Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a warranty from another town?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

this will be my first time buying a car, I'm in Dublin and found a really good BMW 3 hours away from here, it's a BMW Service garage, but it is not a official BMW warranty.

Is it worth it to get this? I'm concerned about having any issue with the car and having to drive 3 hours to get it fixed and then 3 hours back to Dublin, even worse, what if the car won't start?

I really liked the car, but I'm not sure how to deal with this warranty.

Anyone had a similar issue or any tips?

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unless it's a manufacturer warranty (which it isn't) you'd have to go back to them alright. It also depends on what the warranty actually covers and the age/mileage/history of the car

However, if it's the standard 3 month engine/gearbox warranty that most used cars come with, and the car is in good condition and you've checked it out, I'd probably take it if the spec/price was right.

Your alternative is to look for something close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 justluh

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Unless it's a manufacturer warranty (which it isn't) you'd have to go back to them alright. It also depends on what the warranty actually covers and the age/mileage/history of the car

However, if it's the standard 3 month engine/gearbox warranty that most used cars come with, and the car is in good condition and you've checked it out, I'd probably take it if the spec/price was right.

Your alternative is to look for something close to home.

Thanks for the reply,

it's a 2 years warranty on a 2017 car, I think this will be a hassle if I ever have to go and ask them to check something that I suspect it's wrong or to actually do any service on it.

I agree with you, if it was a 3 month w., I could get an extended warranty from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

With a used recent bmw, there is only 2 ways to go. Main dealer 2 year extended warranty obtained by buying the car from main dealer or alternatively buying the extended approved used car warranty from bmw on a yearly basis.
    There will be no issue putti.g the extended warranty on a 17 car.Ring bmw and ask for a cost on this.
    Go back to seller and see if you can go half on the warranty cost. Might suit seller too to pay a few hundred and be free of comeback on the car.

Advertisement