Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY-Kitchen Island

• 27-02-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am planning on DIY kitchen island with breakfast bar, I am really a newbie and wondering what tools I will be needing & Materials:

***Current tools I have:

Hammer drill

***Final Results:
    It should look something like the image below

contemporary-kitchen.jpg

for the Kitchen unit I will be using probably the ones in Ikea

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/knoxhult-base-cabinet-with-doors-and-drawer-white-30326790/

and I will just build the breakfast bar on it but I don't know what wood I will need and materials.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Not sure I'd choose a cabinet with a 3mm hardboard back as the main component for a freestanding island.

Start with a standard kitchen cabinet, something with an 18mm MFC back/top.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ak84

For your wood I would get a 4 mtr length of solid wood worktop. My choice would be Iroko. €700+
    Circular saw to cut it in half lengthways.
    1 mtr lengths at the sides and a 2 mtr long breakfast bar.
    Use the extra worktop to put up shelves with cast iron brackets.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think 1.2 metres in width would be uncomfortably tight to be used as a breakfast bar for 2 people at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Starting with just a hammer drill.

How far are you looking to go with tool acquisition whilst the breakfast bar might look simple it requires circular saw, Cordless drill, screwdriver, sander, measuring tape, 90 degree angle and fixings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

listermint wrote: »
    Starting with just a hammer drill.

How far are you looking to go with tool acquisition whilst the breakfast bar might look simple it requires circular saw, Cordless drill, screwdriver, sander, measuring tape, 90 degree angle and fixings

I took it to mean he had a hammer and a drill, rather than a hammer action drill.

The rest of your post still stands :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

The only thing you dont need is a hammer drill. It would be quicker cheaper and less stressful to get someone in to put it together. If you slip up on the counter top it's another 600+ for a new solid wood top.

keithdub wrote: »
    The only thing you dont need is a hammer drill. It would be quicker cheaper and less stressful to get someone in to put it together. If you slip up on the counter top it's another 600+ for a new solid wood top.

IKEA counter tops are cheap, obviously they're not solid wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am really a newbie.

No offence - but I think this project is far too advanced for a DIY newbie ....the materials are expensive and it will have to be a first class job with exact, precise joints to look anything in a dining room/kitchen.

I would get an experienced kitchen fitter/carpenter to do this for you...watch him/ her work and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Hi guys,

I am planning on DIY kitchen island with breakfast bar, I am really a newbie and wondering what tools I will be needing & Materials:

***Current tools I have:

Hammer drill

***Final Results:
    It should look something like the image below

contemporary-kitchen.jpg

for the Kitchen unit I will be using probably the ones in Ikea

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/knoxhult-base-cabinet-with-doors-and-drawer-white-30326790/

and I will just build the breakfast bar on it but I don't know what wood I will need and materials.
    If your determined to give it a go you will find plans and videos on YouTube that will show you what tools and materials you will need. Try here, https://www.thespruce.com/free-kitchen-island-plans-1357128

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

awec wrote: »
    IKEA counter tops are cheap, obviously they're not solid wood.

They are cheap and short. I thought you were going to make something similar to the picture so I guessed you would be buying a full lenth or countertop. If it's only a small island than you are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Ny missus originally want some thing like this

https://www.bitterrootdiy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/kitchen-island-with-breakfast-bar-1-e1541776159917.jpg

But I thought the image above will be much easier to do. But like you guys said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Maybe Google "ikea hack kitchen island" and see if anything looks acceptable and doable.

Maybe Google "ikea hack kitchen island" and see if anything looks acceptable and doable.

We looked at the ones in ikea, for instance - https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tornviken-kitchen-island-off-white-oak-40391657/

But the problem is that no doors and drawers on it to stop dust accumulating on the pans.

But I wonder if we can install a door or drawers.

Do you think it will be cheaper to get a professional to do it for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do you know where your existing kitchen units came from , go buy one of their units ,that matches yours .(. and the doors and handles ), you'll need matching or complementary timber sheets ,for the back and sides , and a worktop , you could get an extra wide one with a finished edge on both sides.. as the breakfast bar ..
    This can make it a bit unstable unless you support the overhang ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

How hard can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

It is almost never cheaper to get a professional to do things like this but the results are usually worth paying the extra money. This is something you will have to look at every day so better to have it looking good than an eyesore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is almost never cheaper to get a professional to do things like this but the results are usually worth paying the extra money. This is something you will have to look at every day so better to have it looking good than an eyesore

Never cheaper if you have the tools and skills. Always more expensive if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

listermint wrote: »
    Never cheaper if you have the tools and skills. Always more expensive if you don't

The OP doesn't have the tools or the skills.

Unless he can get a lend of a few power tools you could easily spend €700 on decent tools ( screwgun skill saw or plunge saw and possibly a jig saw or multi tool) depending on what the op will be doing to the island like sockets Plumbing and then there is the cost of them services. You can pick up islands on done deal for €200 that would be a good option in my eyes

• Advertisement

keithdub wrote: »
    Unless he can get a lend of a few power tools you could easily spend €700 on decent tools ( screwgun skill saw or plunge saw and possibly a jig saw or multi tool) depending on what the op will be doing to the island like sockets Plumbing and then there is the cost of them services. You can pick up islands on done deal for €200 that would be a good option in my eyes

Pretty sure he wouldn't be allowed to run power to the island anyway, and I highly doubt that he's going to run plumbing. :)

How about this one below:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tornviken-kitchen-island-off-white-oak-40391657/

Is it possible to install a door on it from ikea? I like it but the wife prefers with a door and a raised bar.

I actually have both cordless and corded drill with hammer action and the only skills I have is putting in a curtain rod.

If you could find doors that fit you could put them on, but it's an odd width so I doubt you'll find doors.

Also it won't look right, as the counter top doesn't have enough of a lip on it to cover doors on the front. The doors will be sticking out and look odd.

Advertisement