Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i could probably take a rough guess as to where a hell of a lot of that PPE is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

i could probably take a rough guess as to where a hell of a lot of that PPE is made.

Yep & everyone is buying up stocks last few weeks. The impact will be felt for 2/3 years as all the Chinese stock piles are empty, add in the slow boat when manufacturing starts it isn't a good outlook.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Yep & everyone is buying up stocks last few weeks. The impact will be felt for 2/3 years as all the Chinese stock piles are empty, add in the slow boat when manufacturing starts it isn't a good outlook.

I imagine you will see the likes of the stripped out passenger planes they have developing for cargo will fill the interim. Everything from there will rocket in price but not hugely. to fill the interim gap. It will eiter buffer out the next crash so it will start earlier but not be anywhere near as bad as the last one or the majority of us will be economically f*****.

I am of course talking out of my arse but depending on control measures and vaccine development (remember, it may not be possible, effective etc. so they may end up with medication to treat the symptoms rather than a vaccine). I have seen some of the stripped out planes they are developing for cargo, different cost, profile and fuel efficiency to the current style used by couriers. Could be a very effective interim measure. Costs will multiply for everything from that region, specifically based on weight and size, rather than on ease of production and demand which will be odd.

On a more important note, will the Dublin Wheelers open race go ahead next week?

CramCycle wrote: »
    I imagine you will see the likes of the stripped out passenger planes they have developing for cargo will fill the interim. Everything from there will rocket in price but not hugely. to fill the interim gap. It will eiter buffer out the next crash so it will start earlier but not be anywhere near as bad as the last one or the majority of us will be economically f*****.

I am of course talking out of my arse but depending on control measures and vaccine development (remember, it may not be possible, effective etc. so they may end up with medication to treat the symptoms rather than a vaccine). I have seen some of the stripped out planes they are developing for cargo, different cost, profile and fuel efficiency to the current style used by couriers. Could be a very effective interim measure. Costs will multiply for everything from that region, specifically based on weight and size, rather than on ease of production and demand which will be odd.

On a more important note, will the Dublin Wheelers open race go ahead next week?

Yes, you can definitely see costs increasing especially with the expected production ramps once China sees a drop off in infections.

Are multi Nationals in Ireland willing to absorb the cost of airfreights from China? Who gets them first? Many questions to be asked with very few answers at the minute.

Will they supply face masks with race numbers on them?

• Advertisement

Will they supply face masks with race numbers on them?

I eagerly await this as a race tactic, have a face cover and cough repeatedly. Like the guy who turned upto an A4 race last year with a 2 foot long pump hanging out of his jersey pocket and then TT'd to victory. Genius.

Yes, you can definitely see costs increasing especially with the expected production ramps once China sees a drop off in infections.

Are multi Nationals in Ireland willing to absorb the cost of airfreights from China? Who gets them first? Many questions to be asked with very few answers at the minute.

They won't absorb the cost, the client will. Either it can be done cheaper in Europe or we absorb the cost in our pocket. At that point people either decide they don't want those items or they do. It also depends on how long it goes on, if it is a short term loss, they may take the hit but buy in less than demand asks for to insure that they are not left with overpriced stock when things return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Massive amount of car traffic backed up on the quays this morning. I was wondering whether it was due to lack of parking in the Phoenix Park with the visit of some royals, then I got to thinking that it's possibly a load of people who've stopped taking public transport due to fears of infection.

I know of one lad who's been driving in from Kildare for the last few weeks where he would've got the train before, because he has a newborn at home and is paranoid about infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

The fear, paranoia and lack or rational thinking around Covid-19 is far more dangerous than the thing itself. Have a read of

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/haas-im-calm-but-uae-coronavirus-quarantine-is-leading-to-pandemonium/

and

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-latest-cofidis-sports-director-damiani-expresses-frustration-at-continued-uae-hotel-lockdown/

My fear in going anywhere would not the thing itself but the potential for huge delays travelling and room arrest

Very much so, alot of DB buses are way down on my commute. Normally bus stops would be overflowing and buses not fit to take more but hasn't been that way for the last few days. Car traffic has also increased as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ive always been a fair weather commuter cyclist as I have a good Dart and commuter train connection , average during the winter might be cycle 3 times and train 2 per week. From this week im going to aim for 100% cycling (25km per day).

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very much so, alot of DB buses are way down on my commute. Normally bus stops would be overflowing and buses not fit to take more but hasn't been that way for the last few days. Car traffic has also increased as well.

Was that just today because the 8000 staff in Google were told to WFH?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A friend's employer told all staff not to take public transport until further notice.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was that just today because the 8000 staff in Google were told to WFH?

Since last week. Friday was the first obvious day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The fear, paranoia and lack or rational thinking around Covid-19 is far more dangerous than the thing itself.

So true...

The Corona Virus thread is a testament to that...

Quote: lainey_d_123
    I mean, not really. Anyone who uses public transport is going to be sitting very close to other people for over 15 minutes. They say you need to be 6 feet away from an infected person to be safe. There must have been at least 12 other people within 6 feet of me on the bus this morning. Also had a medical appointment, stuck in a crowded waiting room with people coughing and spluttering, well within 6 feet of me.

Reply:

WTF... .there is ONE, ONE confirmed case, who do you think you're catching it off if you travel today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see very little hysteria; the above post is just one from boards, the vast majority of people i've talked to are being sensible enough.

and yes, some people are afraid, as well they might be - everyone i know who is afraid is not afraid for themselves, but for friends or relatives who might have lung issues, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ERz-b84X0AA2LHp?format=jpg&name=medium

When the Spanish Flu hit Dublin in 1918 bicycle sales went through the roof, as people feared public transport. "Very few of the people who've had influenza are regular cyclists."

Me to lady in chemist: “What gets rid of coronavirus?”
    Lady: "Ammonia cleaner."
    Me: "Oh sorry, I thought you were the pharmacist.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ERz-b84X0AA2LHp?format=jpg&name=medium

When the Spanish Flu hit Dublin in 1918 bicycle sales went through the roof, as people feared public transport. "Very few of the people who've had influenza are regular cyclists."

John Snow (channel 4, not King of the North) is in self isolation. He's allowed out daily to go for a cycle.

Ergo, cycling is the way to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Was buying parts at the weekend from the German shops and had to go through 4 of them to find stock of a brake caliper, most saying not in stock for a few weeks. I'd imagine stocks will start to get harder to find as factories in the east stay closed for another while.

• Advertisement

According to Cyclingnews Mitchelton-Scott have pulled their mens and womens teams from all races until March 22nd at least and Jumbo Visma have withdrawn from the Italian races.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/MitcheltonSCOTT/status/1235224941391425538

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

According to Cyclingnews Mitchelton-Scott have pulled their mens and womens teams from all races until March 22nd at least and Jumbo Visma have withdrawn from the Italian races.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/MitcheltonSCOTT/status/1235224941391425538

2 or 3 more teams pull out and they might aswell just scrap the races

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It looks like the government have taken the decision away from the race organisers by issuing a decree banning all sporting events with public audiences until 3rd April
    "The decree will stop the running of the men's and women's Strade Bianche, GP Larciano [Industria & Artigianato], the 1.2 race Popolarissima, Tirreno-Adriatico, Milan-San Remo, the elite and junior races at the Women's WorldTour Trofeo Alfredo Binda, the Settimana Coppi e Bartali, and the Tour of Sicily.".

:(

The last time M-SR didnt run was World War II.......before that was World War I

don't forget italy has the second oldest population in the world, simply attending in WWI or II would not necessarily have caused a public health issue, but it might now.

Between this and Nico Portal Ineos are suspending racing aswell now

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1235323416309309440?s=19

Just saw that, 3 of the big GC teams out of Paris-Nice now. I'd say we'll see a statement from the ASO later today about it.

Just saw that, 3 of the big GC teams out of Paris-Nice now. I'd say we'll see a statement from the ASO later today about it.

I hear they are opening it up to A3s :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Ya but you are only allowed 2 A3s on a team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

If we can keep a lid on it here the Rás will get world tour status :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

This discussion has been closed.