Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I claim for theft twice?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a Suzuki Gn125 last year, brand new. It was stolen within two months. I was insured by Liberty against theft, and they were happy to pay out, and very helpful too, so I bought another, older gn125, and got much better chains and locks.

This was stolen too last night (and I realise now that my area must be regularly cased for such opportunities- an angle grinder was used, during the daytime, near people's homes).

I'm wondering now if it would be even worth claiming again. I don't know how these things work as I'm fairly new to motorbikes, and driving in general, but I can't see a company wanting much more to do with me after claiming twice within the same premium year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'd say your options are to claim and they will likely exclude theft cover next year if it's not kept more secure (in a concrete garage/shed) or don't claim and keep theft cover but foot the bill for another bike yourself.

I've had a couple stolen over the years that never impacted premium but they were a few years apart and small enough pay outs.

You mention stolen at night but angle grinder was used in the day, how did they cut your locks?

If they are hot wiring it and driving it away maybe get a hidden kill switch on the next bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Thanks very much. Might go for the claim and beef up security option. It's a very lightweight model so I'd say the two bikes were just loaded into vans rather than driven away. Maybe I'll go for an alarm and GPS tracker if I get a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

I’ve got trackers fitted to my bikes, the best thing I ever did, €20 a month for the 2 of them, if the bike as much as moves outside the boundary of my backyard it triggers an instant notification. Kinesis are the company. Free installation as well

I’ve got trackers fitted to my bikes, the best thing I ever did, €20 a month for the 2 of them, if the bike as much as moves outside the boundary of my backyard it triggers an instant notification. Kinesis are the company. Free installation as well

Thank you, I'll follow your advice. Sorry if this is a stupid question but do you signpost the fact that it's GPS-protected to would-be thieves?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Thank you, I'll follow your advice. Sorry if this is a stupid question but do you signpost the fact that it's GPS-protected to would-be thieves?

Damned if you do ,damned if you don't...
    If you signpost it ,they're gonna look for it,or try to disable it ,
    If you don't, they Rob your bike , and maybe you only get bits back ,
    Stick a CCTV camera sign somewhere by your drive ,and possibly a few dummy box's too ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Damned if you do ,damned if you don't...
    If you signpost it ,they're gonna look for it,or try to disable it ,
    If you don't, they Rob your bike , and maybe you only get bits back ,
    Stick a CCTV camera sign somewhere by your drive ,and possibly a few dummy box's too ...

Will do, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

No no,don’t advertise it at all. They are well hidden in the bike, you’d actually cause damage Pulling panels off looking for them if you didn’t know where the device is. What I do have however is the attached item, it continuously flashes and these uneducated thugs think it’s an alarm.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191567285249

No no,don’t advertise it at all. They are well hidden in the bike, you’d actually cause damage Pulling panels off looking for them if you didn’t know where the device is. What I do have however is the attached item, it continuously flashes and these uneducated thugs think it’s an alarm.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191567285249

That's great, thanks - fairly cheap at the price too. I think a combination of real security measures and dummy ones is the way forward, judging by everyone's responses. Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It doesn't matter how good your locks are, it's what its locked TO.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement