Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Face mask wearing is likely to persist for sometime.

I will miss the chicken and stuffing sandwich.

Fitting username for our times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Pax locator form filling exercise extended to 09/07 with no indications for what the industry can expect to do thereafter.

May I suggest O'Leary and Doyle get the Vintners on-board, maybe able to get things moving for the industry.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

FR are doing inflight service. Though no hot drinks in July apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

One way for Etihad to drum up business for the next 2 years.

Buy a voucher now valid up to 2 years and they add 50% of its value for free.

Obviously you risk the airline going bust but that's unlikely in this case.

Capped at $65,000 though, that’s a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

One way for Etihad to drum up business for the next 2 years.

Buy a voucher now valid up to 2 years and they add 50% of its value for free.

Obviously you risk the airline going bust but that's unlikely in this case.

Thats a very good idea for the airline. Get cash flow in now, lock in customers to you for the future, and generate some good marketing buzz.

And worst case scenario even if they had absolutely massive take-up on it they could then just increase their flight prices in 6/12 months time when people are cashing them in en-masse to dilute the value of the vouchers.

I wonder if we'll see any other airlines copying them? I'd probably take Aer Lingus and Emirates up on a similar offer personally as they're my most regular airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

HTCOne wrote: »
    The ham and very cheesy toastie was another good’un.

I lived through the Chicken and Stuffing uprising of 2013/14 when EI removed the best selling food item in favour of pastrami that no one ever bought...

Remember sitting on the apron in SXF when a colleague reported in on the menu change while he was sitting in CDG, that was a rough 8 months till Shamrock House capitulated. Even managed to secure one in business class much to the amusement of the cabin manager.

Not much in the way of food choices before boarding, the first wave is no fun unless you can get fed somewhere. Its all sealed and wrapped so no reason why they can't do a meal service, hot beverages might be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Pax locator form filling exercise extended to 09/07 with no indications for what the industry can expect to do thereafter.

May I suggest O'Leary and Doyle get the Vintners on-board, maybe able to get things moving for the industry.:rolleyes:

Is the 09/07 confirmed or just speculation? There has been no indication from irish government or DOT on this as to when it will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

BZ wrote: »
    Is the 09/07 confirmed or just speculation? There has been no indication from irish government or DOT on this as to when it will end.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1273339773973921795?s=19

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I lived through the Chicken and Stuffing uprising of 2013/14 when EI removed the best selling food item in favour of pastrami that no one ever bought...
    Grim times indeed!!
    Not much in the way of food choices before boarding, the first wave is no fun unless you can get fed somewhere. Its all sealed and wrapped so no reason why they can't do a meal service, hot beverages might be an issue.
    It may not even be regarding onboard interaction. It could be that the product supplier is unable to guarantee supply? Maybe they took the (perhaps) easier option to halt onboard service to negate outgoing costs and prevent possible interruptions to supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

According to the indo kicking the can down the road for next government to decide. Important though following talks at EU level there'll be no mandatory quarantine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Tow

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-18/qantas-international-flights-coronavirus-airlines-survival/12366300
    Qantas cancels overseas flights until late October, highlighting airlines' struggle for survival

The Federal Tourism Minister says short-term international visitors will probably not be allowed into Australia until at least next year. That has prompted Qantas to cancel all its international flights up to late-October, with the potential exception of flights to and from New Zealand that may be facilitated if a travel "bubble" between the two countries is put in place.

"With Australia's borders set to remain closed for some time, we have cancelled most international flights until late October," a Qantas spokesperson told AAP in a statement.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Was driving at the back of the airport yesterday just as a Qatar airways plane took off. GREAT to see international carriers returning.

Wonder what the load factor was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Think Qatar was one of few that didnt stop flying into DUB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Guess they couldn't leave a Dreamliner out in storage for years, so it's going on domestic routes for school holidays :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/06/air-new-zealand-to-deploy-dreamliner-on-domestic-routes-for-school-holidays.amp.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jacovs wrote: »
    Think Qatar was one of few that didnt stop flying into DUB.

The Gulf carriers kept flights going but I believe it was transit pax only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just as well considering that Qatar has the higher per capita infection rates as per worldometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Qatar got banned from flying to Greece after importing 12 new cases on a flight a few weeks ago. They were temperature checked in Doha before boarding without issues, then failed a COVID test on arrival.

The US, Brazil and UK riddled, new outbreak in Beijing, god almighty this is some pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Whether this disease suffers a resurgence or not, people will be going on holidays. Everyone has had enough and countries are bursting at the seams with trouble. Lockdown has gone on for too long, if they try to put a second lockdown on with a second wave the compliance rates will be much lower, this virus is something we're just going to have to learn to live with.

It is very much similar to post 9/11, we never eliminated terrorism but we did manage the risks and take necessary precautions. Something similar will happen with this virus going forward, we won't ever get to a stage where there are 0 cases on the planet, much like how we never got to a point where we have 0 terrorists. All it takes is 1 uncontrolled case and the whole planet is at risk, it cannot be eradicated 100% and the sooner we accept that the sooner we can go back to normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Heard a rumour today that Weston may not re-open at all , has anyone heard similar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Nibs05 wrote: »

is Aer Lingus too big to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

is Aer Lingus too big to fail?

I'd say it's probably still the same as the last time you asked that.

john boye wrote: »
    I'd say it's probably still the same as the last time you asked that.

Absolutely - 2 weeks later. Still not paying out cash owed to customers, saying they will reduce wages to 30%, publicly stating they are in survival mode and in all this continuing to take bookings for flights they are unlikely to run.

If it was anyone else people would rightfully be asking serious questions.

If you can fact check any of what I said please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Face mask wearing is likely to persist for sometime.

I will miss the chicken and stuffing sandwich.

I think face masks are up to end of August ATM. I'm hoping things are good enough by then that they won't be needed. Slim hope I think but one can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

shooter69 wrote: »
    Heard a rumour today that Weston may not re-open at all , has anyone heard similar?

Heard a rumour that it's been sold and will be rezoned for a housing development. I took it with a large bucket of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

If you can fact check any of what I said please let me know.

No, all looks right to me.

Lufthansa may sell Brussels Airlines or let it go bankrupt

Brussels Airlines employs 4,200 people and said it would cut its fleet of aircraft by 30%

An Airbus A350 of the German airline Lufthansa prepares to take off for Los Angeles.
    Lufthansa could let its Belgian subsidiary Brussels Airlines go bankrupt or sell it, La Libre newspaper reported on Friday, citing anonymous sources at the airline.

Brussels Airlines, which employs 4,200 people, said last month it would cut its fleet of aircraft by 30 per cent and its workforce by a quarter to ensure its survival during and after the coronavirus crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

shooter69 wrote: »

Have also heard this. Wouldn't be surprising in the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

1123heavy wrote: »
    Whether this disease suffers a resurgence or not, people will be going on holidays. Everyone has had enough and countries are bursting at the seams with trouble. Lockdown has gone on for too long, if they try to put a second lockdown on with a second wave the compliance rates will be much lower, this virus is something we're just going to have to learn to live with.

It is very much similar to post 9/11, we never eliminated terrorism but we did manage the risks and take necessary precautions. Something similar will happen with this virus going forward, we won't ever get to a stage where there are 0 cases on the planet, much like how we never got to a point where we have 0 terrorists. All it takes is 1 uncontrolled case and the whole planet is at risk, it cannot be eradicated 100% and the sooner we accept that the sooner we can go back to normal life.

The disease is resurging... In many US states, since lockdown has lifted the number of cases is going up and up and up. Here's their daily average "curve" coming up again:

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1273029270898716673?s=20

I think your solution of "We'll just get on with it" is unlikely to wash with the masses, to be honest. Most people I talk to don't want to go on a holiday abroad while this thing is still live. For our own aviation sector, TATL is a vital component. The idea that we're gonna fling open the borders to the US and have unimpeded travel while they're all going to pool parties and licking door handles at Trump rallies is unlikely I think.

And then the other vital component of the market, business travellers. What business is gonna open themselves up to the liability of putting Mary or John on a plane to attend a meeting when everything has been going good enough on Zoom?

The comeback is gonna be slow. Very slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The disease is resurging... In many US states, since lockdown has lifted the number of cases is going up and up and up. Here's their daily average "curve" coming up again:

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1273029270898716673?s=20

I think your solution of "We'll just get on with it" is unlikely to wash with the masses, to be honest. Most people I talk to don't want to go on a holiday abroad while this thing is still live. For our own aviation sector, TATL is a vital component. The idea that we're gonna fling open the borders to the US and have unimpeded travel while they're all going to pool parties and licking door handles at Trump rallies is unlikely I think.

And then the other vital component of the market, business travellers. What business is gonna open themselves up to the liability of putting Mary or John on a plane to attend a meeting when everything has been going good enough on Zoom?

The comeback is gonna be slow. Very slow.

I'd agree the states has botched it, nobody want's to open their borders to tourism with them. Similarly the UK is being shunned in Europe by some countries too.

Advertisement