Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cycle shops now included in the list of businesses who can only operate on an emergency call out/delivery basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Like 95% of other people I want to do my bit

As someone pointed out, peer pressure will in most cases dictate what happens anyway. I wouldn't be able to enjoy a spin up the mountains or out the country if I knew every car going by was thinking "look at that prick cycling"

However, I live near Dublin City Centre in an area of high population density. I have been taking the kids to various forests around Dublin and the surrounding counties. Yesterday we were in Donadee and while there were a good few people there we didn't come near anyone.

If we are forced instead to get our exercise within a 2 km radius we will be MUCH more likely to have close contact with others. There just isn't room in the city. Many people also do not have a garden.

Also for the record I don't understand this measure to be in any way specific to cycling. Cyclists or cycling has not been mentioned at all. So while if you're off the bike there is a lesser risk of hospitalisation I don't understand that to be the reasoning? Unless the general reasoning is if you restrict people to 2km or less they are less likely to end up in hospital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It didn't specifically mention cycling because it'd be ludicrous to start listing exemptions for specific leisure activities. They're trying to prevent scenes that are happening in northern Italy from happening here, I suspect they're too busy - and unconcerned - with trying to be nuanced about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The problem is that they have to have a blanket restriction

There are too many idiots out there

I could probably go out for a cycle along the canal and nobody would notice and I wouldn't see any gardai.
    However it's important we all try our best to follow guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I'm going to get so good at trackstands, wheelies and manuals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sure you can go to the shop on your bike to get groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It didn't specifically mention cycling because it'd be ludicrous to start listing exemptions for specific leisure activities. They're trying to prevent scenes that are happening in northern Italy from happening here, I suspect they're too busy - and unconcerned - with trying to be nuanced about this.

You can exercise within 2km of your home. That's what was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

He did say radius right? This might be useful https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

I can work a nice 8km loop with pretty decent hill within a 2 km radius of me. 10 sets of traffic lights tough. Might save a copy to my phone just in case :p

Technically I'm within 2km of a climb 1km long at average 9% gradient. It's also accessible without having to go outside a 2km radius boundary.

Not that I'll be bothered though because descending it in the current climate is really tempting fate and an accident waiting to happen.

Think of this as a chance to get to know your neighbourhood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm pretty sure wife swapping would be frowned upon in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

They shouldn’t have allowed the 2km thing at all because now people are obsessing over it.

The intention as explained is to keep people and the virus within homes so that there is zero community transfer and the bloody thing dissappears quickly within a relatively short space of time.

Blanket restrictions for everyone to keep things simple.

Judging by some attitudes it won’t be long before there is a total lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

So what happens if you work in a hospital or even in tesco and you normally commute by bike 10km to work ?
    With the reduced traffic on the roads I would have thought cycling would be OK if it's your only means of travelling to work.
    If you can't cycle then why are bike repair shops allowed to stay open :confused: or is that assumption wrong

the 2km limit applies specifically to brief exercise, not to commuting.

mamax wrote: »
    ...If you can't cycle then why are bike repair shops allowed to stay open :confused: or is that assumption wrong
    Because cycling is a mode of transport for many people - not a leisure activity. Bicycle shops can only operate for emergency repairs (although I don't see that being in any way viable. I'd imagine most will just close).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Because cycling is a mode of transport for many people - not a leisure activity. Bicycle shops can only operate for emergency repairs (although I don't see that being in any way viable. I'd imagine most will just close).

Call out service, with people arriving at your home in Haz Mat suits to perform essential bike repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2km radius gives me a ballpark 6km loop or thereabouts. This will help with a family walk (3) or a short timeframe on the bike to de stress from work pressures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

dahat wrote: »
    2km radius gives me a ballpark 6km loop or thereabouts. This will help with a family walk (3) or a short timeframe on the bike to de stress from work pressures.
    Actually 16.56637kms.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/circumference

Starts the stopwatch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the 2km limit applies specifically to brief exercise, not to commuting.

are you sure :confused:

so you can only walk/run/cycle to 2km from your home...but you can drive as far as you like??

fryup wrote: »
    are you sure :confused:

so you can only walk/run/cycle to 2km from your home...but you can drive as far as you like??
    If you are an essential employee who can't work from home, you can walk, cycle, drive, bus. train as far as you have to go.

• Advertisement

so basically i have to valid reason to go beyond the 2k perimeter > whether it be walking cycling driving etc

so basically i have to valid reason to go beyond the 2k perimeter
    Yes.

Gardai seem to be taking the sensible approach. This morning's checkpoints that I'm aware of have been about 3kms out of towns in North county Dublin. They were asking for proof of the need to travel. Much easier I suppose that stopping random people within towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Went for a walk in the phoenix park this morning around 8am, Garda checkpoints on every entrance... a few cyclists about, walked far enough to notice very few were doing loops I'd be interested to know if this was because they were told to stop. Some patrols driving around in marked and unmarked cars stopping the odd person. I'd suggest not even bothering to try at this stage.

Plastik wrote: »

"This map" it says, but I can't see any map or link to map?

We're not doing the exercise bit the French way. There, everyone gets a document for the day and when you go out for the hour you're allowed for shopping and exercise, you write the date and time on it (or it may come with the date already on, but not the time, I'm not sure) and you carry the document and ID so if the cops stop you, you can prove who you are and that you're on your allowed hour.

seriously... how are the guards suppose to police this? unless they know where you live...they're hardy going to take out a measuring tape, they'll be lots chancing their arm

what'd you reckon ...will the government call a total lockdown no one to leave their homes no matter what ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

seriously... how are the guards suppose to police this? unless they know where you live...they're hardy going to take out a measuring tape

what'd you reckon ...will the government call a total lockdown no to leave their homes no matter what ??

If people fail to obey the current restrictions they'll have to accept their place in driving the pandemic and its deaths in this country. .
    But if we take responsibility for our actions and realise that we, and we alone are responsible for the spread of this virus and act accordingly then they won't have to.
    But it's selfish, inconsiderate, ignorant bastards out flouting regulations to save lives that will cause further restrictions.
    It's not too much to ask. It's two weeks of this and a month or two of other restrictions.
    It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    People's lives are more important than cycling. 2k radius of your house for 2 weeks is no hardship, and I say that as someone who can't train indoors and lives in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »

That's really good.

Gives me a legal hill interval up Stocking Lane with three good ramps on it almost as far as the Hellfire carpark....

although the Hellfire has become the new Dundrum Town Centre except with free on-street parking. :rolleyes:

Ah, it's working for me now. I probably automatically clicked the feckoff button the first time when it asked to use my location.
    How will the Gardaí police this? Shouldn't be too hard. Anyone who's jogging or cycling can surely be asked for ID and their address checked. Anyone training in the mountains would certainly be liable to be stopped.
    But of course one's training is more important than preventing thousands of painful deaths and the wreckage of the country. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Really undecided now after reading the last few pages whether to go for a quick cycle on mostly rural roads.
    Just got the bike serviced yesterday.

• Advertisement

seriously... how are the guards suppose to police this? unless they know where you live...they're hardy going to take out a measuring tape, they'll be lots chancing their arm...
    No need for measuring tapes. If you are 5k from your home, you need to give a reason why. They are not going to get into specific about whether someone is 1.9 or 2.1k from home. Their presence or percieved presence is enough to deter most people as will be peer pressure.

Mrs WA was stopped twice today already and asked for ID and reason for travel (she had valid reasons).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement