Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 motomandublin

I've been shocked to see some groups of cyclists still out on the road, despite all recommendations to social distance.

I stumbled across this YouTube video which is a nice call to action. I sent it out to my club this morning as some were still meeting in groups of 2 and 3 riders.
    https://youtu.be/iVhrrH3tQVs

We all need to band together and do our part

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We all need to band together
    you're sending mixed messages.
    this is already being discussed at a good bit of length in other threads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are more likely to get injured gardening than cycling. I spent around ten hours gardening this weekend and two hours cycling, but I can guess which activity I'm more likely to be chided for.
    We're you wearing a helmet when pushing your lawnmower? Did you have high-viz on when weeding? Think of the strain the paramedics and hospitals are under!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cycled into work this morning, and bar one muppet who thought about gunning it to beat myself and the red suzuki beside me to the junction. They had to stop, as did I as they came out a bit and gave that 1000 yard stare in the hope you will say nothing.

Overall though, quite nice, very few around. Stayed out in the bus lane when overtaking or if I seen anyone near the path, bus drivers were pleasant although there were only two and they were very quiet, most bus stops empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Yes. In my sisters village they have clamped down on cycling. Everyone was out first day and they have clamped down since. Watching everything more closely

I've two friends living in Paris that I follow on Strava, 1 has posted 2 or 3 runs in or around the 7-8km range since the lockdown came into effect. Strictly speaking it's near her residence, but stretching it. The other lad, who would nearly post going to the toilet if that were an option, has been very observant and is confining himself to home

• Advertisement

JMcL wrote: »
    I've two friends living in Paris that I follow on Strava, 1 has posted 2 or 3 runs in or around the 7-8km range since the lockdown came into effect. Strictly speaking it's near her residence, but stretching it. The other lad, who would nearly post going to the toilet if that were an option, has been very observant and is confining himself to home
    Tell them to be careful: French police using Strava to catch and fine cyclists for training outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Effects wrote: »
    Came past Lough Tay yesterday. Gardai set up on either side, about 10 km apart. They were turning cars back as the area was overrun with people getting outdoors. Lots of busy trails with long lines of people on them.
    Roundwood was mental, and saw pictures of Glenmacnass too. This definitely fed into my decision to stay on the turbo. The roads were manic, and gravelling would be hard to maintain physical distance and just no fun.

dahat wrote: »
    Car park of a popular walk in Waterford drew mass crowds today & needed Garda to control it later in the day.
    People just don't get it at all, if going out go early and not at peak times like everyone else.

There was actually a traffic jam coming through Tramore yesterday afternoon - tailback of about 700m - with traffic presumably coming in from the coast. We did take the kids out for a walk late afternoon before they killed each other and did drive (beach was mobbed - so we headed to someplace nice and quiet). Traffic on the coast road was completely mental. I got out on the bike early (before 7) however, going out the greenway to Kilmac and back via Dunhill - about 62km - and barely saw a soul. There were a handful of cyclists, all solo, towards the end. I did see a couple groups of 3 on Saturday afternoon. Plenty of groups of 3 runners around as well I find (though no repeat of the group of 6 eejits out last weekend thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was stuck in a line of very slow moving traffic yesterday in Wexford. I thought it was a queue of muppets waiting to get into a castle down the road. I overtook lots of static cars and then found myself behind a hearse - yes I had filtered through a line of funeral traffic :o.

I've been shocked to see some groups of cyclists still out on the road, despite all recommendations to social distance.

I stumbled across this YouTube video which is a nice call to action. I sent it out to my club this morning as some were still meeting in groups of 2 and 3 riders.
    https://youtu.be/iVhrrH3tQVs

We all need to band together and do our part

I agree. Anyone not cycling solo is contributing to the possibility of cycling (beyond a small radius from your home or to go to work) being banned. I was out for a solo ride on Saturday (the Old Military Road was quiet, presumably because it was cold and damp, which shows that the best thing for social distancing will be some rainy days!). I was thinking through that ride that I would much rather be out on my own and able to relax, instead of constantly wondering whether I am too close to the others, that I am breaking the social distancing rules and therefore am just the same as all the other ignorant people who I am complaining about.

Its not that much of a challenge to cycle solo for a small number of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Curious, what are the risks cycling solo and keeping distance at traffic lights etc?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Cycling is safe if done solo. It's also allowed and no experts are advising not to do it. If you maintain 2m its also within the guidelines for doing it with some one else.
    We all need to keep fit and active and this is not going to be a 2 week temporary break, we're looking at another 1/2/3/4 months ...
    Keep cycling, keep safe and follow the guidelines.

