Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Management Fees vs House

Options
  • 27-02-2020 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was wondering what exactly is covered in apartment maintenance fees. Basically I am looking to compare the annual cost of a house vs an apartment excluding the mortgage.

Clearly a house will probably need more maintenance but wanted to check what is covered in mgmt fees as some are as high as 1.7k.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Apartment maintenance fees usually cover block insurance so you only need contents for your apartment. Also generally will include waste charges too.

1.7k isn't bad. My old apartment was 2.4k.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,905 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Depends on a lot of things about the complex.

Mine for example comes with an underground parking spot, so part of the fee is the maintenance of that area, the electric gates to the parking, lighting etc.

Then all the bins are covered, maintenance of communal areas. Pedestrian electric gates to the complex.

The main day to day difference I found between owning an apartment and a house in that regard is not having to pay bin charges. That and obviously not having to pay for any building fixing/maintenance that you get with a house.

One thing we do have to look after though ourselves is the windows. If they need replacing that'll come out of our own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering what exactly is covered in apartment maintenance fees. Basically I am looking to compare the annual cost of a house vs an apartment excluding the mortgage.

Clearly a house will probably need more maintenance but wanted to check what is covered in mgmt fees as some are as high as 1.7k.

Thanks!

They vary from development to development and even within developments depending on apartment type (own front door v shared entrance).

I have an own door unit, my fees include refuse, buildings insurance, common area maintenance, landscaping, caretaker and some other stuff.

Refuse tends not to be universal, it's included in ours but I know more developments where it's not included (those tend to only have own front door units)

Advertisement