Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Hall of Fame 1992-

• 27-02-2020 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

The Premier League has revealed plans to launch its official Hall of Fame, which will recognise and celebrate the exceptional skill and talent of players who have graced the competition since its inception in 1992.

Membership of the Premier League Hall of Fame will be the highest individual honour awarded to players by the League.

The first two inductees to have their careers commemorated in the Premier League Hall of Fame will be revealed on Thursday 19 March.

Fan vote

A shortlist of nominees will also be announced at the same time, with fans invited to vote to help select the additional former players to join the Premier League Hall of Fame 2020.

"Since 1992, the Premier League has been home to world-class players who have defined generations and provided us with compelling football season after season," Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said.

"A place in the Premier League Hall of Fame is reserved for the very best. It will be an occasion for our fans around the world to look back over the years and help us celebrate some truly exceptional playing careers."

The League will honour the first two inductees to the Premier League Hall of Fame at a special event on Thursday 19 March.

So then...!

Some might want to copy and paste their thoughts from the PL thread.

Speaking personally I really do not like HoF polls, and that the PL has decided to enter the fray smacks of just trying to add appeal in the North American market where they LOVE this sort of thing.

No mention of the criteria yet but it logic says retired players should be the nominees, that way we can have a more objective view within an historical context.

I'm going to ask a mod to add a poll (if that's possible - or maybe just start a thread with a poll and bolt this on to it) once we know if it's open to retired only or active players as well.

Comments

Bitter pill for a non Arsenal-supporting Irishman to swallow, but I think Thierry Henry has to be in there.

4noniJ1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Plenty of players deserve a place in the hall of fame but I would say the first three to be inducted should be Ryan Giggs, Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bergkamp and Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cantona should be in the first two. In fact, he should get both places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd imagine Giggs and Shearer will be the first two inductees. Giggs for having more PL medals than anyone, and Shearer for the most goals. The fact they're both British won't hurt their chances either as the inaugural inductees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

best manager...SAF
    top scorer...shearer
    most medals...giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is it just going to be 2 per year? They'll be at it bloody ages if that's the case. Feels like there are probably 50 names you could throw in there right now that no-one would have any issues with. Would kind of prefer they did something like that... like, either starting with a base foundation of 20 or so, or maybe inaugurating 11 per year for the first few years since they're playing catch-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is it just going to be 2 per year? They'll be at it bloody ages if that's the case. Feels like there are probably 50 names you could throw in there right now that no-one would have any issues with. Would kind of prefer they did something like that... like, either starting with a base foundation of 20 or so, or maybe inaugurating 11 per year for the first few years since they're playing catch-up.
    Totally agree with you. They have a lot of catchup to do. Maybe start with a best 11 of the 90’s, 11 of the 00’s, and 11 of the 10’s? Maybe that’s too many, but would be a good start. Plenty of places to fill even after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It should be a public vote. The power of Egypt would get Salah in first, then the Liverpool fans would get Lucas in. Win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fan votes need to be kept a million miles away from this. Bar maybe the thing about additional shortlisted players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Fan votes need to be kept a million miles away from this. Bar maybe the thing about additional shortlisted players.

Its going to be a mess after a few years anyway with a load of British lads getting in, I'm predicting Robbie Savage to be this Hall of Fame's Koko B.Ware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    then the Liverpool fans would get Lucas in. Win win.

Got some laugh out of that. Very good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Should be journos and ex players, managers and current players, managers voting and gettin voted for. Journos just voting obviously. And heres just somethin to think about maybe referess should be voted into it as well as doin the votin.

Prob wont go as far as referess gettin voted in but def should be asked to vote after all theyve been close up and personal with most players

In the NFL there is a selection committee mostly made up of the media. Every City with a franchise sends one, if there's more than one franchise in the City they send one for each franchise.

anyone can nominate someone for the HoF simply by wiring to them. It's difficult to see fan favourite Lucas getting past the selection committee.

Also couldn't see someone like Roy Keane accepting an inaugural award, unless Sky pay him. It's to mickey mousish early on.

Imagine, a football Hall of Fame in the UK that excludes Moore, Best, Greaves, Dalglish, Paisley, Clough, Revie etc.

It's a good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Wenger and Bergkamp.

Without those 2 it would still be Hoofball Galore in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Where is this hall of fame going to be? Haven't seen anything about the physical location?

A broom closet in Sky Sports Studios I reckon. The US ones are huge establishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Imagine, a football Hall of Fame in the UK that excludes Moore, Best, Greaves, Dalglish, Paisley, Clough, Revie etc.

Very good point. Maybe should be changed to football hall of fame

• Advertisement

A broom closet in Sky Sports Studios I reckon. The US ones are huge establishments.

Yeah I've been to the hockey one (though that one isn't in the US)

Cooperstown is a life goal of mine to get to.

But I would think the PL one needs a few inductees before being open to the public. Unless it's just a generic PL exhibition to start with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There already is an English Football Hall of Fame, I assume they're all in there. It's in Manchester.

Dalglish has won a PL so could get in there

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been to the hockey one (though that one isn't in the US)

Cooperstown is a life goal of mine to get to.

But I would think the PL one needs a few inductees before being open to the public. Unless it's just a generic PL exhibition to start with

I actually knew the name of the baseball one was Cooperstown. Something like that is all about the history of the game and the people that played it. I just can't shake the feeling of "meh" with this one.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

8-10 wrote: »
    Dalglish has won a PL so could get in there

I'd have Him, Wenger and Ferguson in immediately. Mourinho too and maybe Ranrieri.

Player wise, restrict it to players who are retired at least 10 years.

Cantona, Bergkamp, Keane, Shearer, Adams as the first lot. Maybe Zola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I actually knew the name of the baseball one was Cooperstown. Something like that is all about the history of the game and the people that played it. I just can't shake the feeling of "meh" with this one.

Does seem very makey-uppey type of thing. Having a dedicated building with exhibitions of general football interest, then this included would be worth seeing.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mushy wrote: »
    Does seem very makey-uppey type of thing. Having a dedicated building with exhibitions of general football interest, then this included would be worth seeing.

There all ready is a hall of fame though in Preston? I thought?

Football didn't begin in 92 though, which I think sky and premier league really really want people to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There already an English football hall of fame based in the football museum in Manchester that started in 2002, this PL one is just a big marketing thing to compete with the American sports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Football_Hall_of_Fame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Fergie and Giggs have to be the first ones inducted.. No manager or player will ever come close to winning that many Premier league titles with the same club..

• Advertisement
Advertisement