Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well Varadkar said it's going to be very hard to police, but the Gards can stop and fine you...

Haven't seen a guard in this village in about 3 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its disapointing that realistically I cant go for a spin for two weeks (which may be extended) but it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If too many people have the same idea - laps of the Phoenix Park for instance - then the park will simply be closed to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Haven't seen a guard in this village in about 3 years.

Yea you're grand if you're in a rural area, for most of us it means 20 laps of the housing estate or onto the turbo trainer...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Can I go cycling for 90 minutes on rural roads ..... 15 minutes on busy rural roads, the rest on quiet country roads ( 10 cars and maybe 2 walkers ) at 9am to 10.30am.
    According to Cycling Ireland, this is permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Scoondal wrote: »
    Can I go cycling for 90 minutes on rural roads ..... 15 minutes on busy rural roads, the rest on quiet country roads at 9am to 10.30am.

I don't think Cycling Ireland should be your first port of call in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Yea you're grand if you're in a rural area, for most of us it means 20 laps of the housing estate or onto the turbo trainer...

If you have a turbo.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I don't think Cycling Ireland should be your first port of call in this instance.

I didn't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Am now depressed. My only outlet was a solo cycle on Sunday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can I go cycling for 90 minutes on rural roads ..... 15 minutes on busy rural roads, the rest on quiet country roads ( 10 cars and maybe 2 walkers ) at 9am to 10.30am.

No - and this has only just been announced so CI will not have updated. You're limited to 2km like everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It seems strange to limit it to 2km. People are much more likely to congregate in a smaller area whereas before you would go out into more rural areas and meet less people.

I haven't been on my bicycle for two weeks.
    My 30km route is from an estate next to green fields, out into countryside. 4 kms on a road between two villages. I turn off before the villages and do 20kms on country roads, home on 4kms village to town roads. Normally, in 30kms, I meet 1 walker and 1 jogger. The rest are cocooned in their vehicles.
    I do not cycle through a town or village.
    Is this acceptable for preventing the spread of virus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

My 30km route is from an estate next to green fields, out into countryside. 4 kms on a road between two villages. I turn off before the villages and do 20kms on country roads, home on 4kms village to town roads. Normally, in 30kms, I meet 1 walker and 1 jogger. The rest are cocooned in their vehicles.

No, unfortunately. 2km from your house.

By the way, the perimeter of a circle with radius 2km is ( 2 x 3.14 x 2) 12.56km.

Do that 2x and you're not far from your 30km number.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You sound like the Healy Rae's defending drink driving in rural areas.

Beasty wrote: »
    No - and this has only just been announced so CI will not have updated. You're limited to 2km like everyone else

Okay for two weeks.
    I can use my wife's old exercise machine.
    I'm glad that I bought my house with side ground area now. I am fenced in !
    I don't need a 2km radius coz my garden needs attention.
    I never liked all the false "how are you ?" stuff anyway.
    This is my kind of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No reference to the Gards being able to fine you or prosecute for an offence until further laws under health considerations is signed into law by the minister of heath...

Those of us that may still cycle to work could 'get lost' on the way in causing us to do many more kms! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No reference to the Gards being able to fine you or prosecute for an offence until further laws under health considerations is signed into law by the minister of heath...
    being enacted tonight, according to a garda on a whatsapp group i'm on. he's an awful bull****ter, but seems serious about this. he included this screenshot:

507282.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not just about containing the spread of the virus, it's about reducing all load on the medical system from any cause.

He did say radius right? This might be useful https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I can work a nice 8km loop with pretty decent hill within a 2 km radius of me. 10 sets of traffic lights tough. Might save a copy to my phone just in case :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He did say radius right? This might be useful https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I can work a nice 8km loop with pretty decent hill within a 2 km radius of me. 10 sets of traffic lights tough. Might save a copy to my phone just in case :p

Or maybe you could stay at home and think of others

Okay ... new government directive is exercise within 2kms of your home.
    But it's not the law .... just advice.

Won't really work for those of us who live right beside the sea. I can only go north, west or south.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Or maybe you could stay at home and think of others

You could do a 60 kms ride. There is no law prohibiting that.
    Let the nicely, nicely police take care of it.
    "Ah sure Johnny, stop breaking the windows, wuje, gowan home now like a good man wugje".

best of luck explaining that to a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Don't be a dick, it's not the law, just advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Don't be a dick, it's not the law, just advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

If you are putting your interest in cycling ahead of these new measures you are frankly a disgrace of a human being.

enough of the personal jibes, please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone doing more than 2k around their house is a selfish bastard. It's wildly irresponsible and unsafe right now. You will be fine, but you can pass on a lot of your unawares, and the more people and the bigger area you go through the higher the chance and wider the the spread of this virus.

Cycling for exercise beyond 2k of your house is completely and utterly indefensible now. Completely. It's a small sacrifice for the greater good. Your need to pedal is completely outweighed by the need to save lives, particularly of those more vulnerable than yourself.
    Cycling will be here after, people killed by your selfish actions will not.

Keep it to within 2k of your house. It's a teeny, tiny price to pay not to overwhelm our health services and kill people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement