Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Our Greenway down the road is usually packed during the day. So I've started going out in the evenings, much quieter and easier to obey the guidelines.

Maybe it's just me, but I LOVE night time cycling! There's something peaceful about just being out and about by yourself on the bike, even better with an earphone in with some music on! :)

You should get a pair of aftershokz - find them much better than earphones

• Registered Users Posts: 18,370 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

well my work commuting is over as of today that was 125km per week and a spin at the weekend on top. Going to aim for alternate day cycles and double the distance. see how it goes, will be working from home but will aim for a 6am-9ish

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

one thing to bear in mind is that road deaths appear to be on the up this month, which has confused the RSA. less traffic = faster driving, is probably one of the chief causes.
    IIRC, march last year recorded 12 deaths, and so far this year we're up to 18.

A frightening development if its a trend. People are very stressed these days, panicked and rushing from A to B for no reason.

I was walking the dog (who's doing great after his acl operation 6 weeks ago) just before 9pm. Saw a woman riding on the road coming towards us with a surgical mask on.
    and no lights !!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

one thing to bear in mind is that road deaths appear to be on the up this month, which has confused the RSA. less traffic = faster driving, is probably one of the chief causes.
    IIRC, march last year recorded 12 deaths, and so far this year we're up to 18.
    I think most cars are fine but I've noticed over the last week that there are a few who take the piss completely in terms of speeding.
    On my cycle today, these two fellas passed me.

As a reference, in the first clip, the skoda overtoook the other car which was travelling at what I assume was the speed limit. Anyhow, caught up with the Skoda at Kilshane Cross so his Schumacher moment was for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cycling Ireland have group spins and races on Zwift. Wish I had a smart thing! They even have women's races :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »
    Cycling Ireland have group spins and races on Zwift. Wish I had a smart thing! They even have women's races :(
    If the Corona virus proves one thing, that if an organisation had tried they could have done alot of things a long time ago. Not a dig at CI but alot of researchers I know who have issues travelling have asked for years for remote conferencing to save travel. At best you might get one lecture at a meeting, but that was rare. Always claimed it is too difficult or cost prohibitive (not my words). Covid 19 rears its head and all of a sudden it's a piece of piss to do. For women's races, I firmly believe if they picked one event each week or each fortnight and said to the nominated club, run a women's race come hell or high water and if it doesn't get the numbers, we will cover your loss. I guarantee the majority would get the numbers. A female racer I work with often doesn't go to races far away because she isn't travelling to find out on arrival the race isn't being run.

Yep completely agree re the women's races.
    Also organisers have to shoulder some responsibility - I know of several that do the 'women's race on if there's numbers if not yet in with the A3's /A4's'. Then they complain not enough women turn up for a separate race - if never travel to a race unless it's a guaranteed separate women's race, and there are plenty like me - as can be seen in the numbers that actually turn up to guaranteed weekends races v the above. Then the organisers moan about not enough numbers turning up :rolleyes:.
    I was one of 62 women at the first weekend's only race last year, and now there are more women than A1's turning up at races, but the A1's get a race every weekend but we don't...
    Also a much higher percentage of women who are CI members race than men, over double. Also female membership as a whole and female competitive membership is growing, so they're really missing a trick. Should be a condition of getting your race approved, that you run a separate women's race.

Rant over!

CI league up on Zwift. Prizes and categories and all: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-launches-series-of-eracing-events-and-workouts/27490 .
    Really wish I had a smart trainer thing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CI league up on Zwift. Prizes and categories and all: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-launches-series-of-eracing-events-and-workouts/27490 .

You can sign up using zpower (zwift's virtual power). you enter your trainer details, and once you have something that will transmit cadence to zwift, there is a calculashun that will convert the cadence and a known resistance curve of your trainer into virtual power.
    https://support.zwift.com/en_us/zpower-setup-r1XjaXbxr

edit - from CI blurb

group D : Heart rate monitors are not required, and zpower sources of power data may be used by
    all entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

lennymc wrote: »
    You can sign up using zpower (zwift's virtual power). you enter your trainer details, and once you have something that will transmit cadence to zwift, there is a calculashun that will convert the cadence and a known resistance curve of your trainer into virtual power.
    https://support.zwift.com/en_us/zpower-setup-r1XjaXbxr

edit - from CI blurb

group D : Heart rate monitors are not required, and zpower sources of power data may be used by
    all entrants

No one is really in cat D though. C and upwards require a smart trainer or power meter unfortunately

Hmmmm I have rollers and a wahoo with a cadence and hrm, that's not gonna do it really is it?

Prizes? Nice

Just worked out my FTP based on the balls out effort on Zwift last night. I am just in Cat C, by the narrowest of margins. If I get better over the week, I presume if I beat the power threshold thing I will be DQd from that race and should sign up for the Cat B the next time, or will it be liek track, you get away with that one race and then are bumped up for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

silverharp wrote: »
    well my work commuting is over as of today that was 125km per week and a spin at the weekend on top. Going to aim for alternate day cycles and double the distance. see how it goes, will be working from home but will aim for a 6am-9ish

I've been working at home as well since around 2 weeks ago and have taken to a "commute" in the 25-30km range. I leave the house around 6:30, and am back before 8 in time to help get the kids giddied up for the day. It's great to clear your head in the morning and round our way there's little or no traffic on most roads

CramCycle wrote: »
    Prizes? Nice

Just worked out my FTP based on the balls out effort on Zwift last night. I am just in Cat C, by the narrowest of margins. If I get better over the week, I presume if I beat the power threshold thing I will be DQd from that race and should sign up for the Cat B the next time, or will it be liek track, you get away with that one race and then are bumped up for the next one.

Well I presume there would be prizes - does the self satisfaction of knowing you won count as a prize?! :pac:

Prizes? Nice

I think the software figures all that out for you and highlights if you are in the wrong group.

Well I presume there would be prizes - does the self satisfaction of knowing you won count as a prize?! :pac:

There is no sweeter gift in racing than too look at the dull empty eyes of your foes as they cross the line after you, that is all a person needs for fufillment.

To be honest, much like CX with lennymc, so long as we can beat RobFowl and Lenny can virtually push him into a ditch, thats all I need. :pac:

I do wonder will there be many spectators who are bored watching.

There is no sweeter gift in racing than too look at the dull empty eyes of your foes as they cross the line after you, that is all a person needs for fufillment.

To be honest, much like CX with lennymc, so long as we can beat RobFowl and Lenny can virtually push him into a ditch, thats all I need. :pac:

I do wonder will there be many spectators who are bored watching.

who do you think you are, stealing our virtual races and pushing of forum members into bushes!! :)

Oh can you spectate? That's something I should be able to do!
    How does one do such a thing?
    Unless ye're taking the piss. I do expect at least one ditch push.
    How are all the A4 crashes gonna happen? Does your smart trainer keel over?!

• Advertisement

I nearly crashed my turbo trainer one night when Celtic scored against Barca in the champions league.....

If you download the zwift app I think you can select just watch, not sure if you need a subscription or not.

My FTP now puts me just above C. I find the difference between C and B is huge. If I'm in C and race smart I can get on or near the podium but if I'm in B then I'm having to go absolutely flat out from the start and usually blow up badly halfway through. It's a mad workout though :D:D

Daroxtar wrote: »
    My FTP now puts me just above C. I find the difference between C and B is huge. If I'm in C and race smart I can get on or near the podium but if I'm in B then I'm having to go absolutely flat out from the start and usually blow up badly halfway through. It's a mad workout though :D:D

I calculated mine based on my first attempt at a zwift ride where I got dropped after I accidentally hit the power button on my phone and turned off the screen. It wa a C ride and there wasn't a hope I was placing anywhere respectable. I got it back on and wa 200m off the back (didn't stop pedalling). It was exactly 20minutes so called it a day. 3.18W/kg. It took me 40 minutes, with a 10 minute cold shower before my face stopped looking like a tomato and I started to cool down. After 2 weeks of no training, including almost a week of no cycling at all, I eat all and sundry around me. I see there are two riders on zwift power who have put themselves in the wrong group, and another i know who appears ot have lost a bit of weight since I seen him last :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If anybody is looking for a little bit of light relief, check out ITV2 tonight at 9.00pm. It'll take your minds off the current situation.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If anybody is looking for a little bit of light relief, check out ITV2 tonight at 9.00pm. It'll take your minds off the current situation.

It's actually quite good with the details, goes a bit hollywood in parts but one of the more realistic of those type of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Eamonnator wrote: »

Is it a program about Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

****ING CYCLISTS

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7jmpx/china-is-now-blaming-a-lone-us-cyclist-for-coronavirus
    ...claims that the virus was manufactured in a U.S. military lab and brought to China by a cyclist who took part in the World Military Games in Wuhan in October.

He's giving us all a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did I read somewhere about a pro who was using Zwift during the lockdown but couldn't place in any of the races he was doing? I think he was sort of implying there was either some great untapped talent out there or there was some jiggery-pokery going on.

• Advertisement

That was George Bennett. I think he was just admitting that Zwift racing is very different to real life racing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement