Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train from Cork city to Kildare

Options
  • 27-02-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi folks, just wondering if any regular rail users on here that may be able to advise if above Train going to Kildare on a Sunday evening is totally packed or is it easy enough to get a seat without booking.
    TIA
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

wally9 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if any regular rail users on here that may be able to advise if above Train going to Kildare on a Sunday evening is totally packed or is it easy enough to get a seat without booking.
    TIA
    Brian
    There's a train every hour to Dublin, but not all stop in Kildare. Why would you not just book the relevant trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wally9

There's a train every hour to Dublin, but not all stop in Kildare. Why would you not just book the relevant trip?

Thank you for your response. There are three trains in the afternoon that stop at Kildare, last one at 1725, no, definitely not hourly. My question was, are the trains quite full, being a Sunday evening. Booking seats does not always guarantee your seat as people randomly take them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I dont see it being particularly bad, most people on the route will be going to Dublin so can get any of the hourly services, so no particular rush hour on a Sunday. I'd say go for it, book your seat and if someone is in it get the staff to help out

bingo9999 wrote: »
    I dont see it being particularly bad, most people on the route will be going to Dublin so can get any of the hourly services, so no particular rush hour on a Sunday. I'd say go for it, book your seat and if someone is in it get the staff to help out

Will go ahead and book,it is just I am flying into Cork arriving @1pm, looking at possibility of flight delay, but will take a chance and hope for the best.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Will go ahead and book,it is just I am flying into Cork arriving @1pm, looking at possibility of flight delay, but will take a chance and hope for the best.
    Many thanks.

Most tickets allow you to travel on the train before or after the one booked.
    Obviously, seat booking applies only to actual train booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Good point - if its timing youre worried about you could do a flex ticket, though as you say if only 3 a day stop in Kildare might not be that helpful.

Could you (and maybe this was your original question) just grab a ticket if you make it, and if not take a bus? If that is your question I would not expect it to be sold out on a Sunday

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Good point - if its timing youre worried about you could do a flex ticket, though as you say if only 3 a day stop in Kildare might not be that helpful.

Could you (and maybe this was your original question) just grab a ticket if you make it, and if not take a bus? If that is your question I would not expect it to be sold out on a Sunday

Semi-flex is cheaper than flex and allows you to travel on the train before and after the train you booked that also connect to your destination.

If only three trains connect with Kildare, book a semi-flex for the middle and that'll cover you for all three.

I didn't realize that, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Thank you for your response. There are three trains in the afternoon that stop at Kildare, last one at 1725, no, definitely not hourly. My question was, are the trains quite full, being a Sunday evening. Booking seats does not always guarantee your seat as people randomly take them anyway.

Hourly to Dublin, but I’m unsure of Sunday’s. As I said, not all stop in kildare, 3 would be about correct. All you can do is book your seat. If someone sits in it, just say it to them. Most people are reasonable enough. I would guess a train at 1725 on a Sunday to Dublin would be very busy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Booking seats does not always guarantee your seat as people randomly take them anyway.

And you don’t ask them to move!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement