Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up new tplink router to modem, totally confused!

• 27-02-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So two weeks ago we had bad thunder and lightening that fried our sky q box and router also. An engineer from sky came to replace the sky q box and because we didn't realise the router was gone at that stage he put a sky booster box and connected our modem to the booster with blue cable. We now have a tp link router so we can have wifi in the house but I honestly can not set it up. I've rang sky three times because now we have no sky mini box working and the sky q box is not connecting to the internet for some reason,I have no idea what cable goes in what slot.i rang sky to ask how much it would cost to have two standard sky boxes put it in instead and it would cost the same?!
    Below are pics of sky booster, new tplink router and Arris modem
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I don't think the port matters in this case - they are all valid ethernet ports. Check if one of them has uplink written on it (if it does use that one).

Once connected disable dhcp on the tp-link router. DHCP hands out ip addresses and you only want 1 device handling that.

To access admin for tplink plug laptop alone directly into it via ethernet, then should be something like: http://192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Might have to read manual (the horror).

(probably the reason tp-link knocks you offline is the dhcp)

tplink <--ethernet---> sky router <---telephone line----> sky/internet
    (just disconnect/ignore other devices until you get basics working)

The booster box is supposed to connect wirelessly, so it doesn't seem correct that the engineer wired it directly to the router. It won't work unless it has a signal to repeat I suspect. Get tplink working first, then figure out booster box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Thanks for your reply, believe me if there was a manual in the box i would be able to recite it backwards by now! So should I just unhook the booster box for now so and get the router going on its own with the modem so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hold on OP.

Are you with Sky or Sky Conway? Its not common to see an Arris unit like that used. Normally its the Sky Hub and thats it.

No I'm with permanent. Never had sky broadband,that's why I'm confused as to why I've three different devices just get broadband? I rang up permanent but they were of no help basically said just plug the new router in and the wifi will connect itself. It doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Great job burying the lead there.....

• Advertisement

Permanet not permanent

Advertisement