Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Eir FMS Broadband deal

• 27-02-2020 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I have had the Eir FMS Broadband service for the last 3 years. Getting decent speeds on it but sometimes I have gone over the 250 gb allowance and the 60 euro a month cost was pretty pricey.

I was in the eir store on Monday and the sales guy told me about a new FMS deal that was starting the following day so I went in on Tuesday and signed up for it. 12 month contract, 750gb allowance and 29.99 a month for 12 months. So I am getting triple the allowance for half the price :)

Thought I would mention it if anybody was interested in signing up for it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Nice, much better. 250 was always a bit tight.

Any speed reductions, throttling or similar T&Cs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 NMHS

I purchased this but was cut off at 434.481GB for some unknown reason. I'm just lucky that I hadn't disconnected the old fixed line system yet or we'd all be offline during a pandemic.
    Not the level of service you would expect.
    Other than that speeds are around 30Gigs down, 14 up with LTE antenna in the attic. Hope to get more when I put it on a pole. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Hi Guys,
    I just got this service and have 4 bars on signal. Would I still benefit from an external aerial? Max download speed I'm getting is around 10/12mb. Eir sent me Huawei b535 with option of external antenna
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

It'll be interesting to hear reviews on this and to see will it force Vodafone's hand on their mobile broadband offer. I'm on a Vodafone's mobile broadband at the moment, with the same modem, but at €40 / m for 300gb it's a bit shabby.

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I just got this service and have 4 bars on signal. Would I still benefit from an external aerial? Max download speed I'm getting is around 10/12mb. Eir sent me Huawei b535 with option of external antenna
    Thanks

Very likely that you would yes. Caveat; depends on any obstructions between you and the mast. Generally the higher you can get the antenna, the better will be the signal. If you have your antenna in the house then the house itself is obstructing.
    This will give an idea of what kind of reception you should get https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map
    Remember to select 4G or you'll be looking at the 2G map.
    I bought a TPlink router and antenna on Amazon. I've never had a good experience with a router sent by the pnone companies.

• Advertisement

FYI, if you need to contact Eir in relation to a problem with mobile broadband, you'll save time by ringing 1800 310444 instead of their 1905 number who won't be able to deal with it.
    Also be aware, their system is setup to reset the 750Gig allowance at 23:59 on the 25th of the month. If you sign up on say the 7th like I did you will for some reason only get a part of that 750 in the first month and when you use that up, in my case 435.484 GB, you are cut off until the next cycle.
    I dealt with a very nice man who apologised for this and sent the feedback up the chain.
    Computer says no! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

NMHS wrote: »
    Very likely that you would yes. Caveat; depends on any obstructions between you and the mast. Generally the higher you can get the antenna, the better will be the signal. If you have your antenna in the house then the house itself is obstructing.
    This will give an idea of what kind of reception you should get https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map
    Remember to select 4G or you'll be looking at the 2G map.
    I bought a TPlink router and antenna on Amazon. I've never had a good experience with a router sent by the pnone companies.

just got the Eir Fms today and the speed is terrible ,cant break the Mb ,screen shot suggests my area is very good
    also have the Vodafone router and checked and i got 50gb speed
    local Eir mast is less than 100m away aswell
    any tips on how I can make it better

oleard1987 wrote: »
    just got the Eir Fms today and the speed is terrible ,cant break the Mb ,screen shot suggests my area is very good
    also have the Vodafone router and checked and i got 50gb speed
    local Eir mast is less than 100m away aswell
    any tips on how I can make it better

Vodafone speed test and upstairs away from the router and getting decent speeds

vs
    Eir router and sitting 5 feet from the router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Vodafone speed test and upstairs away from the router and getting decent speeds

vs
    Eir router and sitting 5 feet from the router

The strong signal probably means everyone in the area is connected using 4G causing congestion.

Try changing the settings to 3G only, made a huge difference for me.

https://www.speedtest.net/iphone/3834505376.png

Cork981 wrote: »
    The strong signal probably means everyone in the area is connected using 4G causing congestion.

Try changing the settings to 3G only, made a huge difference for me.

https://www.speedtest.net/iphone/3834505376.png

How can I change the settings to 3g ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

How can I change the settings to 3g ?

I assume the modem is a Huawei B528, login to the management portal in your browser which I’d guess is 192.168.1.1 and under network change to to 3G only. Username and password could be on the side or under the modem.

I don’t have that model so maybe someone here and send you more accurate instructions.

Cork981 wrote: »
    I assume the modem is a Huawei B528, login to the management portal in your browser which I’d guess is 192.168.1.1 and under network change to to 3G only. Username and password could be on the side or under the modem.

I don’t have that model so maybe someone here and send you more accurate instructions.

I managed to google it
    changed to 3g and not much improvement
    I have tried it in nearly all the rooms
    just cant seem to get a decent signal
    looks like I'll have to return it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Just thought I'd report back here. I got the new eir deal with Huawei b535 router and in some rooms of the house I had 5 signal bars but speeds still weren't great. I bought an poynting antenna and have it up in the attic angled towards the tower which is approx 4-5km away. I will probably get it put on a pole eventually but speeds have increased and it is far more stable. Some of the figures here if anyone wants to see them

RSRQ-6.0dB
    RSRP-88dBm
    RSSI-65dBm
    SINR4dB

Advertisement