Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a holiday booked for June 27th which I plan to go ahead with

It’s a woeful time for pilots who are also losing currency on their licenses in addition to loss of jobs. I’m guessing the simulators are being booked choc-a-bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Gael23 wrote: »

It may not be your call. It will take a long time for travel to "get back to normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Galway is lovely that time of year :D

Caranica wrote: »
    It may not be your call. It will take a long time for travel to "get back to normal".

If Ryanair are back in business and I don’t go I’ll loose €300 which is a hit I’m nit willing to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Where are you trying to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

It’s a woeful time for pilots who are also losing currency on their licenses in addition to loss of jobs. I’m guessing the simulators are being booked choc-a-bloc.

Its the opposite for us. All ground based training cancelled to reduce risk of spread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If Ryanair are back in business and I don’t go I’ll loose €300 which is a hit I’m nit willing to take.

You may not be allowed to enter the country you want to travel too and if you are you may have to undergo 14 days of quarantine.
    Its not as sinple as saying I'm going no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

There are worse hits in the world at the moment, you will be able to rebook, do not count on going anywhere until August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What's the chances of going to lanzarote on the 13th of july? All booked and paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

As far as I know most of the simulators are closed at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Swiss have closed their air borders until June 13th at least. Surely likely other countries will eventually follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Others have mentioned it and I have noticed the skies eerily empty. A quick look on Flight Radar and one cargo plane over Ireland at the moment.

What about aircraft manufacturers? Will cause deep difficulty for Boeing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Flying Dublin to CDG on June 13, and onwards to Mexico City. I’m not too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Phil.x wrote: »
    What's the chances of going to lanzarote on the 13th of july? All booked and paid.

Jet2 this week announced its going to run holidays again from June 17th:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/11347119...days-june/

And Finland announced its opening its borders from the middle of May:

https://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/finland-news/domestic/17520-finland-to-keep-borders-closed-to-non-essential-travel-until-13-may.html

Austria, Denmark, Czech Republic etc are all gradually opening up now from next week too. It won't be over night, it'll take a month to 6 weeks, but things are moving in the right direction everywhere in Europe now.

Given all of that if I was betting I would bet on things being open almost everywhere by the start of July. Certainly a lot quieter than usual though. But I think you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd be more sceptical. The Canaries are doing very well but will be quite concerned about importing cases. If mainland Spain is still struggling, they don't want everyone going to Canaries. I think the local Govt has said it'll be later in year before hotels open properly.
    Re Finland, I think there's a big difference between currents measures until 13 May and opening borders on 13 may.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

In typical Michael O'Leary style, to stimulate traffic after all this, Ryanair have launched a seat sale for the month of September.

Seats to Europe from €34.99 each way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In typical Michael O'Leary style, to stimulate traffic after all this, Ryanair have launched a seat sale for the month of September.

Seats to Europe from €34.99 each way.

That's actually rather expensive for an FR seat sale.

• Advertisement

That's actually rather expensive for an FR seat sale.

For some UK routes yeah but not bad for some destinations. As some have said before, the days of ultra cheap seats in future may be gone with reduced capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

As some have said before, the days of ultra cheap seats in future may be gone with reduced capacity.

No bad thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No bad thing...

How cheap were they though? In 2000 I flew Dublin to Newark return for 199 punts with American. Looking at at least twice that now.

I paid €210 for return flights to Treviso for this March and am still chasing Ryanair for a refund of over half of that. That's not cheap.

I think cheap flights were already a thing of the past before now?

No bad thing...

Maybe - up until all this began to could fly to Gatwick and other UK destinations even at very short notice for under €40 return....it's those sort of flights I'm talking about.

I agree not all flights were ultra cheap, that is supply and demand at work for you but there were certainly lots of flights happening because it was so cheap, there was no real need for a lot of people to be going, it was just because they could....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What about aircraft manufacturers? Will cause deep difficulty for Boeing
    I wonder if ironically for Boeing this could be a lifesaver. It will suppress orders for the neo, giving Boeing precious time to sort out the issues with the max. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Swiss have closed their air borders until June 13th at least. Surely likely other countries will eventually follow suit.

Where did you see this? First I'm hearing of it and I'm in Switz!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

im the same TFS but it depends on borders been open are we allowed will aircraft be flying. talk is not much happening till at least sept according to mirror today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

If it in Spain don’t be making plans just yet.
    The Spanish government are talking about a phased return to large scale tourism and this might be Sept at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If it in Spain don’t be making plans just yet.
    The Spanish government are talking about a phased return to large scale tourism and this might be Sept at the earliest.

I would be very wary of going to Spain (or Italy) in the near or medium future, even if travel is resumed. I would be very nervous about the presence of Covid-19 in tourist resorts cities or any place with movement of people. I imagine it will be very difficult to completely eradicate the virus in say, the next 6-9 month time-frame. Too much risk.

Advertisement