Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

In Siargao island in The Philippines there are no recorded cases of Covid-19.
    There is a curfew. If you are on the street in daytime, there are numerous police checks that you have to show a piece of paper entitling you to one shopping trip. A country of 90 million with less deaths than Ireland. We should ask Philippines for their help.
    Ireland should follow Philippines example. Philippines is totally on this virus emergency. Ireland looks like an idiot country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Scoondal wrote: »
    There is a curfew. If you are on the street in daytime, there are numerous police checks that you have to show a piece of paper entitling you to one shopping trip. A country of 90 million with less deaths than Ireland. We should ask Philippines for their help.
    Ireland should follow Philippines example. Philippines is totally on this virus emergency. Ireland looks like an idiot country.

I'd rather have my president than the murderous bastard that runs the Philippines. Maybe that has some to do with it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod Note: this is a thread about Cycling and the Coronavirus only. There is a whole other forum to discuss the Coronavirus more generally.
    Any further OT posts will be deleted, do not respond in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eeeee wrote: »
    Anyone doing more than 2k around their house is a selfish bastard. It's wildly irresponsible and unsafe right now. You will be fine, but you can pass on a lot of your unawares, and the more people and the bigger area you go through the higher the chance and wider the the spread of this virus.

Cycling for exercise beyond 2k of your house is completely and utterly indefensible now. Completely. It's a small sacrifice for the greater good. Your need to pedal is completely outweighed by the need to save lives, particularly of those more vulnerable than yourself.
    Cycling will be here after, people killed by your selfish actions will not.

Keep it to within 2k of your house. It's a teeny, tiny price to pay not to overwhelm our health services and kill people.
    I don't think anyone was actually serious - I wasn't anyway. Peer pressure will dictate it for 95% of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I will obey of course, but I really hope this is only for two weeks. Being stuck at home on own without work is tough on the oul head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Why can’t you all just go for a run or a walk around your area for the two weeks?

The roads will still be there after this is over....

Stay safe and save lives

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's at times like this i am glad of the decent sized garden and the shed to make wood shavings in.
    i say that like this has happened before.

Anyone doing more than 2k around their house is a selfish bastard. It's wildly irresponsible and unsafe right now. You will be fine, but you can pass on a lot of your unawares, and the more people and the bigger area you go through the higher the chance and wider the the spread of this virus.

Cycling for exercise beyond 2k of your house is completely and utterly indefensible now. Completely. It's a small sacrifice for the greater good. Your need to pedal is completely outweighed by the need to save lives, particularly of those more vulnerable than yourself.
    Cycling will be here after, people killed by your selfish actions will not.

Keep it to within 2k of your house. It's a teeny, tiny price to pay not to overwhelm our health services and kill people.

I have a 1.7km route around my house. 25 laps ... that's worse than cycling among trees and a few cows. Idiocy is now becoming a norm, I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Don’t think 2/3 weeks without a cycle is going to kill anyone sacrifices need to be made by everyone

it's at times like this i am glad of the decent sized garden and the shed to make wood shavings in.
    i say that like this has happened before.
    I hear you boi. When it's nice weather, do the garden, if it's raining, paint the rooms, put up the shelves and wudje ever fix the *** toilet ?
    My house is starting to look okay with all this "stay at home" mantra.
    Can we mention ... um ... you know .. dat kind of thing that has become sorta more frequent too ? Or can anyone direct me to the correct forum for that, em, sort of thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

He did say radius right? This might be useful https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I can work a nice 8km loop with pretty decent hill within a 2 km radius of me. 10 sets of traffic lights tough. Might save a copy to my phone just in case :p
    Balls. I'm in Tallaght so 4km would get me Bohernabreena, Seskin Hill, The Embankment etc. and I'd be happy out. 2km only gets me estates. Still, if thats the worst inconvenience I get over the next while, I'll count my blessings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Agreed but it’s not to do with spreading it, more so you come off the bike and need medical attention. Nobody’s spreading anything cycling around solo.

I hear you boi. When it's nice weather, do the garden, if it's raining, paint the rooms, put up the shelves and wudje ever fix the *** toilet ?
    My house is starting to look okay with all this "stay at home" mantra.
    Can we mention ... um ... you know .. dat kind of thing that has become sorta more frequent too ? Or can anyone direct me to the correct forum for that, em, sort of thing ?

I think I already mentioned a christmas/new year baby boom earlier in the tread :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

jive wrote: »
    Agreed but it’s not to do with spreading it, more so you come off the bike and need medical attention. Nobody’s spreading anything cycling around solo.

But you can spread it.
    The more areas to go to the more people you cycle by, the more droplets you spread and come into contact with, the more you spread (see the road.cc link linked earlier).
    If you keep it to 2k you seriously limit your infectious range, both ways - getting and giving.
    Reducing pressure on hospitals in the case of an accident is also a benefit, but further battening down the social distanceing and reducing the spread is the primary motivator behind these restrictions.

But you can spread it.
    The more areas to go to the more people you cycle by, the more droplets you spread and come into contact with, the more you spread (see the road.cc link linked earlier).
    If you keep it to 2k you seriously limit your infectious range, both ways - getting and giving.
    Reducing pressure on hospitals in the case of an accident is also a benefit, but further battening down the social distanceing and reducing the spread is the primary motivator behind these restrictions.

Not to quibble with you, because in general the 2 km limit will limit the spread, stop people from going on day trips, congregating etc, but my understanding is that you must be in close proximity of an infected person fro about 15 mins to transmit or receive the virus, no? You won't do that by cycling past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

LennoxR wrote: »
    Not to quibble with you, because in general the 2 km limit will limit the spread, stop people from going on day trips, congregating etc, but my understanding is that you must be in close proximity of an infected person fro about 15 mins to transmit or receive the virus, no? You won't do that by cycling past them.

You will if you sneeze on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I feel people don't get sarcasm and an attempt at being jovial in the face of adversity anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

2km, grand. Brief, what's brief?

Can I do an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That is correct. The advice given to the general public has to be vague to encourage compliance but the advice give to those of us working in direct contact with those who have tested positive for Covid-19 differs completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

2km.. thank feck for that, it's been a while since I had a proper spin on the road bike, this will ease me back in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it will stop the likes of people driving down to Glendalough etc. which in the scheme of things is alright though , they could have left cycling vague or say 2 or more people cant be seen cycling together.
    in reality a single person out cycling cant possibly pass the bug on or catch it and a bit of a p1sser given that there are still flights going though Dublin and public transport is still operating

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2km.. thank feck for that, it's been a while since I had a proper spin on the road bike, this will ease me back in :pac:
    if you live beside a steep hill, now's the time to think about everesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

But you can spread it.

Stop
    I could cycle 100km around where I live and not meet a single person walking/running/cycling.
    But me going in to work in a medical device factory in a room with 80 to 100 people in it presents a far greater risk of contracting or spreading this virus than any cycle I'll ever do. We all don't live in towns or cities. Nor do we all have to go through towns or cities or areas with lots of people when we're out on our bikes.
    I'll respect the 2km limit like I've respected all guidelines communicated so far. Some before they were announced. But this 2km limit for people living in the country is nuts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So I live in the middle of no where. No one walks the roads as they are pure (s9te. I was out this evening and did 50km around back roads due to failing light and met no one walking. 4 cars passed me as the road is only a 1 car road.

Ill abide by the new rules, but I honestly can't see how I can affect anyone.

silverharp wrote: »
    it will stop the likes of people driving down to Glendalough etc. which in the scheme of things is alright though , they could have left cycling vague or say 2 or more people cant be seen cycling together.
    in reality a single person out cycling cant possibly pass the bug on or catch it and a bit of a p1sser given that there are still flights going though Dublin and public transport is still operating

Agreed re stopping day trips etc. Public transport is virtually empty these days from what I can see. But yes, I don't understand why they don't stop passenger flights in. In fact I think they should have done it sooner.

Re the cycling, I suppose we can put up with it for a while, I think it's mainly about showing a good example - like - why should we be able to enjoy ourselves while everyone else is coop up, kind of thing.

But as I said above, I really hope it's just or the two weeks. In the meantime I'll try to take up jogging!

G1032 wrote: »
    But this 2km limit for people living in the country is nuts.
    what do you suggest? a sliding scale based on the density of population of your surrounding area, with a handy government booklet explaining how to calculate what distance applies to you?
    these are emergency measures with a current life expectancy of two weeks, and nuance goes out the door. they're one size fits all.

yop wrote: »
    So I live in the middle of no where. No one walks the roads as they are pure (s9te. I was out this evening and did 50km around back roads due to failing light and met no one walking. 4 cars passed me as the road is only a 1 car road.

I'd imagine the Guards in rural areas will allow people some leeway. Hopefully anyway.

yop wrote: »

There can’t be a different rule for every single person it’s an arbitrary estimation

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the Guards in rural areas will allow people some leeway. Hopefully anyway.

I’d imagine less time in jail for country folk😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement