Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish troops killed by Russian airstrikes ( Syria)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

McGiver wrote: »
    Few? Did you count them all?

I know a few Syrian refugee's, some who made the trek on Merkels invitation, and they would agree 100% that a large % were not Syrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yes, European army needed ASAP. We can't be relying on Trump tomorrow cover our arses, that time has passed. We have three belligerent players in the borders now - Turkey, Russia and the UK. Plus isolationist US and ascending China.

And Frontex need to start actually doing something!

Now all the europhobic talk of how bad the EU is - firstly we ARE the EU, we decide what it can or cannot do, we are part of the decision making process.

Secondly, the nation states don't want to pass on more competencies (and money!) to the EU level, they play their domestic silly games. The EU is in reality very weak and with limited scope of operation.

I wouldn't give the EU control of a boyscout troop let alone an army... I thought it was supposed to be a peace project by the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I wouldn't give the EU control of a boyscout troop let alone an army... I thought it was supposed to be a peace project by the way....
    Yeah but you're fine with outsourcing Irish air space defence to the RAF and letting Yanks refueling in Shannon on their military excursions while pretending to be neutral. Right.

It is a peace project but there's a point where you need defence to maintain peace. If we together as the EU cannot protect our way of life, our quality of life, the richest and most developed area (human development) on earth then it will be destroyed. There are many threats to our way of life, some of them right the EU doorstep. Our way of life cannot be defended by words but only actual defence. The EU has grown up and is beyond that. We cannot conveniently outsource our own defence to the US. That's over. We need to stand on our on feet.

Yeah but you're fine with outsourcing Irish air space defence to the RAF and letting Yanks refueling in Shannon on their military excursions while pretending to be neutral. Right.

It is a peace project but there's a point where you need defence to maintain peace. If we together as the EU cannot protect our way of life, our quality of life, the richest and most developed area (human development) on earth then it will be destroyed. There are many threats to our way of life, some of them right the EU doorstep. Our way of life cannot be defended by words but only actual defence. The EU has grown up and is beyond that. We cannot conveniently outsource our own defence to the US. That's over. We need to stand on our on feet.

:confused:

As for the rest of your post, I think you've been sold a pup dear boy

As for the rest of your post, I think you've been sold a pup dear boy
    Ah sure look it. Any constructive comment?

• Advertisement

Ah sure look it. Any constructive comment?

I don't even think I'd bother on this one, you seem a bit of a rabid, federalist fanatic..

I don't even think I'd bother on this one, you seem a bit of a rabid, federalist fanatic..
    So you've come to a discussion forum not to discuss. Brilliant. Like all your Brexiter colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

jmreire wrote: »
    Have you seen the RTE series " Dangerous Dynasty : The Assad Family " Its very informative and factual. Assad's Father, Hafez, put down a revolution by the Muslim Brotherhood in Hamas. killing 20'000 people, many of them innocent civilians, and destroying much of the city in the process. The present regime have continued to follow the Fathers footsteps. They have and are continuing to target and kill civilians, and destroy infrastructure... and they have been doing this since the very begininng, back in 2011. long before either isis or the Russian's became involved.

I haven't seen it. Thanks for the tip. I'm no Assad fan, merely aware that the majority of those fighting Assad now are Islamists.
    Also, among Middle-Eastern Islamic countries it's interesting how often the ones that protect Christians and other minorities best are not the most democratic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

George Carlin- Question everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

People may find this interesting re the OPCW and Douma.

a raving communist loony who's homophobic ,mysoginist

Loves Putin and Assad

Ah well people will post any crap .

I haven't seen it. Thanks for the tip. I'm no Assad fan, merely aware that the majority of those fighting Assad now are Islamists. Also, among Middle-Eastern Islamic countries it's interesting how often the ones that protect Christians and other minorities best are not the most democratic ones.

Kurds? Assyrians? Democratic Syrian opposition?

Don't forget the Christians, while you are at it...and the Assad Family themselves are from a minority grouping in Syria, the Alawites @12% . In a majority Sunni country, this was one of the reasons why the protests started in the very beginning,,,,the Sunni's felt that they were not being fairly represented in the Government. Assad protected the minorities, mainly because it was in his political interest's to do so.

Gatling wrote: »
    a raving communist loony who's homophobic ,mysoginist

Loves Putin and Assad

Ah well people will post any crap .

Peter Hitchens's is a conservative who was a Trotskyite when he was younger but has been for a while quite anti all that.

Homophobic? Misogynist? Why because he's against abortion and thinks that marriage is between man and woman? Pathetic insults.

Actually he's publicly criticised both Putin and Assad on his blog - definitely doesn't love either.

Ah well, people will post responses without any care for accuracy it seems.

The Kurds are not currently fighting Assad.
    Examples of Islamists who either have fought or are fighting against the Syrian Government include al-Nusra Front, Ahrar ash-Sham, Al-Tawheed, Turkish backed Islamists plus other "moderate" Islamists.

Also Jaish el-Islam.
    Hopefully at the time of me writing this at least some of those groups will have been defunct/destroyed.

Homophobic? Misogynist? Why because he's against abortion and thinks that marriage is between man and woman? Pathetic insults.

He's a ****head ,

Insults no .

fact comrade facts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The Kurds aren't in conflict with the regime and neither are Christians for the most part. There is no real 'democratic opposition' to Assad at this stage; just a coalition of Turkish-backed Islamist headbangers, a lot of whom were former ISIS fighters.

He's a ****head ,

Insults no .

fact comrade facts

No, ad hominems actually. In fact, most if not all of your replies to me in this thread have either been ad hominem against me or against people that I cited. Get back to me when you are going to provide proof against my arguments rather than playing the man more than the ball.

Know point making a new thread for this. Syria close by.

American and British soldiers killed inside Iraq Tonight. Iran militias targeted a US base and right now the casualties number is one US servicemen dead, one US contractor, one British soldier. More casualties may be announced yet?

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1237831760207130625

US warplanes are currently striking back inside Iraq. US warplanes may be bombing in Syria also.

Three locations so far
    “Al-Heri” SE of Albukamal, Syria
    Ali Imam Base (IRGC Affiliated) Syria
    Al-Qaim, Anbar, Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Peter Hitchens's is a conservative who was a Trotskyite when he was younger but has been for a while quite anti all that.

Actually he's publicly criticised both Putin and Assad on his blog - definitely doesn't love either.

Ah well, people will post responses without any care for accuracy it seems.

Describing Hitchens as homophobic is quite accurate and goes back a loooong way. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/feb/02/parents-children

• Advertisement

US is carrying out major airstrikes inside Iraq tonight for the incident last night.

https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/1238230467243118604

I am see lots of reports about targeted assassinations of IRGC commanders and bombing of multiple Iran militia sites all across Iraq.

I got a video of one of US airstrikes tonight.

https://twitter.com/YcIraq/status/1238241126861201409

I am see lots of reports about targeted assassinations of IRGC commanders and bombing of multiple Iran militia sites all across Iraq.

I got a video of one of US airstrikes tonight.

https://twitter.com/YcIraq/status/1238241126861201409

Your move next Ayatollah........

Your move next Ayatollah........

I seeing report now the Iran militias have launched rockets at US base in Kirkuk? The situation is shifting and changing minute by minute. All we know right now for sure US airforce has hit multiple Iran militia sites inside Iraq Tonight. I saw the name of one of IRGC generals allegedly killed tonight, but it’s not approved yet by official media in Iraq as true. 

I am see lots of reports about targeted assassinations of IRGC commanders

Been happening on a regular basis thanks to Israel.

Wonder if covid19 could have an effect on Iranian forces

Iranians officials and some IRGC commanders have died due to the virus.  
    “covid19 could have an effect on Iranian forces”  Yes

Report last night about Iran militas hitting a base in Kirkuk, is false.
    The Strikes by the United States occurred 5 locations ( hit the Iraqi Hezbelloh group)
    The reported death of IRGC general still not confirmed.
    All quiet currently in Iraq. 

When the QUD's and other strong supporters of the Ayatollah, start taking hits from the virus,,,,,they might just start putting 2 and 2 together, and realize that it was the inaction of the Ayatollah, that led to the spread of the disease., and decide to move against them???? Wishful thinking????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,590 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

When the QUD's and other strong supporters of the Ayatollah, start taking hits from the virus,,,,,they might just start putting 2 and 2 together, and realize that it was the inaction of the Ayatollah, that led to the spread of the disease., and decide to move against them???? Wishful thinking????

Hopefully the Americans think the same way about Trump and is idiotic inaction.

Same US/ Iraqi base, hit again around an hour ago. Daylight attack. 30 rockets fired. Early reporting few casualties/injuries (unknown right now if US personnel got injured/hurt. To do in daylight very unusual.

• Advertisement

Same US/ Iraqi base, hit again around an hour ago. Daylight attack. 30 rockets fired. Early reporting few casualties/injuries (unknown right now if US personnel got injured/hurt. To do in daylight very unusual.

Escalation in progress....just because Trump and the Ayatollah came to an "informal agreement", does not mean that everyone agreed with it, especially Iranian units in the field. Killing Soleimani went very deep within the ranks.

Advertisement