Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treating footrot

• 27-02-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to treat ewes with bad foot rot, have been spraying with alymicin spray and vet says not to inject until after lambing. Not really set up for foot bathing. When treating it should the hoof be paired back or left to heal? Anyone ever use this product, if so how'd you find it?

https://www.animalfarmacy.ie/product/bactakill-purple-spray/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I don't understand the vet advice. I would not go tumbling ewes pre lambing to do feet so any ewe with footrot is given alamycin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

I would get a new vet. Treat with Alamycin injection standing up or something stronger like tylosin or draxxin if no response. Ewe will lamb with little milk if left untreated.

I wouldn’t go turning ewe up if at all possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

In a shed?
    Clean it as much as possible
    Sprinkle copper sulphate on the infected bit
    Get a disposable glove and put it on the foot and wrap with silage tape or insulation tape.

It has to be changed daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

Had to do about 10 ewe lambs for this on Sunday. Must have been brought in in a batch I bought last month, never really had problems before. A couple of them had it bad. Cleaned the foot and sprayed with the blue spray. Also gave them a 3 day course of injections that I got from the Vet. Don't really like doing this with ewe lambs that are probably pregnant but no other choice.

Advertisement