Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I just passed a tightly packed bunch of 6 cyclists, 2/3 abreast on the Piltown road near Bettystown. No social distance and obstructing the flow of traffic. This is exactly the irresponsible behaviour that will result in the banning of cycling. Cop yourselves on lads.

I passed a group of 3 yesterday (all in club gear :rolleyes:) and another group of 5 today. Can people in this country really not entertain themselves on their own?

Not all of us like turbo trainers you know.

GreyEagle is 100% correct - Cop on to yourselves lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Daroxtar wrote: »
    That was George Bennett. I think he was just admitting that Zwift racing is very different to real life racing

Ah yes, George 'he did a Landis' Bennett! Interesting to read the various pro's and their take on training on turbo's. Some guys can go for hours, while Pinot admitted he can only do an hour, maybe 90 minutes and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

signed up for the CI league but I don't see the event on Saturday in my Zwift Companion App.
    Anyone else see it? Maybe I have to be 'approved' after signing up I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

It’s listed as the 3R Tic Tock Flat Race @ 11.15

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So they want to do the Tour without spectators?

How on earth can they do that? Are social distancing protocols going to be ignored in the peloton? Will we see bottles being handed out on the end of selfie-sticks? Will they evacuate whole regions of France to avoid anyone getting a sneak peek? It doesn't really smack me of an event they can do behind closed doors!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Beasty wrote: »
    So they want to do the Tour without spectators?

Please tell me you're joking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

eeeee wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking

No, you're not joking https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-could-happen-behind-closed-doors-says-french-sports-minister/

Oh ffs *facepalm *

There's no way that's going ahead. Wildly irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

LennoxR wrote: »
    Naturally there are other strategies for handling stress e.g. meeting friends, visiting family, playing with my nieces, going to a film. Etc. But all of these are not on atm.

So no cycling too would be bad!

Please have a pinch of the attached/linked before and after reading!

I was thinking more along the lines of Blaire Pascal; learn to be content while sitting still and alone in an empty room.

Most people who get their relief from sports/activity/distraction are at and end of a spectrum where the above is going to be really difficult. We can manage away fine until the world conspires suddenly against us and denies us our normal relief.

For nearly 6 weeks a few years back I couldn't cycle and rarely get outside in fresh air coupled with extreme end of spectrum stresses which I had to deal with; avoiding/ignoring wasn't an option. Luckily for me and my family I had skilled up in Mr Pascal's challenge in the previous 12 months and got through it.

A life long sports person is never in all probability going to transition to a Buddhist monk or similar but we can vastly skill up. I'm talking simple CBT techniques, meditation, headspace, etc.

Since then I've done way less cycling, and no more very hard long audax stuff, but I've never enjoyed the bike more.

No of us know where this will end and hopefully the lone cyclist will be allowed through it all.

In my experience you won't get anything warning the your world is about to come crushing down so skilling up will always stand to you.

https://www.gourmetfoodstore.com/maldon-maldon-sea-salt-13083

eCV7dbVFUwKHC4ms9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

eeeee wrote: »
    No, you're not joking https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-could-happen-behind-closed-doors-says-french-sports-minister/ There's no way that's going ahead. Wildly irresponsible.

Can't see it happening either, this virus isn't going away anytime soon, even if they found a vaccine for it tomorrow it will still take countries months to "reboot" and the TDF would represent a massive drain on public services like the Police and medical services...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Can't see it happening either, this virus isn't going away anytime soon, even if they found a vaccine for it tomorrow it will still take countries months to "reboot" and the TDF would represent a massive drain on public services like the Police and medical services...

Run it like a club league, no support cars, no cameras, just strava to see did anyone cheat after the fact. All you would need is comms at the start to start the race, and a follow car to DQ people who dropped off the back. Get the Comms to take a video on their phone as they cross the line and stick it up on a private whatsapp group or facebook page later. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

SwissToni wrote: »
    It’s listed as the 3R Tic Tock Flat Race @ 11.15

thanks! Just actually saw it there now on the CI website as well. Must have missed that yesterday.

To be honest, I thought it would be a CI-named event with just all of us in it though....they're using an existing race that's open to the whole world?
    And it's all categories off together at the same time too...like not separate races as some organisers do, where you have all the C's off together for example.
    So I guess we will all just be randomly there in the middle of everyone else in the race that aren't in the CI league. Awww :(

Anyways should still be fun! I'll be watching the A's and B's absolutely flying away off in the distance with their big scary red power numbers for W/KG :eek:, and (I guess) we can check results after on ZP and see how we all did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When it is a mass start, willl you see your position relative to your own catagory in the group, or just your overall position and they tell you where in your group you are at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

andy69 wrote: »
    thanks! Just actually saw it there now on the CI website as well. Must have missed that yesterday.

To be honest, I thought it would be a CI-named event with just all of us in it though....they're using an existing race that's open to the whole world?
    And it's all categories off together at the same time too...like not separate races as some organisers do, where you have all the C's off together for example.
    So I guess we will all just be randomly there in the middle of everyone else in the race that aren't in the CI league. Awww :(

Anyways should still be fun! I'll be watching the A's and B's absolutely flying away off in the distance with their big scary red power numbers for W/KG :eek:, and (I guess) we can check results after on ZP and see how we all did

Looks like that alright, it was nearly a good idea, can’t see how Zwift would not give a national federation its own race, maybe they will down the line.
    Racing with others who don’t count for results is a bit unrealistic, and personally don’t like all groups starting together, prepare to be sick in the first 5k 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CramCycle wrote: »
    When it is a mass start, willl you see your position relative to your own catagory in the group, or just your overall position and they tell you where in your group you are at the end?

relative to your group afaik. get there earlier - it's a gridded start, so you end up near the front of the bunch. go full gas just before the start, or risk being dropped immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

lennymc wrote: »
    relative to your group afaik. get there earlier - it's a gridded start, so you end up near the front of the bunch. go full gas just before the start, or risk being dropped immediately!

Ssshhhhh!!!! How are we supposed to get the jump at the start if you tell everyone how to get the jump at the start :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Now talking about shortening the Grand Tours to 2 weeks and squeezing them in at the backend of the Season (I guess the postponement of the Olympics does open up a bit more time)

Why not combine the 3 - take in Rome/Milan, Madrid and Paris over 3 weeks. What could possibly go wrong???

More seriously, it looks as if TV money is driving a lot of these "ideas". However who the hell is getting any serious training in? If they are they are probably compromising their immune systems. Bodies need to be 100% to fight this virus - there are a few examples of people succumbing after some serious exercise, maybe because their bodies are busy repairing rather than devoting resource to immune systems.

Some of those climbs in the Grand Tours take riders to the limit and I seriously think they should call off the major races for this year and start planning for next year (and I would argue the same for pretty much all professional sport - this is about spectators as well as participants). Looking at the way this has evolved in Italy, Spain, France, Germany and now the UK, there is no reasonable chance of athletes getting themselves prepared for what are pretty much ultimate physical tests with all this going on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I passed a group of 3 yesterday (all in club gear :rolleyes:) and another group of 5 today. Can people in this country really not entertain themselves on their own?

Not all of us like turbo trainers you know.

GreyEagle is 100% correct - Cop on to yourselves lads!!

I seen a two group's of runners (3 and 4) and a group of walkers (6) yesterday out Stepaside way yesterday evening. None observing 2m. Even forming the group is mad on these times.

Also lots of people out walking, as in way more than normal. I can see a further restriction on movement based on this.

On a brighter note, its the first cycle I have had in years with not one close pass. There were some silly overtakes befoe blind bends, but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was up around Annagassan today. I met three cyclists, I thought they were far too close to each other. I then realised that it was a tandem and a single. They were moving at a nice pace. They were in mufti, but I have an idea, who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was up around Annagassan today. I met three cyclists, I thought they were far too close to each other. I then realised that it was a tandem and a single. They were moving at a nice pace. They were in mufti, but I have an idea, who they were.

you should pop in for a cuppa tea in the garden next time you are up that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

'Only brief exercise within a 2km radius of your home is permitted'. The turbo it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,370 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that's bullsh1t, unless they start pulling over drivers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

**** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

**** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

How can they enforce it? If your pulled over just say your doing circuits:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,370 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

go cycling on your sh1tty bike wearing jeans and a tshirt. fake dog in basket in the front

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I live in stoneybatter would I be allowed do laps of the phoenix park?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

velo.2010 wrote: »
    'Only brief exercise within a 2km radius of your home is permitted'. The turbo it is so.

Phoenix Park is with that for my house, would I get away with solo loops? Probably not in full kit though.

billyhead wrote: »
    How can they enforce it? If your pulled over just say your doing circuits:)
    I'm going to be checking Strava and reporting miscreants:pac:

More seriously it is not law, but anyone ignoring it deserves all the grief they will get. We're in a crisis and we all need to contribute to its resolution rather than escalation

EDIT: Leo says there are legal powers to back this up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well Varadkar said it's going to be very hard to police, but the Gards can stop and fine you...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement