Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concerned about Tonto-cat

• 27-02-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

This is the neglected little cat who came to me some months ago.

This morning he was not around He lives in the ruined cottage and always emerges as soon as I do, chatting away and winding round my ankles,

Mid morning I went out and called him. He was beyond the big gate and was very slow to respond, and then only a half hearted ankle rub. The sun was on his face and it wasn't until he was eating that I saw one eye was closed there looked to be blood. ( I cannot yet handle him so that was the nearest I could get)
    He ate a little then vamoosed.

Not seen him or heard him since although I have called frequently and that is not normal.

Searched later and he is in the old cottage but will not come to me. He sneezed a couple of times, and his coat looks odd , kind of ruffled.

I threw food in to him ( cannot get in properly myself) and he was eating a little but not his usual appetite.

Apart from him, his father ( Stinkertom) mine are the only cats on the island so cat flu seems out? Thankfully.

Wait and see time I know. Just hoping it is that he got thumped by Stinkertom as has happened before and that he gets his strength back. There is no way I can catch him etc.

Any ideas welcome and thank you. It is so strange without him calling and knocking at the door. He is family now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tonto finally came to me earlier; I had called and called to no avail. Then heard a muted familiar cry.

He is very sick. Nose and chest full of gunk; whistles when he breathes. Did not even seek to come in. Took a lick of food; I opened a tin of tuna as I knew he could not smell anything. To no avail.

Can a cat develop cat flu with no infecting critter? I have had this happen once but where there were other cats around. Not like here.

He is safe in the old house; I know where he hides. Roof is unsafe so I cannot go in and we have solid deluges today then Storm Jorge. Not going to be able to get out of the door..So it is up to him and his resilience. I am hoping that the many months of really good feeding, and affection, will help him to survive. And prayer. I have no idea of his age etc. And at least he came to me.

Very glad I do not use the ferry any more as I would be hard pressed to be civil to his "owner". VERY hard pressed indeed.

Say a prayer? He is an adorable little guy. He did so well to come to me earlier. I have realised recently that he is not per se trying to get into the house but to get to me.. when the door has been left open when I am outside he shows no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

so hard on you Graces, when you can't get close to him,

if you can keep him hydrated, maybe some warm chicken broth? melted ice cream if his throat is sore.
    prayers sent for Tonto. and look after yourself, with this bad weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Baybay

I think all you can really do is all you’re doing & make sure he has access to food. My fellow doesn’t go too far but managed to get beaten up one night a few weeks ago & was feeling very sorry for himself for a few days during which he ate little, kept out of arms reach & slept most of the time but what he did do was drink a lot of milk which he normally doesn’t bother with at all. Maybe this would keep your fellow going until he gets some strength back & hopefully fights off whatever is making him feel off colour.

sdp wrote: »
    so hard on you Graces, when you can't get close to him,

if you can keep him hydrated, maybe some warm chicken broth? melted ice cream if his throat is sore.
    prayers sent for Tonto. and look after yourself, with this bad weather.

Thanks. I know I have done and am doing the best I can for him. he would not even touch Dreamies just now. I am hoping he has gone back into the old cottage out of the weather. Plenty of water around. Weather is closing in aready.

If he has the resilience he will come through; last night he would not even emerge so this is better. And as I said he has been well and consistently fed for months with a very good appetite.

He is full of gunk; his nose whistles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

I hope he recovers. Must be so hard to watch knowing there isn't much you can do. Cats are very resilient and hopefully the care and love he received will help him get through this

• Advertisement

Talking to him whenever I go out. There is food within reach and if he does not emerge early tomorrow I will climb into the cottage somehow.

Many years ago the place I rented had a gaggle of ferals nearby. One of the cats came in through the bathroom window, ill and seeking safety. I cared for her until she died. A gentle creature.

We all do the best we can . Always .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Good luck, Graces7, but look after yourself first.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Good luck, Graces7, but look after yourself first.

Thank you kind sir; looking after the cats IS looking after me... one of my GPs when I was first ill said caring for kittens was helping me so much he was going to advise all his patients to get a cat... they need me. And that means so much. Tonto is so devoted; I realised this week that he was only trying to get into the house to be near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I did a search online and apparently cats can be life-long carriers of the cat flu virus without ever showing any symptoms. It’s quite possible that one of the other apparently healthy cats on the island is a carrier and this is how Tonto caught the virus.
    Carriers shed virus particles which can remain active for up to a week, meaning the cats dont actually have to come into direct contact to catch it.

Hope the little fella is ok, you’re doing all you can. He has shelter, food, water and love. Thats all you can do.

twomonkeys wrote: »
    I did a search online and apparently cats can be life-long carriers of the cat flu virus without ever showing any symptoms. It’s quite possible that one of the other apparently healthy cats on the island is a carrier and this is how Tonto caught the virus.
    Carriers shed virus particles which can remain active for up to a week, meaning the cats dont actually have to come into direct contact to catch it.

Hope the little fella is ok, you’re doing all you can. He has shelter, food, water and love. Thats all you can do.

Thanks; there is by the way only one other cat out here so that cannot be it. Tonto is in hiding as he always is in storms so wait and see time. Blessings and thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He may have FIV which has flared up

I'd several former feral cats come down with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Any update on poor Tonto?
    What a horrible situation to be in Graces7 - not yours, and not tame, and inaccessible, and a storm.
    I hope storm Jorge wasnt too bad with you - a bit of a non-event with us - and I hope Tonto pulls through.
    Bless you for being his only carer

aonb wrote: »
    Any update on poor Tonto?
    What a horrible situation to be in Graces7 - not yours, and not tame, and inaccessible, and a storm.
    I hope storm Jorge wasnt too bad with you - a bit of a non-event with us - and I hope Tonto pulls through.
    Bless you for being his only carer

Thanks; it is an honour to care for these. Their devotion is endless and humbling

HOR HAY as they tell us the storm is pronounced is still raging out here; nothing I am not well used to so that is fine. I made my choice of home with my eyes wide open and was a decade up in Orkney which is far far worse. It is a lifestyle like no other. Love it

Nothing more I can do. He never emerges in gales. When it eases he will come out if he can.

And I am sure that the last few months have been better for him than all that went before. I miss him! Honoured I was here for him and that my lot told him where to get a meal!

What was the storm like in your little outpost

smurfjed wrote: »
    What was the storm like in your little outpost
    VERY VERY LOUD!

SO much hail this time round and very cold, as it still is. I am abed with 4 of the cats !

Just a nasty one and still so unsettled.

You ok out there in the heat?

Tonto is back..

I was into the ruined cottage searching to no avail .Calling every time I am out

Just heard him a few minutes ago... His eyes are a mess and he is wheezy but eating well and loving to be petted, Ankle rubbing.
    So relieved. So very happy.

Filled a dish with cat food, milk and an egg and he is wading through it with great appetite

His eyes still look as if he has been hit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Baybay

Poor fellow but glad he’s doing better.

Delighted to hear this Graces7. . He is lucky to have you.

<snip>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    This forum may not be used to arrange private transactions.
    Please do not use it for this purpose again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Great news - was thinking about you all on your island - and delighted to hear that Tonto is still there and munching - a good sign
    What do you mean when you say "his eyes still look like he's been hit"?? Poor little chap - maybe a cold teabag to rub over his eyes would help soothe, or some cooled boiled water? Could you get an antibiotic sent over?

• Advertisement

Oops sorry

Little guy seems back to normal.
    Coming out to greet me, ankle winding, eating! Such a relief.

But one eye still looks as if he has been bashed, even clawed which is Stinkertom's favourite mode of attack. Is it possible that a blow to the eye could cause nasal congestion and lethargy etc?

Stinkertom is his dad by the way; and is the only other cat on the island apart from mine and Tonto.

Great news - was thinking about you all on your island - and delighted to hear that Tonto is still there and munching - a good sign
    What do you mean when you say "his eyes still look like he's been hit"?? Poor little chap - maybe a cold teabag to rub over his eyes would help soothe, or some cooled boiled water? Could you get an antibiotic sent over?

He is not handleable; he is better in that I can stroke him back while he is eating but that is all. That has taken months

The bad eye looks to have a scratch near and below it that has drawn blood .

Knowing Stinkertom who attacks every cat he gets near? And it was puzzling re cat flu as these are the only 2 other cats here.

So thankful he is recovering

Graces7 wrote: »
    He is not handleable; he is better in that I can stroke him back while he is eating but that is all. That has taken months

The bad eye looks to have a scratch near and below it that has drawn blood .

Knowing Stinkertom who attacks every cat he gets near? And it was puzzling re cat flu as these are the only 2 other cats here.

So thankful he is recovering

Bloody Stinkertom :D
    My sisters cats - mostly rescues/ex-ferals - are terrorized by a neighbouring tom - he corners them in their sleeping shed - he terrorizes all of the neighbourhood cats, and is known universally as GINGER KELLY :D:D:D (gosh I hope the Kellys and owners of rotten Ginger arent Boardsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know when our old boy gets into a fight defending his territory (he's neutered but doesn't like other cats coming near the house) he can get very withdrawn and sleep a lot, this is a sign he's in pain vet has told us, so to to was probably in pain and hiding to recover, hopefully his eye is OK, watch for infection.
    I once took a pic of an injured feral to my vet who gave me some antibiotics to put in food as I couldn't catch it, it was clearly a burst abscess, thankfully while I was feeding him a neighbour caught him and got him to vet, he was neutered and lived a couple more years with his new owner who he became quite friendly with.

Bloody Stinkertom :D
    My sisters cats - mostly rescues/ex-ferals - are terrorized by a neighbouring tom - he corners them in their sleeping shed - he terrorizes all of the neighbourhood cats, and is known universally as GINGER KELLY :D:D:D (gosh I hope the Kellys and owners of rotten Ginger arent Boardsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

roflol! Stinkertom runs when he sees me,, I have kept water handy and used it.

The man who owns ST thinks it is wonderful that the 2 fight; Tonto used to go there begging food....he refused to get him fixed; and so did the ****** who neglected Tonto although he made everyone else here fix theirs. Great entertainment apparently :eek:

And that is STs tactic; corner them.

Anyways, just been a walk with almost all my cats with me, including Tonto who has devoured a chicken leg and a dish of food. Deeply relieved.

Thanks to all here for support and advice.

He let me bathe his eyes, and there is definitely a claw scratch mark. I think he hero worships me even more now than he did before if that is possible! An incredible little cat; where does all that love come from after the life he led before? No grudge borne, just devotion, purrs... Humbles.

I always wonder how he found his way to me; if eg Oliver met him up at the farm and invited him home for dinner! It was Oliver he followed in one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

How sweet. And so good to know Tonto is getting back to normal and tucking into his grub.
    Cats are incredible and yea i'm convinced they exchange information re gullible humans xD. Same way a little stray found his way to us in November (now deballisfied and part of our gang, albeit on his terms), or a neighbour is now feeding 6 cats !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Is there a local feral cats group? They could provide a trap for you to catch him and bring to vet. It's definitely flu? He didn't eat anything poisonous... this has happened my ferals when eating a poisoned rat.
    Saying prayers here.

• Advertisement

All is well; am laid up with a serious CFS/ME relapse so been offline.

Tonto has recovered well; as I realised when I stopped panicking and with the great support here, this was an injury not an infection. A serious wallop to one eye that affected his nose.

The scratch mark is now clearly visible and the eye has almost cleared.

And he is … words! In addition to his earlier total devotion, he has new tricks. Like rolling on his back when I am trying to walk. lol... Such an adoring wee cat.

Thanks to all here. You are stars. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Tonto has recovered well; as I realised when I stopped panicking and with the great support here, this was an injury not an infection. A serious wallop to one eye that affected his nose.

And he is … words! In addition to his earlier total devotion, he has new tricks. Like rolling on his back when I am trying to walk. lol... Such an adoring wee cat.

So glad to hear he is well on the mend!
    Look after yourself Graces7, I know how debilitating your condition can be, I have a close relative in flare-up for the last few weeks. Your little visits from Tonto are sure to keep your spirits up. Gentle hugs to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Fair play to you.

We have had a few cats that adopted us over the years and they do become a patr of the family.

I hope that you recover ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

VERY VERY LOUD!

SO much hail this time round and very cold, as it still is. I am abed with 4 of the cats !

Just a nasty one and still so unsettled.

You ok out there in the heat?

What part of the country are you ?

twomonkeys wrote: »
    So glad to hear he is well on the mend!
    Look after yourself Graces7, I know how debilitating your condition can be, I have a close relative in flare-up for the last few weeks. Your little visits from Tonto are sure to keep your spirits up. Gentle hugs to you.

Thank you. Yes the cats are a lifeline with their needs, their affection and their little quirks.. I will be fine; well used to this now. I can still knit and youtube is a blessing! Went to Japan and an island called Cocos y;day where the underwater marine life was awesome...

Advertisement