Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looking at strava this morning, there are quite a few people up and down stocking/cruagh/glencullen and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Mc Love wrote: »
    Really undecided now after reading the last few pages whether to go for a quick cycle on mostly rural roads.
    Just got the bike serviced yesterday.

I'm mad to go for a cycle with the great weather but I'm going to give it a miss for the next few weeks after last nights advise/rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

fryup wrote: »
    seriously... how are the guards suppose to police this? unless they know where you live...they're hardy going to take out a measuring tape, they'll be lots chancing their arm

what'd you reckon ...will the government call a total lockdown no one to leave their homes no matter what ??

Its supoosed to be self policing. Why is there so much discussion on a simple measure:
    Stay indoors
    Pernitted to shop for food, essential items
    Brief exercise within 2km radius of your home.

The key word on exercise is brief. If you go further than 2km, it will conflict with the brief stipulation.

I am as happy as anyone about this, but I would rather do this to save others from loosing loved ones. Talk of how do I go out cycling is irrelevant when the stakes are so high. The fact its being discussed as an option (chancing their arm) by some shows that people are only interested in themselves, not public health warnings or messages.
    An Irish solution to a global pandemic. Sure, I'll be grand, that does not apply to me. Somethings never change. Sad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

retalivity wrote: »
    Looking at strava this morning, there are quite a few people up and down stocking/cruagh/glencullen and beyond
    Would be quite amusing if people started carpet bombing their activities with feedback in the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If the Gardai were heavy handed with people, asking them where they live, etc people would accuse the Govt of nanny state, infringing on civil liberties, etc.
    It is not too much to expect people to not need to be treated like this, but it is also not too much to expect people to behave responsibly, and help to stop the spread of this virus as we are all directed to do.
    Cyclists get a hard time on this board, but anyone who can't adhere to the 2km restriction is a tool. Same applies for runners, etc. For once people, do what you are asked to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've recently got back on my road bike after a longish haitus off it, and I've very happily been doing a local half hour loop with a new road that recently opened up near me.

I checked on Google Maps and the furthest part of the loop is about 1.88km from my house, so I guess I'm good to carry on with that.

However, I'm going to amend the route so I'll no longer cut through the local park when there's till quite a lot of people walking. Instead I'll take the road around it where nobody walks (and which is still well with 2km)

I'm also conciously taking it much handier now speedwise, because more than ever I really don't want to come off and damage myself. Fortunately the loop I'm doing has some light hills built into it so there's plenty of chance to exert myself to get in the level of exercise I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

W@nkers. Plain and simple.
    Wtf is wrong with people that they get uppity about a temporary measure meant to save lives?You're being told to stay the fck inside so stay the fck inside. Id much rather be bored and fat than dead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I just been doing a video call with my son, who lives in Beijing.
    He says things are getting carefully back to normal there. He has been working from home since the Spring festival. He's back at work this past week. His wife is out with a friend for a meal.
    There's light at the end of the tunnel folk.

A few days ago, I passed a primary school. Before being closed, some of the pupils had painted a poster, which was hanging outside the school.
    The poster said

Stay safe and be kind to each other.

Maybe there's a message there for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Daroxtar wrote: »
    W@nkers. Plain and simple.
    Wtf is wrong with people that they get uppity about a temporary measure meant to save lives?You're being told to stay the fck inside so stay the fck inside. Id much rather be bored and fat than dead

After weeks of watching the news I took a break last night and only by pot luck seen it late at night so please give people a benefit of doubt today. I'm trying to keep up on the news but also trying to avoid it some nights as its a little depressing.

I would hope anyone out this morning was because they didn't know and after today we won't see this again (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Plastik wrote: »

Save a pdf, email to yourself and you'll have it if questioned by a guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Course there are. Because there are quite a few people living within 2km of stocking lane and cruagh road and glencullen.

Me included. That's the kernel of the contradiction. Solo training cyclisets have been perfecting the art of social distancing for years. - Getting up at the crack of dawn, seeking out the quietest of rural roads, getting away from people and vehicular traffic, minimising the chance of meeting anyone or anything, and arriving home just as the world is waking up. Now, to comply with the rules you'll have a Majorca 312 snot 'n spittle sportive up and down to the viewing point. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tigerboon wrote: »
    Save a pdf, email to yourself and you'll have it if questioned by a guard

no need, no garda is going to be that anal plus it wont prove where you live , its actually more generous than it sounds, 2km as the crow flies can be nearly 3km by road.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Heard of two cars being impounded this morning

I'd expect the same thing to happen to a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Meanwhile, on the Coronavirus forum...
    I plan on going for a 80km cycle over the weekend as it's the first decent stretch of weather in months.
    I hope you get two punctures, a broken chain and piles from the saddle.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fat bloke wrote: »
    Course there are. Because there are quite a few people living within 2km of stocking lane and cruagh road and glencullen.

Me included. That's the kernel of the contradiction. Solo training cyclisets have been perfecting the art of social distancing for years. - Getting up at the crack of dawn, seeking out the quietest of rural roads, getting away from people and vehicular traffic, minimising the chance of meeting anyone or anything, and arriving home just as the world is waking up. Now, to comply with the rules you'll have a Majorca 312 snot 'n spittle sportive up and down to the viewing point. :pac:

Is that allowed? 2 hours of hill repeats

silverharp wrote: »
    no need, no garda is going to be that anal plus it wont prove where you live , its actually more generous than it sounds, 2km as the crow flies can be nearly 3km by road.

You are forgetting about the term brief. I would say 30min is the limit. The Garda will be anal. They can ask you to present evidence of where you live at any station. Why would they let any one wilfully break the a law that is in interests of public health?

You make out that nod and wink policing will get us all through our own version of social distancing / isolation. Way to go, thats the spirit.

Thats what happened in Italy, the Austrian Tirol and other places, until they got anal about staying indoors. If they can do it, we can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    You are forgetting about the term brief. I would say 30min is the limit. The Garda will be anal. They can ask you to present evidence of where you live at any station. Why would they let any one wilfully break the a law that is in interests of public health?

You make out that nod and wink policing will get us all through our own version of social distancing / isolation. Way to go, thats the spirit.

Thats what happened in Italy, the Austrian Tirol and other places, until they got anal about staying indoors. If they can do it, we can do it.

As far as I’m aware the Gardai don’t have any additional powers yet under the Health Act 2020. It’s all advisory stuff until the AG has decided on what regulations to bring in for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The advice being given by the HSE OHD would differ. I had to refer 26 staff to them on Saturday night who had worked extensively with those who had tested positive for Covid-19 and they only expressed concern for one of those 26. I spoke extensively with a senior medic in their dept. and he said that they had no concern about anyone who spent less than 15 consecutive minutes within 1 meter of a positive case. He emphasised the consecutive 15 minutes saying that a staff could spend multiple amounts of 10 minutes with a positive person without concern unless they were actually sneezed on and that would be without PPE.
    Fair play to him, I disagree. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen a medic think they are an expert in an area that they aren't, par for the course when I used to teach them in UCD. He makes the point himself, that person could cough/sneeze, breath heavily, be at the high point of transmission and show no symptoms. The less time you spend, the less likely it is but 15 minutes was a figure that was used when people knew alot less. POC are possible routes of transmission according to the advice given, if they are routes of transmission than the time limit thing means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im not trying to get around anything, no garda is going to waste their time trying to calculate 1.95 v 2.05. I live in Sandymount, that gives me D4 basically. without thinking I'd know Blackrock is too far as is Rathmines, Goatstown, after that im not giving it anymore thought

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fat bloke wrote: »

It's one thing living nearby and doing hill repeats.
    It's another thing battering on in a 30km or 80km loop, regardless if its through (mainly) rural Wicklow or through residential south dublin.

• Advertisement

I have one or two hilly spins within 2km but Im leaning twoards just hopping on the turbo instead. Opinions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

RobbieMD wrote: »
    As far as I’m aware the Gardai don’t have any additional powers yet under the Health Act 2020. It’s all advisory stuff until the AG has decided on what regulations to bring in for them.

That is correct. The Act requires a Ministerial Order to be made in order for specified powers to come into effect. No such order has been made and to be honest I suspect the Government will try avoid making one. They’re hoping people comply voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RobbieMD wrote: »

Simon Harris says the regulations should be signed 'over the course of this weekend'.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-regulations-harris-5060756-Mar2020/

Edit.
    Harris on RTE News now, saying he'll sign regulations tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am changing my work route, at the minute I wil only be needed on Monday and Friday, and to be honest, happy with that, work from home the rest of the time. Its a slightly longer route that I use over the summer but will also be safer than the loo lahs who think the speed limit no longer applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Having spent the last two weekends tidying the garden, today I got to the back of the shed and found the turbo trainer and the skipping rope the OH asked if I knew where it was. The rope survived a house move in 2007, the turbo unused since the snow 2011.

500m cycled and 10 skips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's one thing living nearby and doing hill repeats.
    It's another thing battering on in a 30km or 80km loop, regardless if its through (mainly) rural Wicklow or through residential south dublin.

I hope you phone the local Garda station to report them?

http://cycling.today/french-police-uses-strava-to-fine-cyclists-for-riding-outdoors/

silverharp wrote: »
    im not trying to get around anything, no garda is going to waste their time trying to calculate 1.95 v 2.05. I live in Sandymount, that gives me D4 basically. without thinking I'd know Blackrock is too far as is Rathmines, Goatstown, after that im not giving it anymore thought

You obviously have given it some thought all the same (not just you though).

So what's the thinking of the meaning of brief exercise within the context of the specific stay at home instruction? If you are stopped by a Garda, they will be keen to know how brief the exercise was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So what's the thinking of the meaning of brief exercise within the context of the specific stay at home instruction? If you are stopped by a Garda, they will be keen to know how brief the exercise was.

I'm no legal expert, however I would say the requirement is the same as in France, just without the fines to back it up...
    France’s Ministry of Sport, in a bid to clarify any confusion around the ban on exercise, including cycling, said: “1km, 2km max… There is no question of getting away from your home. The rule is containment for everyone.

“Remember, you should only go out for emergencies like shopping or for your health. A little jogging is possible for your well being, but not a 10km.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If the Gardai were heavy handed with people, asking them where they live, etc people would accuse the Govt of nanny state, infringing on civil liberties, etc.

Only the idiots would.

In relation to how easy it is to be infected, one of the reasons I cycle as my mode of transport is that I'm asthmatic; if I take public transport and someone sneezes or coughs near me I will invariably get an chest infection and be very, very sick. And epidemiologists have repeatedly said that Covid-19 is roughly four times as infectious as a normal cold or flu.

If I catch this coronavirus, it will certainly kill me.

There are many others like me. Is your fun cycle really more important than our lives? Is your right to roam free in the middle of a pandemic really so precious as this?

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'm no legal expert, however I would say the requirement is the same as in France, just without the fines to back it up...

Not am I, but I understood the measure to allow brief exeecise, close to home. Talk of long cycles, 6km loops repeated dont align with that. Its now being interpreted to mean whatever fits with individuals opinion. I dont see an alternative definition on what was said.
    Maybe it will take fines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement