Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on outdoor webcam

Options
  • 27-02-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

i am looking to install an outdoor webcam for my business.

I work on a golf course and i thought it would be a good idea to put in a webcam looking at our 1st teebox. Members and visiotors can go to our website and see exactly what the playing conditions are. If the course is closed due to bad weather i could leave a sign on the teebox - a simple way for golfers to check the course status.

so i have 2 questions:

1 - can anyone recommend a decent webcam for this? it will need to work outdoors, although it will be under a canopy and have some shelter.

2 - how do i get a live feed from the cam to my website? :confused::confused::confused: hopefully this ain't too difficult!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Do you have an already existing DVR system? HikVision has an option that allows you to access the RTSP stream from another system. So you can make say 'Camera 11' available from a web address internally within the local network. So say you can open VLC player on a computer and then watch the stream by pasting the RTSP link in.

Once you can watch it in VLC on another machine on the network then you need to ask IT to port-forward the stream onto your public IP address. This way computers on the public internet can see the stream.

You probably don't want to give people the raw link to the stream as they won't know how to open it in VLC. There are services that allow you to embed an RTSP stream into say Wordpress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hef3pvmSqY

Advertisement