Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LennoxR wrote: »
    ... But yes, I don't understand why they don't stop passenger flights in. In fact I think they should have done it sooner....
    Because it's essential for some people to have to travel - just like it essential for some people to have to go to work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not to quibble with you, because in general the 2 km limit will limit the spread, stop people from going on day trips, congregating etc, but my understanding is that you must be in close proximity of an infected person fro about 15 mins to transmit or receive the virus, no? You won't do that by cycling past them.

That is no longer considered even remotely true, this was advice that was early on and has proved not to be consistent with data. We truthfully don't know specifically but I'll put this way, if I was positive, verified, guaranteed, infectious in every way possible, would you stand near me for 15 minutes, how about 10minutes, or 3 minutes. Lets say I just leaned in close, less than 5 seconds close proximity, where is the line. Not to mentin the now shown to be false belief that young people will be fine. This is a rapidly evolving situation but don't take anything for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

But as I said above, I really hope it's just or the two weeks. In the meantime I'll try to take up jogging!

I live near Sandymount strand, with the tide out there is a decent 2+KM down to near Booterstown. I havnt run in a few years but beach running is pleasant enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

There are no laws in Ireland prventing cyclists riding their bicycles.
    In Philippines, you will be arrested for riding a bicycle for leisure.
    I will be out training at 8.30am Saturday morning. Totally lawful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd imagine the Guards in rural areas will allow people some leeway. Hopefully anyway.

I’d hope not - otherwise you will see those areas over-run with day trippers . And in any case , this isn’t time for “ nod and a wink” policing .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Because it's essential for some people to have to travel - just like it essential for some people to have to go to work.
    yep; there are people who might still need to get home. i could list off many people i know who are not currently resident in the country of their birth who might have cause to get back home. how they do so is probably a logistical nightmare, but life throws curveballs and the need may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Omega28 wrote: »
    Why can’t you all just go for a run or a walk around your area for the two weeks?

The roads will still be there after this is over....

Stay safe and save lives

??? What's the difference between going for a run and going for a cycle? As long as your within 2k from home, what difference does it make? (Besides...I've 3 bikes and I don't own a pair of runners and all the shops are closed! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

what do you suggest? a sliding scale based on the density of population of your surrounding area, with a handy government booklet explaining how to calculate what distance applies to you?
    these are emergency measures with a current life expectancy of two weeks, and nuance goes out the door. they're one size fits all.
    Like I said, I'll respect the measures introduced like I have all along
    My post was really just a reply to the suggestion that I'd spread this virus through my cycling. Sorry but that's just not the case. I literally cycled 102km today without coming within 2 meters of anything other than a motor vehicle. I have a loop I can do around my house and maintain the 2km radius. Not going to bother my @rse though to be honest.
    Cycling in groups etc is obviously a problem. I did notify my club before any cancellations etc that I wasn't going ahead with racing on weekend of 15th March nor was I going to Ras Maigh Eo. But cycling alone..... Ya I've been cycling alone since then and I could no more spread this virus while out on my bike alone than the man on the moon.
    We're probably paying here for the selfish actions of some people over the last few weeks.

CramCycle wrote: »
    That is no longer considered even remotely true, this was advice that was early on and has proved not to be consistent with data. We truthfully don't know specifically but I'll put this way, if I was positive, verified, guaranteed, infectious in every way possible, would you stand near me for 15 minutes, how about 10minutes, or 3 minutes. Lets say I just leaned in close, less than 5 seconds close proximity, where is the line. Not to mentin the now shown to be false belief that young people will be fine. This is a rapidly evolving situation but don't take anything for granted.

Cram
    Have you a link that shows the >2 meters idea is no longer considered true. I'd like to show it to management at work please.

My wife is working in a " care establishment ".
    Our house is cleaned with dis-infectant daily. Her normal habits in work have become simple normal habits in our home.
    She can see no reason that I should not ride my bike around country roads.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    So I live in the middle of no where. No one walks the roads as they are pure (s9te. I was out this evening and did 50km around back roads due to failing light and met no one walking. 4 cars passed me as the road is only a 1 car road.

Ill abide by the new rules, but I honestly can't see how I can affect anyone.
    It works both ways though. You say you live in the 'middle of nowhere' so I suspect you have a stand alone dwelling on a bit of land or perhaps even on a farm. Leaving cycling aside, you probably have scope to move around throughout the day in and out of your house, to your car, if you have one etc.

I live on a street and my car is parked in a public place. If I go out to my car tomorrow to retrive something, I am effectively 'in public' and I could be accused of leaving my house unnecessarily during this pandemic whereas someone with a driveway couldn't be accused of doing so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Scoondal wrote: »
    please. stop this nonsense, or seek clarification in the legal issues thread.
    The powers also allow restrictions on travel into or from the State or within an area. People can also be required to stay in their homes and events can be prohibited.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0320/1124483-covid-19-legislation/

is it that difficult for you to admit discretion is the better part of valour? just put your bike away for two weeks. this is not a crusade which puts you in a good light.

I saw a car today coming out of an estate with a kayak on the roof.
    I thought ... " go man, isolation on the sea".
    Why are some people against some other people enjoying themselves while adhering to the social rules of 2 metres apart ?
    Go kayaking, hiking and cycling. Just do not congregate.

Is it any wonder we're in 'Lockdown'
    Can you not just respect the measures being implemented, regardless of whether you agree with them or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Why are some people against some other people enjoying themselves while adhering to the social rules of 2 metres apart ?

Did you miss the government press conference this evening?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

G1032 wrote: »
    Cram
    Have you a link that shows the >2 meters idea is no longer considered true. I'd like to show it to management at work please.

Never said the 2m thing was untrue, the 15 minute thing is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I'm only going on what the HSE is saying. https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes-treatment.html
    spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person

In any case, what you are taking about there is close person to person contact. Very unlikely to happen between a cyclist and pedestrian if you are cycling on a road in a rural area.

But, again, I will respect the 2km rule, I just hope it's lifted wrt cycling at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

My wife is working in a " care establishment ".
    Our house is cleaned with dis-infectant daily. Her normal habits in work have become simple normal habits in our home.
    She can see no reason that I should not ride my bike around country roads.

Say you have an accident that requires A&E? I've had many falls myself over the years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It works both ways though. You say you live in the 'middle of nowhere' so I suspect you have a stand alone dwelling on a bit of land or perhaps even on a farm. Leaving cycling aside, you probably have scope to move around throughout the day in and out of your house, to your car, if you have one etc.

I live on a street and my car is parked in a public place. If I go out to my car tomorrow to retrive something, I am effectively 'in public' and I could be accused of leaving my house unnecessarily during this pandemic whereas someone with a driveway couldn't be accused of doing so.

Ya I do indeed. Its a catch all with the 2km and I don't disagree with it either.
    2-4 weeks will be a killer not cycling, but if its saves lives, including my own, then so be it :)

Never said the 2m thing was untrue, the 15 minute thing is rubbish.

Ah sorry. Cheers.
    Any link for the 15 minute thing??🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

MOD note: Off Topic post deleted

How is this relevant, or consistent with you saying you are not going to respect the directives brought in? Just obey the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

"go man, isolation on the sea" you thought. Ah well, I guess it's that sort of mindset that has us where we currently are with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I wish I had shares in Wahoo, Tacx or Zwift these days... No matter what the legalities we all have a social responsibility to obey the recommendations given by Government....

... the 15 minute thing is rubbish.
    The advice being given by the HSE OHD would differ. I had to refer 26 staff to them on Saturday night who had worked extensively with those who had tested positive for Covid-19 and they only expressed concern for one of those 26. I spoke extensively with a senior medic in their dept. and he said that they had no concern about anyone who spent less than 15 consecutive minutes within 1 meter of a positive case. He emphasised the consecutive 15 minutes saying that a staff could spend multiple amounts of 10 minutes with a positive person without concern unless they were actually sneezed on and that would be without PPE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There are no good reasons why you cannot cycle on your own well out side 2kms from your home but it's now the law.
    Suck it up and just obey the regulations.
    In the scheme of things its not for very long.
    It's sh!t but we have to make the best of it.

This is a thread about how Irish cyclists can do social distancing.
    On small country roads, I can do it well at 9.30am.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

MOD note: of topic posts deleted. This is a thread specially about the Coronavirus affect on CYCLING.

Any further off topic posts will receive warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Okay ... new government directive is exercise within 2kms of your home.
    But it's not the law .... just advice.

The key here is 'brief exercise'. If you go further than a 2km radius, its not brief, and the liklehood of contact increases the longer you are out.

Why is it that in a Publc Health Crisis, where measures are introduced aimed to reduce the spread of a virus, and ultimately save lives, peoples first reaction is how can i continue to do what i want and thus not abide by the measure?

The very principle of these rsstrictive measures is selflessness, forgoing things and freedoms in your own life, so that others may benefit from your sacrifice.

Its infuriating to believe people still dont get what is a very simple concept, explained in simple language. Some peoole need to cop on, and i am being polite here. Health and the freedom to enjoy it before fitness anytime.

In the event you had an accident, stretched resources are further stretched. Yeah, I know, you wont have an accident either but.... . You sound like a Healy Rae, looking for personal blood alcohol limits based on distance from the pub. People like you are a contributing factor to this further restriction, which is now law.

Please dont come on Boards seeking information on how to break the law.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Erm, motorways for an easy example.
    It's not just about who you infect but also about how an accident that you somehow are involved in can affect the emergency services and medical system.
    Get over yourself! Some people are putting their lives on the line to make the system work. You're being asked to make a very small sacrifice to help out. Stop being so selfish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

That’s the spirit health care workers are dying at work and we can’t get you to stay off your bike I bet your mum is so proud 👏👏

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement