Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Private Care?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I are expecting our first child and are trying to determine whether to go public or private.

Anybody out there have any advice on which way to go? What are the main differences between the two, apart from the extra expense?

We could get the funds together for private if we do decide to go that way but would rather put the money into the baby’s future if there’s not much difference between the two.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife and I are expecting our first child and are trying to determine whether to go public or private.

Anybody out there have any advice on which way to go? What are the main differences between the two, apart from the extra expense?

We could get the funds together for private if we do decide to go that way but would rather put the money into the baby’s future if there’s not much difference between the two.

Lots of people will tell you public is grand. Personally private is worth every penny. Pregnant with my third wouldn’t entertain any other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Everyone will have a different opinion. But as a public patient in the Coombe for two babies and a miscarriage I can say (with the exception of the miscarriage which was a pretty horrific experience) my care was excellent even with complications. Main negative was how god damn long appts in the main clinics are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Hi all,

If you have private health insurance then definitely worth it, if not, then I wouldn't even consider it as you have no idea what additional treatment you might be facing, which could run to tens of thousands of euro.

The big difference is continuity of care. You will see the same consultant for all your appointments. You don’t rotate with gp, you will get a scan at each appointment and you will see your consultant at 8 weeks and get early scan.

You will have short waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Public in the Coombe second time round. Found it great the first time, had an early scan, appointment waiting room times were short and painless, always saw the same doctor and wouldn't have had better care as a private patient after what was a complicated pregnancy. This time around we've paid for a private early scan and happy to go through consultant led clinic as a public patient again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’ve always gone private (4 babies), and if I had another 10 babies (I feckin won’t tho), I’d find the money.
    I’m 95% sure I’d have had an unnecessary section on my first if there hadn’t been a consultant there. I had a decent sized year on another, and tbh, i wouldn’t entertain the idea of a more junior doctor doing stitches, especially for a third or fourth deg tear. That said, for worse tears, they’d probably call in a reg or a consultant anyhow, but I wouldn’t take the chance.
    I’ve found it very reassuring to always have the same person for appointments, and most of the deliveries. It’s also MUCH quicker at clinic appointments, though that might vary from hosp to hosp anyhow.
    The private room was a big plus too, but that’s obviously not guaranteed, and maybe even somewhat unlikely in Dublin hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Hi all,

Firstly check to make sure your health insurance covers a private room in a maternity hospital under your maternity benefits. This is separate to your other hospital benefits and if it doesn’t then you could have a very hefty bill to pay. I had to stay 5 nights in total and the bill was over €5000 that insurance paid. I know I’m my hospital it was not possible to be a private patient with a consultant and a public patient on the ward and I had to sign a waiver saying I would pay the hospital if my insurance didn’t cover it.

Outside of that up until my baby was delivered I thought private was nice to have but not totally necessary however we had lots of complications and only for my consultant I know I’d have had to have a section so I now say it was the best money I ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

I went public on my first and going public again on my second at the moment. I couldn't fault the care I've received under the public system and personally I wouldn't see any benefits to me for going private. I'm hoping to achieve a natural birth after a previous c section and the research I've seen points to a higher instance of caesarean section and interventions in consultant led care, I'm not saying that this translates to higher instances of them if you are being cared for under the private system but definitely something to consider depending what your birth preferences are. Also, worth noting that paying for private care won't guarantee you a private or semi private room, that's largely dependent on the needs of the mothers and babies requiring care on the post natal ward at the particular point in time.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Private all the way. I went public on my first and it's something I have come to regret. I had all the signs of preterm labour but as a first time mom I didn't realise and trusted the doctors. My son is very lucky to be alive, was born at 26 weeks.

Have gone private ever since, would highly recommend it, have same consultant who I adore. Nothing is left to chance. Plus I've been admitted several times during my pregnancy and with the exception of 1 occasion, I've gotten my own room. Quicker appointments, more scans.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but this has been my experience of maternity services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’ve had 3 babies on the public system. I wouldn’t describe the care as grand, it was excellent, especially on my last baby when things got a bit hairy towards the end. I couldn’t imagine having gotten better care. We could afford private care but having weighed everything up it wasn’t a necessary spend for us.

I have friends who have gone private and have been very happy with their care (bar one who was under extreme pressure from her consultant to induce early over Christmas, we suspected he wanted his holidays!). So it’s a case of weighing up if what private offers you is important - the increased chance of a private room after birth, shorter wait times for apt’s etc

When it comes to the safety of you and your baby I absolute disagree that private patients are in better hands no matter what anyone tries to imply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

if my family member had remained on her private care she probably wouldnt have been treated the way she was, probably would have had a doctor that knew or had bothered read her complicated case history, probably would have had someone who wasnt just going to blie in and out on a temporary basis and porobbly wouldnt have had the life changing stroke due to lack of proper care and rotating doctors and aoncalled
    consultants who didnt know of her condition and didnt read the notes properly. She will never work again, lost her home because she lost her job and they couldnt keep up the mortgage payments and will never know her babys name. She is not the only person I know who has been a victim of public maternity ‘care’. By all accounts private is the way to go if your baby is covered and if you are guaranteed to have the same doctor throughout- with the usual caveat that what you pay for - a private room - may not be available on the day - the kind of nonsense the competition authority and CRO should be on top of - either yoh pay for something and get it or you are not obliged to pay for it, IMO.

The other part thats a bit mad is that on both mine, my labours were so fast the consultant almost cretainly wouldn't have made it unless they were on call that night (unlikely). Both labours went 4cm-baby in under an hour. So I could have paid 5k, been delivered by the same on call doc as the public system and I know for sure on my first there was no private rooms available so would have ended up on a ward anyways

I would say that it is a good idea to be knowledgeable and vocal about your wants and needs. I was probably a little quiet on my first. I was not on my second and I was much happier overall. I also highly recommend availing of the birth reflection service in the coombe afterwards regardless of how it went. Anne was fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I think the levels of care depends on the hospital. I have a medical condition that means my pregnancies are high risk. I had two children in the public care of the Rotunda in the last 2.5 years and they were excellent. Wait times can be long and I don't think there is as much of that if you go private. Employers are legally obligated to allow time off for appointments so the waiting around acted as a break for me a lot of the time, so it didn't bother me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Went semi-private on first and not sure if we ended up on a public ward but it was busy and noisy.
    Went public on second and ended up in a semi-private ward.

GP said there is little difference except shorter waiting times for consultant appointments.

Consultant was never seen after the last check-up so ultimately I don't think the semi-private route benefitted us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I went semi-private in the Coombe for my little boy and honestly felt the extra cost was worth it. I didn't see the need for fully private as I didn't want my own room after & semi-private offers a lot of the same benefits. While I didn't see the consultant at every appointment I did see the same doctor under her team if she wasn't there. I got a small scan at each appointment too which was nice. I could pick my appointment times and was never left waiting too long and the scans I could have in the evening which meant my partner was able to make them.
    Everyone gets the same labour rooms in the Coombe no matter what level of care you're booked in under.
    Afterwards I was in a ward with only 3 other women & they'd mixed it between first time mams and seasoned mammies which was nice. I liked having other people around and was glad in that sense that I didn't have a private room.
    If I was going again, I would definitely go semi-private again. Yes it cost a little extra but I could claim some of back from my health insurance and I feel it was worth it.

I do have a friend who was pregnant at the same time and went private (different hospital). For her the reason was that she had a lot of underlying medical issues and wanted the comfort of not having to explain these repeatedly to different doctors or midwives each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Two babies, 2 sections, both public. I couldn't fault the care I got in either pregnancy. I was given every opportunity to go VBAC with no.2, but her head was too big! I would prefer to keep my money and spend it on the baby after its arrived.

I think the private room benefits depends on the hospital. I've gone to Mullingar both times. Their wards are only 4 bed with bathroom in the ward, they are also stupidly ridiculous on visitors, so other than other patients being very inconsiderate (happened with baby no 2) there's not much of a difference imo. You still have the nurses coming in checking on you and baby so will have broken sleep regardless. I had a tough time with the blues and breastfeeding with No1 and really appreciated the company on the ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I went public the first time and on the Domino scheme this time (which I highly recommend).

For me, I’m low risk so I didn’t really see the benefit of private just for quicker appointments etc but if there is an underlying medical condition or likely complications then it’s a harder decision.

I went semi-private in the Coombe for my little boy and honestly felt the extra cost was worth it. I didn't see the need for fully private as I didn't want my own room after & semi-private offers a lot of the same benefits. While I didn't see the consultant at every appointment I did see the same doctor under her team if she wasn't there. I got a small scan at each appointment too which was nice. I could pick my appointment times and was never left waiting too long and the scans I could have in the evening which meant my partner was able to make them.
    Everyone gets the same labour rooms in the Coombe no matter what level of care you're booked in under.
    Afterwards I was in a ward with only 3 other women & they'd mixed it between first time mams and seasoned mammies which was nice. I liked having other people around and was glad in that sense that I didn't have a private room.
    If I was going again, I would definitely go semi-private again. Yes it cost a little extra but I could claim some of back from my health insurance and I feel it was worth it.

I do have a friend who was pregnant at the same time and went private (different hospital). For her the reason was that she had a lot of underlying medical issues and wanted the comfort of not having to explain these repeatedly to different doctors or midwives each time.

Just to clarity for public on the Coombe you are still under one team. By the time I had my first (lots of extra appts due to HBP and other stuff) I knew every single one of Aoife O Neills team at the time including the lady on call who delivered my baby. Additionally I did have a small scan every time I saw one of her team. I imagine if you had less appts you wouldn’t know them as well though. Scans in the evening and appts running on time did not happen in public tho

The other part thats a bit mad is that on both mine, my labours were so fast the consultant almost cretainly wouldn't have made it unless they were on call that night (unlikely). Both labours went 4cm-baby in under an hour. So I could have paid 5k, been delivered by the same on call doc as the public system and I know for sure on my first there was no private rooms available so would have ended up on a ward anyways

I would say that it is a good idea to be knowledgeable and vocal about your wants and needs. I was probably a little quiet on my first. I was not on my second and I was much happier overall. I also highly recommend availing of the birth reflection service in the coombe afterwards regardless of how it went. Anne was fabulous

Your consultant would of been called when you arrived in the hospital! That is what happened in my case. They checked me and left them came back. I pay less half of €5k and it is for all your appointments during the pregnancy and your check up after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Just to clarity for public on the Coombe you are still under one team. By the time I had my first (lots of extra appts due to HBP and other stuff) I knew every single one of Aoife O Neills team at the time including the lady on call who delivered my baby. Additionally I did have a small scan every time I saw one of her team. I imagine if you had less appts you wouldn’t know them as well though. Scans in the evening and appts running on time did not happen in public tho

Sorry I don't think I put it right in the initial post. I get you're still under 1 team in the public but my point was that I never saw anyone except the consultant I was under or one particular member of her team. I was subsectioned under that doctor. I never met the rest of the team.....well except for the one who was on the night I gave birth as the doctor I had seen was off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The benefit is seeing the consultant each visit.
    You will give birth in the same birthing area as public patients with the same midwives. There is no guarantee the consultant being be on holiday.

You will only get private/ semi private bed if available.

My wife had 2 in the rotunda public. She even got a semi private bed on the first:)
    My observation on that was dont be there at weekends when they are on skeleton staff.

My wife obliged on number 2 and gave birth on a week day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

3 babies, 2 emergency sections and 1 planned section. 3 miscarriages between baby 1 and 2 unfortunately also. All public and excellent care every time. Now in saying that, I had no complications during any of my pregnancies and no complicated history so I think that was part of the reason I was happy in the public system. Not in Dublin either so a 4 bed ward was the biggest I was ever in and sometimes I was on my own after mums and babies went home.
    Baby number 1 arrived suddenly after 34 weeks hence the section (breech) and he was expertly looked after in the special care unit for just over 2 weeks too.
    So I would make the decision based on your partners health history and your location.
    Oh, I got my tubes tied during my 3rd section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Went private on my first baby and I have no doubt that I avoided a c section because my consultant was there. He was rang as soon as I presented myself in hospital and must’ve been with me for 2-3 hours at the end of my labour. I am
    Pregnant again and I am going private.

I have a medic in the family and they strongly advised going private. They actually told me that If I couldn’t afford to go privately they would pay for me. It’s that important. My fees were €3000, but i got €1000 back between VHI and tax.

That’s not a slant of the public system or anyone here that is recommending public, it’s just what I’ve been told. By all
    Accounts, the public system is fine when you have a straight forward pregnancy and labour. It’s if things go wrong, that your private care really shows it’s need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Can't recall if you've said where you will be attending OP, but if your partner is low risk and in an eligible area, I'd recommend midwifery-led care. Much quicker appointments and a high possibility of a private room where you can stay over, as well as multiple birth partners if preferred. All available for free through public.
    I received MLU care for both my girls and a "consultant" led birth on the first due to induction and everything was faultless. I'll be going public again for my third (unfortunately not MLU this time due to weight gain) and wouldn't even consider paying for private care. My sister is a midwife and told me quite an amusing anecdotal story of two ladies who ended up side-by-side on the public ward after having both their babies delivered by the same consultant due to heavy complications with the public mammy and nobody else available to deal with it. Obviously she clarified this isn't the norm, but it's always a possibility and if there are no complications, there's no need to pay extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ruled out midwife led care. If you've any issues there's a fair chance you'll be shunted out to the public system. I've had different complications on every pregnancy so I wanted and needed continuity of care and for me only the private system provided that. I also needed C sections each time and having a private room each time and my own consultant delivering all care was far more important than I ever anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Millem wrote: »
    The big difference is continuity of care. You will see the same consultant for all your appointments. You don’t rotate with gp, you will get a scan at each appointment and you will see your consultant at 8 weeks and get early scan.

You will have short waiting times.

In Galway you will still rotate with GP even when going private.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. Your advice has really helped us in making up or mind.

We have decided to go private for a number of reasons but lo and behold there are now another two options, semi private or full!

Again, does anyone of any advice on which one to go for, the main differences etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I’m not sure if semi private is available in all hospitals. I never heard it mentioned as an option for me when my gp discussed public v private. I’m based in limerick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It seems to be mainly the Dublin hospitals you can go semi?

Semi-private in the Rotunda on all 3. I'll be honest....I wanted a smaller ward and the possibility of same doctor each appointment but I did not want to pay 4k for a consultant because I didn't want a consultant present at the birth if I could avoid it, and I didn't see the need to pay 4k for a doctor that might be away on holidays when I gave birth, or that might be a bit more interfering than I wanted, just to earn his fee.

But that's just me.I was under no illusions I was basically paying for the ward afterwards and the comfy surrounds of the private clinic for appointments.Births all happen in the same rooms as public or private, and the staff attending the birth would be whoever is on call...midwives, doctors etc....same as public patients.(Who were all super) I was ok with that, I can see why others would view it as a waste of money.

As it turned out, I had 3 natural births with 1 midwife in attendance at each, no interventions and no doctors needed.So the 4k each for private care would really have been a huge waste of money for me .But that is hindsight.

• Advertisement

Just to clear up the cost....ring around and ask for prices. For instance there were no consultants in the rotunda charging €4K in 2019....€3800 was the most expensive.

In my own case my consultant is charging me €3k. This includes a repeat discount.
    I have claimed back €850 from my health insurance and can claim a further €430 back in my tax next year, the net cost will be €1720. No where near €5k or €4k.

I opted to get the panorama test which cost €450 and claimed back €225 from my health insurance and can claim back a further €45 back in tax next year. The net cost will be €180.
    This pregnancy will cost me €1900 in total.

There are cheaper consultants though.
    According to Holles street’s website private care starts at €2.5k (December 2019). You need to pay for your anomaly scan.

The new master of the Coombs offers a reduced private fee if you go to your gp for 5 visits. He charges €2200 (before deductions) for this. You need to pay for your anomaly scan. This price was quoted in December 2019.

Advertisement