This. I had a crisis of conscience last week regarding ending up in A+E from the personal and systemic perspective. I finally came to the conclusion that having never had more that road rash once or twice in 40 odd years of cycling, the benefits for my health greatly outweigh the risks. I effectively always ride solo, and since I favour getting out as early as possible, am usually back home before things start to get busy, plus the roads I frequent are quiet at the best of times. So what I'm trying to do is get out around 6:30am hail, rain, or shine for an hours "commute" at an easy pace taking no unnecessary risks, while we're still allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I'm gonna be sticking to solo rides while I can, I don't believe its possible to maintain social distancing while cycling in groups(or pairs).
    This number was created to advise people who are outdoors at a walking pace (or even static).

If cycling behind somebody around 30km/h you'll be flying through the other cyclists respiratory droplets within about .25 seconds (if 2 meters behind)
    If cycling side by side a lot of roads just wont be wide enough to allow to you stay 2 meters apart for an entire route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I loved the Bus lane this morning, quite a few wobblers in the bike lanes so I stayed in the bus lane when I was catching anyone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I say about 5 others out this am when I cycled into work. Lovely morning and a lot less traffic than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've been going solo for the last 2 weeks but met one of my best buddies out yesterday about half way through the spin so we stuck together for about 30 km. Never got within 3-4 metres of each other, no problem. But I came back, uploaded the ride saw "rode with..." on Strava and felt pretty guilty afterwards so from here on I think I'll just be passing by on my own. Its not worth it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Saw a cyclist doing laps in grange castle business park yesterday. Ideal place for it. I run alot there

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

First personal experience of Corona-Rage today.

Apparently it's a thing now.

Out for early spin with herself. Accessing the local woods via the coillte barrier.

Local Man had started digging a trench across the access road with a mini digger.

When I asked for permission to pass the works he went ape ****.

He said he didn't want anyone bringing coronavirus up his laneway.

Any sympathy I had with his emotional state quickly evaporated when he produced a length of steel rebar and threatened to break my skull.

Reported by phone to local Gardai who wouldn't accept the report (has to be made in person even during the pandemic).

Aside from the question of who controls a public right of way, he was in a acute state of anger and panic. Kept ranting and shouting.

Thankfully he didn't have a shot gun. Will avoid the area. Have warned local riders.

Be very careful out there folks. People are really on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they deserve to be fined for stupidity if they put up public Strava spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I've been going solo for the last 2 weeks but met one of my best buddies out yesterday about half way through the spin so we stuck together for about 30 km. Never got within 3-4 metres of each other, no problem. But I came back, uploaded the ride saw "rode with..." on Strava and felt pretty guilty afterwards so from here on I think I'll just be passing by on my own. Its not worth it any more.

I've gone with a mate on a Sunday spin last two weekends but going forward i think it's time to go solo 100% of the time. I've been quick to criticize others in different situations so time for me to abide by HSE guidelines in full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Takca wrote: »
    I'm gonna be sticking to solo rides while I can, I don't believe its possible to maintain social distancing while cycling in groups(or pairs).
    This number was created to advise people who are outdoors at a walking pace (or even static).

If cycling behind somebody around 30km/h you'll be flying through the other cyclists respiratory droplets within about .25 seconds (if 2 meters behind)
    If cycling side by side a lot of roads just wont be wide enough to allow to you stay 2 meters apart for an entire route.

....and aside from the obvious health risks, what's the point in cycling in a paceline style. The whole thing about group cycling is the social dynamic and a coffee stop. When those 2 elements are not possible to accommodate, I fail to see the reason for doing anything other than solo cycling.

Was out around Blessington Lakes yesterday - saw lots of cyclists but nearly all were solo. It was like I'd stumbled on some sort of clandestine time trial and I was going the wrong direction !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Would the majority here consider it still irresponsible to still be going on solo spins - risk of crashing etc, or are we still at the stage where it's acceptable?
    Been out on two spins - laps around Phoenix Park, and feel a bit guilty even though the only person I've been in contact with the past two weeks is my gf who I live with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think it's still ok to go solo maby take it a bit handy and really pay attention around you .Lots of accidents with drink at home and has been said DIY efforts at home or in the garden .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Would the majority here consider it still irresponsible to still be going on solo spins - risk of crashing etc, or are we still at the stage where it's acceptable?
    Been out on two spins - laps around Phoenix Park, and feel a bit guilty even though the only person I've been in contact with the past two weeks is my gf who I live with

Car drivers aren't staying at home why should a solo cyclist? Apply due care to your cycle is the best thing you can do.

CormacH94 wrote: »
    My brother-in-law is a respiratory consultant, in the thick of it currently, and is still heading out for (solo!) spins when he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My brother-in-law is a respiratory consultant, in the thick of it currently, and is still heading out for (solo!) spins when he can.

He probably needs it more than most. Just to clear his head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Certainly trottled it back a good bit on any of the big descents on today's spin. I normally really look forward to coming down the Old Long Hill towards Enniskerry but the brake blocks got plenty of wear today. Fewer cars out and those that passed gave me plenty of room. Not a time to be chasing downhill KoMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was out yesterday (solo) id say only 5% of drivers gave me 2 meters of space on overtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm enjoying the solo spins at the moment. Less traffic on the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement