Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Danger here, in terms of providing a bailout: What if it transpires in a years time, or two, that actually airlines need to be smaller because post-covid travel patterns change permanently. Now the union is running to the minister for transport just like in the good old days to keep propping up losses.

It's the unions job to fight the corner of the staff but given that this could become a 3-way dance between union, employer and state as bailout provider I'd be wary of sending cash while they're actively talking about strikes.

The aviation industry should be demand driven instead of capacity driven. The travel market will have shrunk considerably when things return to normal, business travel will largely be replaced by Zoom style conference calls and the days where the bus or taxi to the airport is more expensive than the flight won't be back anytime soon.
    Airlines should reinvent themselves to reflect the demands of the new market, no government should be baling out LC airlines with fleets of 300-400 aircraft who will then struggle to fill those seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Caquas

Ryanair's earnings call this morning and CNBC knows Michael O'Leary makes great copy.

"Oh, you say, hit the popcorn.....Michael O'Leary never disappoints"

He criticises the UK rules as "a badly managed overreaction" and he confirmed that he intends to sue the Irish government over our rules.

Giving subsidies to airlines in Europe is like "giving machine guns to monkeys".

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/he-never-disappoints-us-tv-news-finds-entertainment-in-michael-o-leary-1.4314649

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Caquas wrote: »
    Ryanair's earnings call this morning and CNBC knows Michael O'Leary makes great copy.

"Oh, you say, hit the popcorn.....Michael O'Leary never disappoints"

He criticises the UK rules as "a badly managed overreaction" and he confirmed that he intends to sue the Irish government over our rules.

Giving subsidies to airlines in Europe is like "giving machine guns to monkeys".

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/he-never-disappoints-us-tv-news-finds-entertainment-in-michael-o-leary-1.4314649

Ryanair UK accessed a £600m loan from the UK Exchequer boosting its liquidity, ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Ryanair UK accessed a £600m loan from the UK Exchequer boosting its liquidity, ironic.

Not only that but they took the loan just to support their balance sheet, not because they were in any dire need of it.

Some of the questioning this morning never fails to disappoint, unprepared TD's as usual.

A complete waste of 10 minutes by Sinn Fein questioning the DAA rep on data collection of PPS numbers by state entities which is nothing to do with DAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Special committee on impact of Covid-19 on Aviation has spent the last 15 minutes talking about Bunratty Castle and King John’s castle.

Special committee on impact of Covid-19 on Aviation has spent the last 15 minutes talking about Bunratty Castle and King John’s castle.

Actually, laughed at that... some hope the industry has with the visible intellect of some of these deputies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr2-live/

Aer Lingus and Ryanair speaking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

In fairness they and the other tourist spots run by Shannon are the only reason the group was profitable last year, the airport itself is a money pit.

Quite a refreshing comment from a Deputy, ''If ye are waiting for civil servants to be proactive ye'll be waiting a few years, may I suggest that ye lead this effort in testing as ye can drive change as big employers.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

The Fine Gael bloke in the white suit and the pink tie.
    The airlines haven't a prayer if he's an example of Govt. thinking.

I was surprised that Aer Lingus had to take the brunt of the questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

dubdaymo wrote: »
    The Fine Gael bloke in the white suit and the pink tie.
    The airlines haven't a prayer if he's an example of Govt. thinking.

I was wondering is he going to a Christening or something after the hearing :D
    dubdaymo wrote: »
    I was surprised that Aer Lingus had to take the brunt of the questioning.

There was more parish pump politics being pushed re-Shannon than anything else. The big picture is lost completely on this Government. The industry is screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

The sad thing is it’s probably true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There was more parish pump politics being pushed re-Shannon than anything else. The big picture is lost completely on this Government. The industry is screwed.

This isn't a government committee, its cross party. You generally find that a lot of the TDs on committees aren't 'of the standard' for senior positions in their parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Anyone a link to the recording ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭trellheim

You generally find that a lot of the TDs on committees aren't 'of the standard' for senior positions in their parties.
    Only holds for Government TDs .

Opposition TDs on committees tend to be of the highest quality of the two committees I regularly follow .

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Doylers wrote: »
    Anyone a link to the recording ?

https://www.oireachtas.ie/hourly/

Committee 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

de biz wrote: »

Spot on thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

trellheim wrote: »
    Only holds for Government TDs .

Opposition TDs on committees tend to be of the highest quality of the two committees I regularly follow .

Speaking of opposition, the more i see whats going on since the election, varadkar is looking like a genius, hell take about 6 months of a holiday in opposition and let that bunch of clowns completely shaft themselves (us too unfortunately). Hell be back in power by next year and only have the left to deal with.

Im no fan of varadkar but he seems to be the only one who has some sort of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

kona wrote: »
    Speaking of opposition, the more i see whats going on since the election, varadkar is looking like a genius, hell take about 6 months of a holiday in opposition and let that bunch of clowns completely shaft themselves (us too unfortunately). Hell be back in power by next year and only have the left to deal with.

Im no fan of varadkar but he seems to be the only one who has some sort of ability.

This does look like a mess of a government and difficult to see it lasting ,Varadkar playing with a straight bat on the media but I would say there is a lot going on behind the scenes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

It's so refreshing actually having a proper opposition. It really hammers home how farcical the supply and demand arrangement was between FF & FG in during the last government.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭sailing

Having listened to the committee meeting there can be no doubt the industry is heading into uncharted territory in Ireland.

It must have been frustrating for both CEO’s listening to such sh@@ from the majority of the committee TD’s. Most were ill prepared, ill equipped to understand the macro consequences of our travel policy. A rapid change of direction is needed but I’ve no faith in this crowd of amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He's not in opposition, he is tanaiste, but point taken, I think everyone is getting flashbacks of ff flushing the Irish economy down the drain, it might not be a popular opinion but I think enda Kenny was a very good leader and the country thrived while he was leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

The FT had a short piece on Ryanair yesterday with some interesting figures. Some vaguely positive highlights in there:
    Ryanair grounded 99 per cent of its flights for the three-and-a-half months to the end of June; in July it was back to running 40 per cent of its schedule. Ryanair reckons it will run as many as 70 per cent of flights in September.

At a time when cash is king, Ryanair has oodles of the stuff. It had almost €4bn at the end of June, after borrowing €600m through the Bank of England’s bond buying scheme. Sector-leading cost control has also helped. Ryanair trimmed costs 85 per cent in the three months to June. Not bad, even if revenues did fall further. Since its July restart, Ryanair is cash break-even or better. 

https://www.ft.com/content/87b1d615-423b-42d1-9f80-c50bbc5dec58

They've obviously got huge customer service problems, and treat their staff very poorly, but Ryanair really do never cease to impress with otherwise how well run their operations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

****ing FF! They are killing Irish aviation industry !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

He's not in opposition, he is tanaiste, but point taken, I think everyone is getting flashbacks of ff flushing the Irish economy down the drain, it might not be a popular opinion but I think enda Kenny was a very good leader and the country thrived while he was leader.

I know this is aviation and not politics but to call Kenny and a good leader is questionable, Kenny was an accidental leader just happened to be in the right place and time etc.
    As for Leo he is another mouth piece had him knock on my door during the 2011 elections, At the time the governments wanted to sell off all state assets.
    I asked him why he wanted to sell off the ESB and did he know the critical work done here in Ireland and throughout the world with ESBI, Lets just say his minder had to drag him away.
    People have to remember the majority of TD/Ministers have never worked shift hours or in an actual job, The only time they see an airport is when flying off on junkets or holidays.
    There is one crowd they listen too and that's all these FDI companies scattered throughout Ireland, Remember the majority of these companies need cargo and pax access if that is limited or cut off all together there be calls left right and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Most probably a funeral, for some reason politicians of all parties and none use funerals as self promotional events...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

sailing wrote: »
    Having listened to the committee meeting there can be no doubt the industry is heading into uncharted territory in Ireland.

It must have been frustrating for both CEO’s listening to such sh@@ from the majority of the committee TD’s. Most were ill prepared, ill equipped to understand the macro consequences of our travel policy. A rapid change of direction is needed but I’ve no faith in this crowd of amateurs.

These committees have always been theater. It was amusing to see Willie Walsh back in front of them when IAG was aiming to buy EI, he shared a few jokes with some of them like Timmy Dooley about the old days when he'd be in front of them often at the helm of EI. He was well able for the BS that got thrown up in the theater and was more well received for having doffed the the cap.

Attending these committees is just that - doffing the cap so that when the civil servants and the minister deliver a solution with the industry it isn't seen that it was all done behind closed doors.
    Blut2 wrote: »
    The FT had a short piece on Ryanair yesterday with some interesting figures. Some vaguely positive highlights in there:

https://www.ft.com/content/87b1d615-423b-42d1-9f80-c50bbc5dec58

They've obviously got huge customer service problems, and treat their staff very poorly, but Ryanair really do never cease to impress with otherwise how well run their operations are.

Their cash position has been helped immensely by the way they've been parceling out refunds slowly but surely. When you use your customers as a bank you can extend quite a bit, as anyone involved in a Business to Business sector in particular can tell you! Of course being Ryanair there'll be a €9.99 sale and all will be forgiven by the travelling public. Amazing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Of course being Ryanair there'll be a €9.99 sale and all will be forgiven by the travelling public. Amazing business.

No one is forcing you to fly, stay home and save lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Now is a good time to introduce a green levy on the carriers, the airport and the consumers.suggest 8% moving to 10% next year

Advertisement