Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Private Care?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lazygal wrote: »
    Sorry might be off topic but this is such a damaging attitude, right up there with the idea that we can't complain once a live delivery happens. There's no reason whatsover to accept that you lose dignity because you're giving birth. We don't tell any other patients or those using health services to park their dignity at the door, and indeed I can only imagine the outcry if we did. I absolutely did care about my privacy, and that's why I went for private care because I know me and I need a room to myself and my own bathroom. I loathed being on a shared ward and couldn't get to the private room fast enough.

Dignity in labour and birth is something we have a right to, and any medical professional or person who says otherwise needs their attitude adjusted.

It’s an expression I used a bit tongue in cheek, sorry if I offended you. Obviously everyone should be, and is, in my experience, treated with respect on the labour ward. But I refer more to getting used to internal examinations, which, no matter the level of experience or professionalism of the person that does them, are a bit outside of my normal comfort zone. Pushing out a good big baby. On the hottest day of the year with a nice cool maternity pad held to my forehead by the consultant. Perfectly natural and normal, just not a moment when I was at my most polished. It was absolutely nothing to do with anyone’s treatment of me, or indeed nothing to do with the size of the cheque I wrote.
    And maybe it’s different where you gave birth, but the delivery room and the gynae theatre in the hospital where I had my babies were the exact same ones that everyone gives birth in, regardless of whether they were public or private. It’s the actual labour I was referring to in my other post, not the post natal ward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Sorry might be off topic but this is such a damaging attitude, right up there with the idea that we can't complain once a live delivery happens. There's no reason whatsover to accept that you lose dignity because you're giving birth. We don't tell any other patients or those using health services to park their dignity at the door, and indeed I can only imagine the outcry if we did. I absolutely did care about my privacy, and that's why I went for private care because I know me and I need a room to myself and my own bathroom. I loathed being on a shared ward and couldn't get to the private room fast enough.

Dignity in labour and birth is something we have a right to, and any medical professional or person who says otherwise needs their attitude adjusted.

Ah I don't think that's what was meant there at all! And of course no one is saying that you can't complain as long as the baby is ok!

I know that before hand I was a little prudish about letting anyone see me naked but by the end of my delivery there were 14 people in the room and I couldn't have cared less. I didn't even know how many were there except my partner told me after. I still had my dignity and was cared for amazingly but at that point I didn't care who was there. We are definitely entitled to dignity but I think the comment was more that you can definitely gain a new perspective on how many people are looking at your body etc.

My labour room had it's own bathroom and they're the same labour rooms whether public, private or semi-private.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Antares35 wrote: »

I am so apprehensive about labour and delivery that I really don't think privacy will be top of my agenda at that time - however I will probably eat those words! :(

Seriously don't be apprehensive at all!

Now I'm totally contrary, I get bothered my the slightest things.

Here's how holles Street worked for me.

On my first we checked in at reception... Your first generally is a slow labour. So any checked in and brought up to the "waiting ward" this is a ward of maybe 6_8 beds where you're parked until labour really starts.

Now they do a quick exam with the curtains around you. I was moved on immediately. Now the only delivery room available was the double room and I was asked if I minded. The other girl was finishing up... I said if she's OK with it so am I, by the time we got there she was gone, so I had double room to myself... Which worked out well as the baby needed the paediatric Dr's, who were all waiting in the room with us, I also had 6 midwives .... Trust me at that stage of labour you've gone past caring who sees what and its another day in the office for them, so they have no interest in looking either :)

It was a fast labour and I was warned any other babies don't delay in getting in to the hospital.

Second labour, I was straight up to delivery room, single room with en suite bathroom. I'd a midwife and student nurse in the room and it was grand.

You will have one main midwife leading the delivery, she will stay with you for the duration even when you are walking the halls hoping for gravity to work :D

The toilets on the public ward are a mixture of new and old, they are cleaned very regularly. The old toilets are a bit grim, but the new ones are grand. Of course I'd have preferred my own private toilet but I wasn't paying for the pleasure.

As I said previously I took extra time off work with the money saved.

So don't be nervous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Sorry might be off topic but this is such a damaging attitude, right up there with the idea that we can't complain once a live delivery happens. There's no reason whatsover to accept that you lose dignity because you're giving birth. We don't tell any other patients or those using health services to park their dignity at the door, and indeed I can only imagine the outcry if we did. I absolutely did care about my privacy, and that's why I went for private care because I know me and I need a roomo to myself and my own bathroom. I loathed being on a shared ward and couldn't get to the private room fast enough.

Good point. Its different for us all. I suppose for me I just don't equate dignity with my own room. To me that will be more about how I am treated, not brushed aside, kept in the loop about what is going on and having autonomy to be able to decide what I want and pain relief etc. I dont really mind if there are others around but I get that it is different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Millem wrote: »
    I know my friend had a heart condition and she used to see them in mater while she was pregnant.

Anyway I was sent to the main hospital for my panorama test and honestly I told him never again.
    It was the stuff nightmares were made of. Garda, prisons guards etc. Told reception I was leaving after 30 mins and rebooking in the beacon. Anyway they put in a separate room straight away.

The following week I told my consultant never again I really don’t care if I have to pay more it is not happening! Apparently it was a particularly bad day! At one stage I thought maybe I should just wait beside the Garda!!!!!

Please update us as to whether you get a private room after delivery. I'd love to hear your feedback on a two night stay on a public ward!!

All joking aside, it's a distinct possibility for you so I'd be prepared all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sprites wrote: »
    Please update us as to whether you get a private room after delivery. I'd love to hear your feedback on a two night stay on a public ward!!

All joking aside, it's a distinct possibility for you so I'd be prepared all the same.
    I have stayed in a public ward on holles st and there were 10 beds squashed in. I left after less than 24 hours.
    I have experienced public and domino in holles street previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

If it is financially possible, I would 100% recommend private. I have had three kids in Holles Street and went private on all. For me the key benefits are the continuity of care with the same consultant the whole way through who is personally invested in you and has the optimum training and experience not to miss anything. It’s also great to avoid the waiting times, be seen in the private consultants clinic so you avoid the mad outpatient queues, and it’s a real bonus to have your own room afterwards ( if lucky enough to get one) and have the great support of midwives who are not as overworked as the public wards and can dedicate time to each new mum.
    There is huge comfort in knowing each scan is being assessed by a doctor at consultant level and that they will attend your birth to add their expertise if needed. Also if you need stitches, c section, episiotomy, these procedures are being completed by someone who has done it thousands of times!
    Having said that, the midwives run the show in the delivery room and are utterly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Just curious, am I the only person who didn’t mind the wait times when public? I used to take a book and was happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

bee06 wrote: »
    Just curious, am I the only person who didn’t mind the wait times when public? I used to take a book and was happy out!

Same! My only complaint was the seats weren't very comfortable 🀷ðŸ»*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Would have been in work otherwise, so it was grand :D

Just the lack of order was abit mad, you had no idea if your name would be called next.

My worst was 4 hrs, I wear hearing aids so I positioned myself as always under the intercom.... I've a long and unusual name so I'd usually hear them tripping over it. But this instance the midwife was whispering it at the top of the room. Finally they announced it over the intercom, I went to go in, only to be told that they were only checking to see if I was still there as they'd called me twice and to sit back down. How I didn't burst into tears is beyond me, it was holloween, I'd taken the day off work so I could get home early to sort the lil one out, I ended up later than a work day! Karma I suppose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Tbh, I was a bit aggrieved at having zero wait time in the private clinic sometimes. But I work in the hospital I was attending, and I would hate sitting around the outpatients waiting room and knowing an awful lot of people coming and going. I like quiet waiting, not making small talk waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Ha! I always saw this as a plus too :D

By my 2018 baby Holles Street had seriously updated their clinic procedure which meant things moved so swiftly I was always in and out within the hour max, having a morning clinic helps immensely time wise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Same! I was in most weeks between the GD clinic and maternal medicine and loved the little breaks from work. It made the day go quicker when I got back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Never minded it and aside from the first I dont think any were that bad! I also have full confidence that there will not be a sub standard level of medical care. So far they have been more than thorough and I've zero complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I didn’t mind so much early on and on my first. On my second I was on crutches for SPD by third trimester. Waiting rooms in the Coombe were not comfortable at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Antares35 wrote:
    We couldn't really afford private, and the only benefits I could see from semi-private was reduced waiting times. Since our work policy provides for reasonable paid time off for ante-natal visits, it didn't make sense to me to fork out a couple of thousand to save my employer some time on the clock. Perhaps there are other benefits too that I was not aware of. IMO it is one of the few areas where we actually reap some kind of generous benefit in exchange for all that tax!

Antares35 wrote:
    I am so apprehensive about labour and delivery that I really don't think privacy will be top of my agenda at that time - however I will probably eat those words!

In the Coombe every delivery suite is a single room with en suite bathroom, no matter if you're public or private. After delivery (emergency section) I was brought to a little recovery room (again single occupancy) where my husband and baby were waiting and gave her a feed before being brought up to the ward with 5 others.

I spent 8 nights across 3 different wards between admission, induction and post delivery. Lots of people wrecked my head for sure but lots of the other ladies were lovely, good company at meal times. When I was struggling with feeding or going through the hormonal post delivery days it was great to have others to empathise with me.
    ElectraX wrote:
    For me the key benefits are the continuity of care with the same consultant the whole way through who is personally invested in you and has the optimum training and experience not to miss anything.

Also if you need stitches, c section, episiotomy, these procedures are being completed by someone who has done it thousands of times! Having said that, the midwives run the show in the delivery room and are utterly brilliant.

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with anyone, but I think these comments suggest that a public patient may be managed by staff who don't have optimum training and experience, and who wouldn't have done these procedures thousands of times, which I think can't be true.

I can't afford anything other than private care and I couldn't fault the care I received last time around. As another poster said, it's one time in life you feel your taxes actually get you something!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I'm not interested in getting into an argument with anyone, but I think these comments suggest that a public patient may be managed by staff who don't have optimum training and experience, and who wouldn't have done these procedures thousands of times, which I think can't be true.

I can't afford anything other than private care and I couldn't fault the care I received last time around. As another poster said, it's one time in life you feel your taxes actually get you something!

100% agree. I find it insulting actually for anyone to suggest that the doctors looking after us in the public system are anything less than competent.

As a side note, a colleague of mine's wife was being cared for privately in a hospital in the South East and their consultant was suspended during her pregnancy for malpractice, so it's not something you are protected from just because you are in the private system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sprites wrote: »
    100% agree. I find it insulting actually for anyone to suggest that the doctors looking after us in the public system are anything less than competent.

As a side note, a colleague of mine's wife was being cared for privately in a hospital in the South East and their consultant was suspended during her pregnancy for malpractice, so it's not something you are protected from just because you are in the private system.

I believe Michael Neary cared for private patients as well. It's shocking that people on here seem to believe that public consultants are somehow sub-standard. It makes a mockery of the professionals who have dedicated years of their lives to gruelling levels of education and placement in order to get to where they are. In a normal, uneventful birth there won't be a consultant - they are intended for when things go wrong or complications arise, and it would be foolish of anyone to assume that the average public consultant is not as prepared for this as a private one (and please remember folks, many private consultants treat public patients too, sometimes both in the same day ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Millem wrote: »
    The big difference is continuity of care. You will see the same consultant for all your appointments. You don’t rotate with gp, you will get a scan at each appointment and you will see your consultant at 8 weeks and get early scan.

You will have short waiting times.

Just to point out that in quite a few places you do rotate with gp. I certainly did. Anyway in my case I went private with first and public with second. There was no difference except different staff at check ups. Considering where I am public consultations were closer to me and took less time than private including drive. I got more check ups done and more information given as public patient, however there were some consultants or doctors I didn't like when I went public. At private birth consultant was arrived after the birth and stitched up the tear. I never had any serious complications (excluding early stage miscarriages before you even see consultant). I got private room both times. I was lucky in that regard.

I think private might be worth in some maternity hospitals but not all. I can't see what the point of semi private is. I think you need the opinion of people who went to the maternity hospital you intend to go. Statistics are fairly safe for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HildaG85

Hi guys,

Recently found out i'm pregnant, in my mid 30s and based down in midlands. Have excellent health insurance but obviously the consultant fees will be extra.

Spoke with doctor in the last 2 weeks and she said in this part of country there is only 2 options, Public or private. There is no semi private option as birth will be at a public hospital in east galway (as is standard for this part of country).

She has informed me that there is very little difference in the quality of mid wife led care and has told me that 3k can be spent better elsewhere. Can anyone give me some advice as to whether we should proceed publicly?

She is of the opinion that in this part of country the private option does not really provide any great extras to justify the cost. Quieter hospital (maternity ward), smaller town where public clinic for scans is (we would also get our own scans done regularly to make up for shortfall in amount we would get publicly).

Also she told us that there is no guarantee the consultant will be present and we may have stand in on occasions. Can anyone tell me about their experience in the midlands?

Thanks a million in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

HildaG85 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Recently found out i'm pregnant, in my mid 30s and based down in midlands. Have excellent health insurance but obviously the consultant fees will be extra.

Spoke with doctor in the last 2 weeks and she said in this part of country there is only 2 options, Public or private. There is no semi private option as birth will be at a public hospital in east galway (as is standard for this part of country).

She has informed me that there is very little difference in the quality of mid wife led care and has told me that 3k can be spent better elsewhere. Can anyone give me some advice as to whether we should proceed publicly?

She is of the opinion that in this part of country the private option does not really provide any great extras to justify the cost. Quieter hospital (maternity ward), smaller town where public clinic for scans is (we would also get our own scans done regularly to make up for shortfall in amount we would get publicly).

Also she told us that there is no guarantee the consultant will be present and we may have stand in on occasions. Can anyone tell me about their experience in the midlands?

Although not in the Midlands, I am from Monaghan and the procedure you were told of is exactly how I experienced it via Cavan General. There seems to be a huge difference between Dublin and everywhere else!

Hi guys,

I am in Midlands and went to Mullingar Maternity hospital. Scans were in my local hospital on one day each week so you had to be available that day. There was a bit of wait but nothing hectic. My GP told me to go public first time but my mother in law panicked and talked me in going private. In my case we spent 3000 Euro or whatever it was then unnecessarily and wen't public next time. Because of miscarriages I was deemed high risk pregnancy the second time and had fist scan at 9 weeks. In my case we had scans every at every hospital visit but I think that differs from place to place.

Personally where I am I think good private health insurance plan is way more important than going private for birth. Again it might not be the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I presume as Slaintecare is rolled out, all private maternity care in public hosps will cease?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ah I don't think that's what was meant there at all! And of course no one is saying that you can't complain as long as the baby is ok!

I know that before hand I was a little prudish about letting anyone see me naked but by the end of my delivery there were 14 people in the room and I couldn't have cared less. I didn't even know how many were there except my partner told me after. I still had my dignity and was cared for amazingly but at that point I didn't care who was there. We are definitely entitled to dignity but I think the comment was more that you can definitely gain a new perspective on how many people are looking at your body etc.

My labour room had it's own bathroom and they're the same labour rooms whether public, private or semi-private.

Just out of interest why were there 14 people? That seems excessive. Apart from me and my husband I had two midwives both times, I was a public patient.

Personally I hate hospitals. I did domino so I was hardly ever there and went home within a couple of hours, I have health insurance but felt it was a waste to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HildaG85

meeeeh wrote: »

Personally where I am I think good private health insurance plan is way more important than going private for birth. Again it might not be the same everywhere.

Can I ask what you mean by this sentence? Are you not using this plan to go private?

Can I ask what you mean by this sentence? Are you not using this plan to go private?

What I mean is I would sooner update private insurance plan to a higher level than go private when pregnant. I just wanted to say that I see huge benefit of good private health insurance plan, I see a lot less benefit paying extra to go private when pregnant. It might not be the same for everyone and in all parts of the country. Judging by the comments here maternity care differs hugely around the country and especially the public rooom size in Dublin would probably make me think twice about what to do. I think your gp who knows what situation is locally should be good source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just out of interest why were there 14 people? That seems excessive. Apart from me and my husband I had two midwives both times, I was a public patient.

For the most part of my labour, it was just a midwife there however towards the end, the baby was starting to be in distress, I was exhausted due to how my labour had gone (not overly long but very intense) and I was extremely close to a c-section being performed there & then. Essentially the doctor was there, midwives, consultant came in too, paediatrician along with a host of other necessary people if the c-section was going ahead. The doctor told me afterwards that they were giving me one last chance to push to get baby out and that's when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I am in limerick and again no semi private option. I recently had my second baby. On my first I was low risk and really didn't have the money at the time to consider private. I had no complications during the pregnancy and midwife led care was perfect. I did end up getting a c section as baby was in distress and again no issues with how it was handled. However on my second baby I had some health issues and decided to go private so I had a consultant who was looking after my specific concerns. I'm very glad I did go private. I ended up being hospitalised a few times while pregnant. It was important to have the consistency of one.doctor overseeing this or I think things would have fallen through the cracks. I saw my consultant A LOT throughout my pregnancy so tbh it was money well spent. But the public private thing is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question as it everything runs to plan there is no issue with public but going private for me was like an insurance policy that I did end up requiring. The consultants fees were 3k but I was able to claim back 400 towards this on my vhi and then 520 taxback so in reality closer to 2k. If I were to get pregnant again I would definitely find the money to go private again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I believe Michael Neary cared for private patients as well. It's shocking that people on here seem to believe that public consultants are somehow sub-standard. It makes a mockery of the professionals who have dedicated years of their lives to gruelling levels of education and placement in order to get to where they are. In a normal, uneventful birth there won't be a consultant - they are intended for when things go wrong or complications arise, and it would be foolish of anyone to assume that the average public consultant is not as prepared for this as a private one (and please remember folks, many private consultants treat public patients too, sometimes both in the same day ;) )

There's a private consultant I didn't want near me in Holles Street. Had a note on my file to that effect. No one is saying the public care isn't fine. But I had far better continuity of care gong private and that was really important to me. I found myself having to retell things over and over to the doctors in the public wards and clinic as they're simply too busy to know me from Adam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Geuze wrote: »
    I presume as Slaintecare is rolled out, all private maternity care in public hosps will cease?

The proposed new National Maternity Hospital has private rooms planned.

Advertisement