Qantas only decided to go with the A350-1000 but haven't actually put any orders in for them yet. Either way I don't think it's going to be happening for a good while.

As I understand it they have selected the A35k in principle but couldn’t commit to the order without pilots’ union agreement to the Sunrise project. Airbus had granted an extension on the order window for this, which may have been further extended due to the current Covid 19 crisis. Think from recent reports that the unions are now on-board so hopefully it will go ahead and it’s now just a case of when. Fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

With the price of oil it may suit the A380.

The level of medical screening, 14 day quarantine etc. that may follow this could be problematic for mass transit for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

easypazz wrote: »
    With the price of oil it may suit the A380.

The level of medical screening, 14 day quarantine etc. that may follow this could be problematic for mass transit for years.

I reckon we could be mov8ng to ‘travel / medical certs’ to gain entry as is norm for some foreign countries etc.

Probably will be monitored as part of boarding process

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Already done many places, the yellow vaccination book would easily get a stamp added for either vaccinated or recovered case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Already done many places, the yellow vaccination book would easily get a stamp added for either vaccinated or recovered case.

You assume there will be a vaccination.

And you assume a recovered case won't get it again, from what I have seen this can mutate into new strains which you won't be immune to.

Also a vaccination book looks nice, but could be forged.

And forward 2 years and MARS or SARS or something else breaks out, does the world lock down air travel on the first sign of a potential problem.

Chinese cabin crew now wear full PPE on all flights, you are tested before, during and after the flight, and quarantined for 14 days on arrival.

We will start with something like that here and work back from it, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

First casualty for SNN, AA not returning this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

SNNUS wrote: »
    First casualty for SNN, AA not returning this summer.

None of the American carriers will be back this summer, that's a guarantee.

United were due back on March 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

No it's not a guarantee, it's a guess.
    You may well be correct but equally things could rebound quickly enough in June/July or as late as August.

I would tend to agree but just based on facts for now AA is first casualty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

sparrowcar wrote: »
    No it's not a guarantee, it's a guess.
    You may well be correct but equally things could rebound quickly enough in June/July or as late as August.

I work in SNN, none of those carriers will be back this summer. Its not a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I work in SNN, none of those carriers will be back this summer. Its not a guess.

Apologies I assumed you were talking about DUB. Why so confident they won't return?

Look stick to confirmed suspension of routes,
    DL and UA flights still for sale but not confirmed that
    They are cancelled until unable to book them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

LHR down to single runway ops from next week

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/london-heathrow-to-close-runway-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic-a4405711.html

Gatwick only open to scheduled flights between 2pm and 10pm from next Wednesday.

Unprecedented stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Aviation2k19

Do u know if EI will be operating JFK / BOS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI continues to operate JFK and BOS

Advertisement