Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Blood donations are always needed regardless of anything such as COVID19.
    Same too with platelet donations.

Blood donations are limited to 1 donation every three months. Platelets can be done every month. This is due to the replenishment or I think almost worst case scenario replenishment - I think most healthy people will replace the donation volume fairly quickly.

I donated platelets for years (almost 200 donations) but had to give it up due to a heart attack and am taking medication now which means I can never donate again. For me, this was probably my biggest regret from my condition. :( I'd thoroughly recommend that people donate if possible - you really are helping people in need.

I got into the habit of donating very young. Used to go with my dad for the free fanta and biscuits, oh and a pencil. So it was second nature to go and donate myself when I was old enough.

God I haven't though about that in years, must say it to him when I see him. Used to ride there and back with me on the crossbar of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Dublins cyclesuperstore are offering free collection and delivery for bikes and repairs. See website for details, should help reduce contact and the need to go to the store.

Hope it's useful to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Blood donations are always needed regardless of anything such as COVID19.
    Same too with platelet donations.

Blood donations are limited to 1 donation every three months. Platelets can be done every month. This is due to the replenishment or I think almost worst case scenario replenishment - I think most healthy people will replace the donation volume fairly quickly.

I donated platelets for years (almost 200 donations) but had to give it up due to a heart attack and am taking medication now which means I can never donate again. For me, this was probably my biggest regret from my condition. :( I'd thoroughly recommend that people donate if possible - you really are helping people in need.
    Long time donor myself, as I understand it, the body replaces the donated "pint" within 24 hrs, part of the reason why they like you to stay around & rest post donation is to eliminate dehydration but also to speed up the recovery process, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant donate because I received blood few years back and would love to.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Cant donate because I received blood few years back and would love to.
    https://www.giveblood.ie/Can-I-Give-Blood/Blood-Eligibility-Quiz/
    You can donate if you received a blood transfusion in the Republic of Ireland before 1st January 1980 (depending on the reason for the transfusion - please check the FAQs or contact us on 1850 731 137 so that we can advise you). If you received a transfusion after this date you cannot donate blood. However, if you received an autologous transfusion (your own blood) you can donate after 12 months.

Yeah got mine back in early 2000's - quite a good of bit too. I reckon I got good blood because I rarely feel the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I came here to see what the consensus was on getting out on the bike during the outbreak. I'm going to continue solo (unless we are told not to) but I think I'll dial it back a bit to stay safe. I have noticed there is a lot more walkers out there even on small country roads so I give them a wide berth when passing.

On the blood donation, I give 4 times a year and never really noticed any ill effects when I get back on the bike a day or 2 later. I'm due back in to donate in a few weeks and fully intend to as long as I don't catch this.

All I can say is thanks to people like you for donating, I probably wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I just passed a tightly packed bunch of 6 cyclists, 2/3 abreast on the Piltown road near Bettystown. No social distance and obstructing the flow of traffic. This is exactly the irresponsible behaviour that will result in the banning of cycling. Cop yourselves on lads.

• Advertisement

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I just passed a tightly packed bunch of 6 cyclists, 2/3 abreast on the Piltown road near Bettystown. No social distance and obstructing the flow of traffic. This is exactly the irresponsible behaviour that will result in the banning of cycling. Cop yourselves on lads.
    Not condoning their lack of social distancing at all but a single cyclist will "obstruct the flow of traffic" to the point that traffic may need to overtake at which point they will need to change lane.
    Two cyclists abreast is allowed.
    Three cyclists is allowed (assuming the third is overtaking).
    If you're behind and you see three riding abreast, this may be due to a number of reasons, the front two have slowed and the third caught up before slowing down or that it just looks that way from behind (but the third is actually behind the first two) - a common misonception.
    Assuming that you're correct then if you saw six cycling closely (which is wrong these days!), and they were 2/3 abreast then you mush have seen a combination of three, two and one (or three, one and two which would support one of my hypotheses)?

My point is that group cycling with no reference to social distancing puts all cyclists in a poorer light, whether or not they are 2 or 3 abreast. Solo cycling, unless in a family group, is the way to go while this crisis lasts. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

While you're having a stab at cyclists, you must realise that cyclists don't obstruct traffic, they are traffic.....

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    While you're having a stab at cyclists, you must realise that cyclists don't obstruct traffic, they are traffic.....

I'm not "having a stab at cyclists". But as a cyclist myself I am keen that we ourselves as cyclists establish a new behavioural norm which allows all cyclists to continue to enjoy cycling through these difficult times, i.e., solo cycling or family groups only. Stay safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

One group of arseholes does not define everyone who takes part in that particular activity, no more than every arsehole driver defines every driver, pedestrian, runner, walker etc.

Also cyclists are traffic, they do not 'obstruct the flow of traffic'.

Right now I see way, way more groups of people not socially distancing, but I don't define everyone by these inconsiderate arseholes.

Arseholes are arseholes, their preferred activity does not define that activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Even during this **** storm we can rely on threads to fall into the usual clichés

I'm not "having a stab at cyclists". But as a cyclist myself I am keen that we ourselves as cyclists establish a new behavioural norm which allows all cyclists to continue to enjoy cycling through these difficult times, i.e., solo cycling or family groups only. Stay safe.

Yea sorry but that carries as much water as "I'm not a racist but........"

You were annoyed that this group of people on bicycles who are traffic, "obstructed" traffic... which I assume you were observing whilst driving your car...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out again today at lunch and while there were a lot of cyclists out, first time I noticed everyone was solo. Looks like the message is sinking in for the majority. Also plenty of solo joggers out and walkers mostly in pairs. I wonder whether being aerobically fit has much affect in terms of resilience to infection, ability to cope with respiratory illness and time to recover? Some benefit I suspect, though realise it is an argument from bias and not an area in which I've any expertise. Certainly good for the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

My point is that group cycling with no reference to social distancing puts all cyclists in a poorer light

I saw a neighbour having a gathering last night, way in excess of the 4 people that's been mandated. This behaviour puts all neighbours in a poorer light.

I saw a neighbour having a gathering last night, way in excess of the 4 people that's been mandated. This behaviour puts all neighbours in a poorer light.

Report them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 alarmcode

"people on bicycles" you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I read this post and the parts, I have highlighted, are the only pieces that I noted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

smacl wrote: »
    Out again today at lunch and while there were a lot of cyclists out, first time I noticed everyone was solo. Looks like the message is sinking in for the majority. Also plenty of solo joggers out and walkers mostly in pairs. I wonder whether being aerobically fit has much affect in terms of resilience to infection, ability to cope with respiratory illness and time to recover? Some benefit I suspect, though realise it is an argument from bias and not an area in which I've any expertise. Certainly good for the head.

Noticing same.
    But then a group of 6 teenagers formed beside me *facepalm*.
    In the main though everyone's socially distancing which is great to see.
    Also so many awesome dogs in the park now (all dogs are awesome!) Every time I'm there I can guarantee there will be many of them flying about adorably!

Guidance from CI website:
    Cycling is encouraged in the following instances while adhering to social distancing guidelines:

Exercising outdoors once per day (solo or with members of your household)
    Shopping for basic necessities
    Providing care or helping somebody vulnerable
    Travelling to/from essential work
    Indoor training

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

smacl wrote: »

Syndicated article from the NY Times in the Irish Times below. The general takeaway from a number of studies is that regular cardiovascular exercise bolsters your immunity. Reassuring to know. So keep pedalling (alone).

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/does-exercise-help-or-hinder-the-body-s-ability-to-fight-off-infections-1.4198614

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Small 40Km around Phoenix park loop just to get out. Few others about, all single riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Out for a quick 50k today, cut short 20k in I realised my Di2 battery was dead, lucky I was in a 'manageable' gear for the remainder. Missed the last 9k yesterday too cos I didn't charge my Wahoo, shocking distracted between homework and working from home that Im forgetting the basics. Beautiful out there. Weird going round the airport with nothing flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Our Greenway down the road is usually packed during the day. So I've started going out in the evenings, much quieter and easier to obey the guidelines.

Maybe it's just me, but I LOVE night time cycling! There's something peaceful about just being out and about by yourself on the bike, even better with an earphone in with some music on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Guidance from CI website:
    Cycling is encouraged in the following instances while adhering to social distancing guidelines:

Exercising outdoors once per day (solo or with members of your household)
    Shopping for basic necessities
    Providing care or helping somebody vulnerable
    Travelling to/from essential work
    Indoor training

More of the Cycling Ireland statement:
    Cycling is proven to be beneficial for your physical and mental health, provided that physical distance guidelines are followed. With increased strain placed on our health system, Cycling Ireland would encourage you to ride with extra caution and stick to familiar roads. It is vital that as members of the cycling community we continue to act responsibly so that cycling can be used for transportation and managing our health during this time of crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing to bear in mind is that road deaths appear to be on the up this month, which has confused the RSA. less traffic = faster driving, is probably one of the chief causes.
    IIRC, march last year recorded 12 deaths, and so far this year we're up to 18.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement