Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish troops killed by Russian airstrikes ( Syria)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

nthclare wrote: »
    Since the downing of that Jet in Syria Airspace its check mate for the Russians.

Remember it was Putin who helped keep Erdoğan in power after they supposedly warned he was going to be removed in a coup russian intelligence services uncovered, but months before Putin publicly claimed he had evidence that Erdoğan was supporting and supplying Isis ,but then they became best of friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

An insurgency is not about opening up a new front, its unconventional, therefore unpredictable.

Have another look at todays UALive map there and look at Dar'a.....it is uncommon to see such activity in the south. The situation is degrading.

When pro-Assad forces redeploy from southern Syria, which they have, it will creat a vaccum which the insurgency will exploit...including today.

You are also not taking into account the thousands of peopld from the south who have been forcibly conscripted into the SAAF. They are sure to defect and go back south. Weakening Assads forces.

I do have a different opinion but I am probably more qualified to give it.

Syrian regime forces likely have poor morale because Turkey attacking them and having success. Russia and Iran so far doing nothing to get in their way.  It’s unpredictable is correct. The battlefield situation is fluid, and events on the ground will decide future events across Syria.

Regards Darra’a we find out. I still think Assad forces have secured the southern sectors for now. You may be right the insurgency will gain strength.

So has Turkey taken over the ISIS roll of being the saviour of the Sunni in Syria.

This is a sh1t storm in the making.

I suppose there's always going to be an Afghanistan scenario in the world.

Russia and Turkey have been edging towards a war over the last few years.
    Since the downing of that Jet in Syria Airspace its check mate for the Russians.

Yes. There heavy fighting everywhere, some clips from today. Right now the Turkish head choppers are making gains and taking villages and small towns.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/1234127439770591234

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Yes. There heavy fighting everywhere, some clips from today. Right now the Turkish head choppers are making gains and taking villages and small towns.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/1234127439770591234

So the head choppers are back again and reeking havoc and fear in towns villages and rural areas.

Ffs I thought Turkey would know better than to be aligning with the Salafists and Jihadi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

So the head choppers are back again and reeking havoc and fear in towns villages and rural areas.

Ffs I thought Turkey would know better than to be aligning with the Salafists and Jihadi

" My enemies friend, is my friend "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The numbers certainly appear nearer to 10's of thousands (as suggested by {both} Greece & Turkey), up to 4million refugees in Turkey (with funds sent from the EU for management of).
    Not hundreds as someone suggested.

Even the mainstream media also mentioned that many are not simply Syrian refugess, but a wide mix e.g. Afganistan (now under peace deal) and many other Middle East states.

From the footage that I saw on France24, those refugees currently at the Greek border were mainly African.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

The EU seems to want this migration, the only reason they seem to be making any effort against it is because people are getting sick of it

Quite possibly; people should look up what Peter Sutherland had to say about migration into Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Quite possibly; people should look up what Peter Sutherland had to say about migration into Europe.

Yeah.. "the EU should do its best to undermine the homogeneity of its Member States"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/peter-sutherland-s-legacy-1.3351136%3fmode=amp

They certainly seem to be aiming for it..

Aligning with Jihadi's and Salafists is only a bit of dressing on the cake....the real plan is to give Assad a bloody nose, and so far, thats exactly what is happening because Vladimer has decided to sit this one out. This plays nicely into his plan's. When he did not retaliate when Turkey shot down his fighter, that was a marker on what his relationship with Turkey would be like in future and he is not going to jeopardize that. He has absolutely nothing to gain by attacking Turkey, ( except maybe losing plane's and men ). He now has everything that he wants to have in Syria, and just in case Assad is getting any idea's about how dependent on the Russians he actually is, this battle with Turkey will remind him very quickly which side hie bread is buttered on. Turkey will win this round, and hold what it has territory-wise. Th safe buffer is not going anywhere, unless Vladimir has a change of heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Clips floating around showing Greeks burning a migrant reception centre on Lesbos and attacking NGOs who have flooded to the area.
    Also a clip of Greeks stopping a dingy carrying migrants from landing.
    "Go home, go back" they chanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Clips floating around showing Greeks burning a migrant reception centre on Lesbos and attacking NGOs who have flooded to the area.
    Also a clip of Greeks stopping a dingy carrying migrants from landing.
    "Go home, go back" they chanted.
    Can you blame them.
    The majority of these migrants are economic.
    Imagine the people of Lesbos being inundated with thousands of migrants and then their government starts building permanent structures for migrant intake. The way of life that they have known for centuries is drastically changing without their input.

Something similar is happening in Ireland but not on that same scale obviously. The Irish government are building/renovating large buildings for the supposed asylum seekers arriving into the country. These are permanent structures intending to last a very long time, which equates to a government policy to continue accepting large numbers of asylum seekers.
    If only we can respond like the Greeks on Lesbos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Turkey is a different place after years of Erdogan. He's chipping away at secular Turkey from the get-go.

Funny how active he is now against the Kurds and Syrian govt., considering he maintained a peaceful and porous border with Islamic State in the north of Syria for years (when they were in control there).

Kivaro wrote: »
    Can you blame them.
    The majority of these migrants are economic.
    Imagine the people of Lesbos being inundated with thousands of migrants and then their government starts building permanent structures for migrant intake. The way of life that they have known for centuries is drastically changing without their input.

Something similar is happening in Ireland but not on that same scale obviously. The Irish government are building/renovating large buildings for the supposed asylum seekers arriving into the country. These are permanent structures intending to last a very long time, which equates to a government policy to continue accepting large numbers of asylum seekers.
    If only we can respond like the Greeks on Lesbos.

I see where you are coming from and how it can effect cultures, people's peaceful existence etc

Obviously its not politically correct to express our concern for our own culture without upsetting the bleeding hearts and so called Liberals etc who are aligned with what they're supposed to be protesting against.

No respect for the people who's lives will be effected by the influx of estranged people who don't respect the cultures that welcome them.

I feel for the old people living in remote areas and these gangs of young men passing through the countryside and instilling fear in the local populace.

Luckily were at the edge of the Atlantic and not much fear of an influx of hoards of young men trampling through the countryside and sh1t ting and pissing everywhere.

Hopefully the Island of Lesbos will be rid of any thing that will threaten their culture and history.

donaghs wrote: »
    Turkey is a different place after years of Erdogan. He's chipping away at secular Turkey from the get-go.

Funny how active he is now against the Kurds and Syrian govt., considering he maintained a peaceful and porous border with Islamic State in the north of Syria for years (when they were in control there).

Kemal Attaturk is turning in his grave at what Erdogan is doing to his secular creation.
    The link with isis was purely business,,,,Erdogan ( or rather his son, who is in charge of the oil industry there ) was buying oil ( Syrian and Iraqi) from isis ( as were the Assad's, and anyone else who could pay for it. That was one of the main sources of funding for isis)
    Then there was a Russian passenger plane that blew up after leaving Sharm -El-Sheikf, killing everyone on board. The bomb was traced back to isis, who carried out the bombing in retaliation for the Russians bombing of isis in Syria.
    So then the Russians started bombing the oil convoys leaving the isis controlled area's. This of course hit Turkey hard, so when a Russian fighter plane briefly passed through Turkish airspace, they shot it down.
    The change in attitude Erdogan has now is all about his land grab....it suits his purpose to have the Syrian army occupied with Idlib, especially as the Russian's are not getting involved. He does not have any particular love for isis or the FSA, or any other grouping in Idlib, as they will quickly find out if they cross into Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

The carry on of these "refugees" at the greek border acting like violent animals why would any country want them?

Unconfirmed reports one of them has been shot dead

https://twitter.com/SharifMugh/status/1234392870062317568?s=20

Removalist wrote: »
    The carry on of these "refugees" at the greek border acting like violent animals why would any country want them?

Unconfirmed reports one of them has been shot dead

https://twitter.com/SharifMugh/status/1234392870062317568?s=20

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kooper

Cant block Bosorus, if Russian already sieze Bosporus :D

highresrollsafe.jpg
    :D:D:D seized with what, with their rusty smoky junk called AC Kuznetsov :D:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Yeah.. "the EU should do its best to undermine the homogeneity of its Member States"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/peter-sutherland-s-legacy-1.3351136%3fmode=amp

They certainly seem to be aiming for it..

This was the man that Simon Coveney was seen with at Bilderberg.

New video showing Greek coastguard and police stopping boats from landing on Greek shores. Small dingys loaded with migrants. An endless stream trying to reach European shores. When will it end? Will it ever end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Blueshoe wrote: »
    New video showing Greek coastguard and police stopping boats from landing on Greek shores. Small dingys loaded with migrants. An endless stream trying to reach European shores. When will it end? Will it ever end?

It will end when we start refusing them welfare, houses and jobs.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It will end when we start refusing them welfare, houses and jobs.

I would say the majority of people want to "help" or allow in whoever turns up on Europe's shores. Especially those in power in the EU parliament. Here in Ireland the general consensus seems to be welcome one and all

Gains yesterday by the Turkish supported rebels sounded bad, but the Syrian axis regime forces counter attacked and have taken back Saraqib a strategic town which opens the highways to take Idlib.  Turkey air force doing real damage, but not enough to stop the Syrian axis forces advance in some areas. Russia has rejoined the fight in the last six hours and now wiping out jihadists/rebel positions. I suspect Turkey may have moved its own army back to a safer position to avoid casualties? Turkey sending in their trained jihadists to fight.  Erdogan and Putin will meet in Moscow on Thursday and will decide what's going to happen next. Turkey will look for a ceasefire to stop Assad forces from advancing further. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gains yesterday by the Turkish supported rebels sounded bad, but the Syrian axis regime forces counter attacked and have taken back Saraqib a strategic town which opens the highways to take Idlib.  Turkey air force doing real damage, but not enough to stop the Syrian axis forces advance in some areas. Russia has rejoined the fight in the last six hours and now wiping out jihadists/rebel positions. I suspect Turkey may have moved its own army back to a safer position to avoid casualties? Turkey sending in their trained jihadists to fight.  Erdogan and Putin will meet in Moscow on Thursday and will decide what's going to happen next. Turkey will look for a ceasefire to stop Assad forces from advancing further. 

Yes. It seems Russia has re-supplied Assad, to make up for some of the losses sustained in the Turkish bombardment, and started bombing the jihadists again( Turkish solider are probably not mingling with the jihadists now). I think the Turkish and Russians may have worked out a deal, where by Erdogan's forces were given a window to take revenge for the Turkish soliders killed, by what was probably Russian fighter jets, but Syria were the ones blamed to avoid a situation neither Turkey or Russia wants.

Yes. It seems Russia has re-supplied Assad, to make up for some of the losses sustained in the Turkish bombardment, and started bombing the jihadists again( Turkish solider are probably not mingling with the jihadists now). I think the Turkish and Russians may have worked out a deal, where by Erdogan's forces were given a window to take revenge for the Turkish soliders killed, by what was probably Russian fighter jets, but Syria were the ones blamed to avoid a situation neither Turkey or Russia wants.

40 soldiers’ deaths after a strike meant Turkey would have to counter with some action of their own. Turkey right away blamed the Assad regime, but most experts in Syria acknowledge it was Russia SU-34 planes that hit them. Russia stood down for 24+ to near 36 hours and provided no air cover for advancing Syrian regime forces. There was probably some acceptance Turkey will have to respond? It just goes to show the men on the ground fighting will be sacrificed when Russia hits Turkey military positions by mistake- (of course that’s my opinion, the strike was a mistake) I don’t think Russia looking to fight the Turkish military for Northern Syria, however Russia does not accept Turkey position about keeping Idlib, so there is a potential escalation that may still happen. We have to wait and see what happens on Thursday after talks. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

40 soldiers’ deaths after a strike meant Turkey would have to counter with some action of their own. Turkey right away blamed the Assad regime, but most experts in Syria acknowledge it was Russia SU-34 planes that hit them. Russia stood down for 24+ to near 36 hours and provided no air cover for advancing Syrian regime forces. There was probably some acceptance Turkey will have to respond? It just goes to show the men on the ground fighting will be sacrificed when Russia hits Turkey military positions by mistake- (of course that’s my opinion, the strike was a mistake) I don’t think Russia looking to fight the Turkish military for Northern Syria, however Russia does not accept Turkey position about keeping Idlib, so there is a potential escalation that may still happen. We have to wait and see what happens on Thursday after talks. 

I see the Russian military police have now gone into Saraqeb. The battle for that key city is over i'd say.
    I think Erdogan is keen for a deal, the threat to allow refugees flood into Europe has not really worked. Also the Americans won't give him air cover in North West Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Removalist wrote: »

Are you to young to remember Chancellor Merkel welcomed all migrants to EU in 2015??

zom wrote: »
    Are you to young to remember Chancellor Merkel welcomed all migrants to EU in 2015??

Certainly not, nor am I too young to remember her "multiculturalism has failed" comments.

The one good thing to come from this is seeing ngos terrorised and running for their lives from the greek locals.

I see the Russian military police have now gone into Saraqeb. The battle for that key city is over i'd say.
    I think Erdogan is keen for a deal, the threat to allow refugees flood into Europe has not really worked. Also the Americans won't give him air cover in North West Syria.

I saw that. It stops the Turks from striking the city with artillery and air attacks with the Russian special forces patrolling now.  Turkey however has downed another Syrian warplane in the Sky somewhere in Idlib today, and Syrians regime forces have downed a couple of air attack drones flying around. The Syrian pilots are dead from the reports i have read in the last couple of hours.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see the Russian military police have now gone into Saraqeb.

Nothing new there russian military are the police and they patrol Syrians towns and villages ,
    Oddly enough at the same time it was confirmed russian forces commited warcrimes against Syrians.

Turkey can still push against assad

Advertisement