Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a148pro wrote: »
    I will just miss the opportunity to safely go and enjoy the outdoors, either alone or with the kids
    i give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I haven't been to the pub for ages and I miss it but I managed to have a drink in the house.

I feel like some bollox now. I rode to Tesco and back earlier and went the long way 3km vs 1.5km :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

or
    or
    or
    or

you could just choose not to cycle for a whole two weeks. it's a mindblowing concept, yeah?

I can't believe this, makes me sad that people are still arguing over a feckin cycle when people are dying out there.

Me I take to a short run tomorrow, outdoors cycling on hold for the 2 weeks and longer if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Again, I'm sorry but none of your points are arguments for not going cycling

I will bite too...

The instruction is not 'do not cycle' . Give you that one.
    However, in quite simple language that many Irish people had great difficulty understanding, it was/is:
    Stay inside
    Allowed to go out for the following:
    Shop for food (no mention of a 2km limit, yet people heard 2km) collect medicine, go to essential medical apt
    Brief exercise outdoors, within a 2Km radius of your home (note brief, to align with primary instruction to stay inside)

Now what is your point in the above vis a vis cycling? Its a Public Health Notice, not road safety announcement or other.

By the way, you dont come across as anything other than selfish and extremely argumentative just for the sake of it.

I wonder are you so brave and stubborn in real life? If you are, you are going to be asked to explain to a Garda why you are wilfully ignorig a simple and very important Publc Health measure put into force to prevent community transmission of a deadly virus. The situation is deadly serious, but i think you know that, but you believe your freedom to do as you please is more important. You dont know right now if you have this virus, and younmay have it and not know. That's a pretty important point when it comes to the spread of it.

You were asked by An Taoiseach, with a heavy heart, to forgo your freedoms, so others may live. But cycling remains your primary concern. Way to go, you sound like a wonderful person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I can't believe this, makes me sad that people are still arguing over a feckin cycle when people are dying out there.

Me I take to a short run tomorrow, outdoors cycling on hold for the 2 weeks and longer if needed.

The old saying "there's always 1" was never more apt, was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I don't know Billy, do you need me to spell it out for you again? Me, cycling, on my own, will have no effect whatsoever on saving other people's lives or healthcare workers.

Neither I nor my kids have seen another soul within two meters, or, excepting work obligations, at all, since the Friday before Patrick's day. I have no problem with complying with regulations, and for the record, also intend complying with these regulations unless legitimate exercise within 2kms of my house becomes overcrowded and dangerous in which case I most likely will break the rules, drive somewhere totally deserted and bring the kids for a walk or cycle.

If you chose to live in a busy urban area suck it up and stay at home. You get many advantages from living in an urban area that people in rural areas don't have. There was bound to be disadvantages too. This is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I think this is the problem, I'm being made to pay for the irresponsibility of others!

For the record I haven't been on the (road) bike in ages. I will just miss the opportunity to safely go and enjoy the outdoors, either alone or with the kids

It's only to be expected that such discussions are becoming intemperate at a time like this I suppose.

But the point as I see it is this. The Govt needs to stop people travelling and congregating in large numbers as they were last weekend, as this definitely spreads infection. Hence the 2km rule. It is not possible to make an exception for cycling as then people would demand that other exceptions be made.
    If you choose to break the rules you are probably not going to spread infection and the likelihood of an accident requiring hospitalization are fairly low.

But what you are also doing is showing other people that they can break the rules and do whatever they want. And this if widespread would certainly lead to more infection and greater loss of life.

So just give the bike a break for two weeks and lets hope the restrictions can be loosened then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have to admit, i'm lucky. i live in a suburban house with quite a large garden (by suburban standards), and i enjoy gardening; and i've got a shed with a lathe i can do woodturning in. i feel sorry for anyone stuck in an apartment, especially when they might be in a situation where they don't get on well with others living in that apartment (and i'm speaking euphemistically there).

also with apartments, you've got the issue with communal areas/door handles/lift controls that house dwellers don't have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

So, we all know we can cycle outdoors for exercise purposes within 2km of home. That is very clear.

Definitely I believe we should all do this.

So, now we need to define "brief" exercise as it applies to cycling.

I'm saying <1 hr, how about the rest of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I don't know Billy, do you need me to spell it out for you again? Me, cycling, on my own, will have no effect whatsoever on saving other people's lives or healthcare workers.

I agree with your risk assessment.

That's not the point though. The point is that *everyone* should respect the directives for the *overall* good. I am sure that there are kayakers, sailors, fishermen etc etc making the same valid points as you in terms of the risk profile of their chosen leisure pursuit - but it's irrelevant in the overall context of what we as a society have been asked to do.

Just see it as a setting a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I will bite too...

By the way, you dont come across as anything other than selfish and extremely argumentative just for the sake of it.

I wonder are you so brave and stubborn in real life?

Way to go, you sound like a wonderful person.

Actually Kaisr I just expressed an opinion, and got shouted at rather a lot. And while you make a good point you chose to couch it in totally unnecessary and personalized invective. You actually know nothing about me, its not right to attack me like that because of an opinion I expressed.

You have confirmed that I am allowed to go for short exercise within 2k of my house. My point is that, in my view, having actually gone out in the area that I live in over the last while with kids in tow, me cycling on my own or driving to a quiet area further afield is less of a risk to others than me engaging in short exercise within 2km of the urban area I live in.

To be honest I've yet to be disabused of that. Some people have in effect agreed with me but pointed out that that isn't really the point, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

or
    or
    or
    or

you could just choose not to cycle for a whole two weeks. it's a mindblowing concept, yeah?

Don't seriously expect this to be lifted in 2 weeks, they have to do these by 2 week increments , reality would be too much to dish out in one go?, old adage how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. I also think that the mental health aspect of cycling should be considered, some people really need it.

2016 wrote: »

So, now we need to define "brief" exercise as it applies to cycling.

I'm saying <1 hr, how about the rest of you?

I think really they mean go for a ten - 15 minute walk to clear the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

On reflection I won't be doing multiple 6km loops. I'll cycle to work which is 8mins away so that will be my headspace.

I've spent months doing hard work in the turbo so a little longer won't be any harm. It's the least I can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

I saw one spin of a 100 + km,on strava today, i know for a fact that the guy is a paramedic doing long hours on the frontline, dont know him personally, but i don't begrudge him at all, most likely did him a world of good and set him up for his next shift.

LennoxR wrote: »
    It's only to be expected that such discussions are becoming intemperate at a time like this I suppose.

But the point as I see it is this. The Govt needs to stop people travelling and congregating in large numbers as they were last weekend, as this definitely spreads infection. Hence the 2km rule.

Agreed on all points, save that, in my case at least, requiring the population of my area to limit their exercise, should they choose to do it (wording changed to reflect MBs point!) to 2k from the house will lead to more people bunching up in a tight space

Edit: although in fairness, the intent was that people just stay inside altogether and that will lead to lesser numbers

secman wrote: »
    Don't seriously expect this to be lifted in 2 weeks, they have to do these by 2 week increments , reality would be too much to dish out in one go?, old adage how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. I also think that the mental health aspect of cycling should be considered, some people really need it.

Sadly you are probably right about that. It may last months. I do hope they find ways to loosen the restrictions somewhat though, without jeopardising the public health situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

OK so lets ask the govt to make an exception for cycling. People need it.
    But then some people need to go out on their motorbike, its good for them.
    And then people love to walk on the beach, its good for their mental health.
    And then people need to go to Dundrum, the dopamine is good for their mental health.

I dunno, maybe try something like a short 2km walk, that might just keep their mental health in check for that minor inconvenience, while doctors and nurses battle to save lives, including potentially their own or those of their colleagues and family, no? Is that too much to ask, to maybe think about others beyond your own little bubble for once?

secman wrote: »

i can't disagree with anything you say there, there's a damn good chance this will go on longer than the two weeks. as regards the mental health benefits of cycling - true. but there is a laundry list of things people are being asked to do in many, many other spheres which also would fall into the same category, and on a greater scale than asking cyclists to hang up their cleats.
    my parents are not unusual in that they're being asked specifically to not leave the house at all, because of their age. they're managing it, and my mother laughs about the fact that she's never spent as much time on the phone as she has in the last few weeks. i haven't been in physical contact with my parents in well over a month (i'd travelled, to a low risk area, a month ago, but steered clear of them as a precaution, and my mother is a huggy person)

so yes, there is a benefit to cycling, both mental and physical. but that's outweighed by the greater benefit of society just staying put with the hope that the existing infections will fizzle out and not create new infections.

• Advertisement

OK so lets ask the govt to make an exception for cycling. People need it.
    But then some people need to go out on their motorbike, its good for them.
    And then people love to walk on the beach, its good for their mental health.
    And then people need to go to Dundrum, the dopamine is good for their mental health.

I dunno, maybe try something like a short 2km walk, that might just keep their mental health in check for that minor inconvenience, while doctors and nurses battle to save lives, including potentially their own or those of their colleagues and family, no? Is that too much to ask, to maybe think about others beyond your own little bubble for once?

Listen I think we're all agreed about that at this stage. There's no need to keep banging people over the head about it.

It's not wrong to hope that at some stage the restrictions can be loosened, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I dug the garden for 2 hours today instead of a cycle.

Feckin good workout

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Those of you who can get out and exercise within 2 km of your abode, count your blessings.

Being over 70 I'm restricted to the house and garden for the next two weeks.

So it looks like 'step ups' and 'dumbbells' for the next fortnight. I'm happy enough though to comply with the HSE instructions even though it's a pain in the ass not being able to leave the house.

It's all for the greater good and we can all help to flatten the curve.

I dug the garden for 2 hours today instead of a cycle.

Feckin good workout
    ditto, but it was bending over while sieving soil and compost which i suspect i'll be paying for in the morning. as well as the beers tonight.

railer201 wrote: »
    Those of you who can get out and exercise within 2 km of your abode, count your blessings.

Being over 70 I'm restricted to the house and garden for the next two weeks.

So it looks like 'step ups' and 'dumbbells' for the next fortnight. I'm happy enough though to comply with the HSE instructions even though it's a pain in the ass not being able to leave the house.

It's all for the greater good and we can all help to flatten the curve.

You guys get to 'Cocoon' which sounds great when you tell that to a child. I explained it to my two girls that nanny and grandad were wrapping up in blankets, fast forward to the video call this evening "Dad, nanny isn't wearing her blanket!!!"

i can't disagree with anything you say there, there's a damn good chance this will go on longer than the two weeks.

Interestingly Harris was quite clear on the record that this couldn't last more than two weeks, as he felt it was too much to ask of people. He seems a very level headed guy, has been outstanding in this thing so can't see him flying a kite for the fun of it. Suspect the numbers will determine things though. Its all about ICU beds at the moment.

As an aside can you imagine the head**** these guys have been through in recent past. All the FG lads were basically retiring, all the civil servants must have been like, well they're gone, SF on the cusp of a legitimate claim to power. Then this happens and suddenly the retiring politicians have gone to playing probably the most important political role in the last century, excepting maybe the banking crash, and SF are no where to be seen. Strange turn of events!

Interestingly Harris was quite clear on the record that this couldn't last more than two weeks
    i suspect any dialling back may follow the form of the dialling in, so to speak - restrictions will not be lifted all at once, but gradually, a reverse of the way they were introduced.
    the big issue is that if we do get through the hump and the numbers start to die back - anyone who is at risk is still at much risk as they were at the start; the main benefit being that hopefully there may be more progress made on medical treatments for this, and that a certan percentage of the population will have been exposed and will have immunity. the best case scenario on this may be a slow burn lasting months. but those months may buy crucial time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Actually Kaisr I just expressed an opinion, and got shouted at rather a lot. And while you make a good point you chose to couch it in totally unnecessary and personalized invective. You actually know nothing about me, its not right to attack me like that because of an opinion I expressed.

You have confirmed that I am allowed to go for short exercise within 2k of my house. My point is that, in my view, having actually gone out in the area that I live in over the last while with kids in tow, me cycling on my own or driving to a quiet area further afield is less of a risk to others than me engaging in short exercise within 2km of the urban area I live in.

To be honest I've yet to be disabused of that. Some people have in effect agreed with me but pointed out that that isn't really the point, which is fair enough.

As I said, you come across as very argumentative for no reason. The point you made is flying in the face of self-responsibility during a crisis. So, I am judging you by that, and nothing else.

I am as dissapointed as you are about this but abiding by it as it would be selfish of me not to. Hence, i deem you selfish by that same standard. If thats hard, so what. Thats my opinion based on what you wrote here.

One thing intrigues me though. You and I share a passion for skiing and the mountains. As you know, St Anton where I also go a lot, has implemented extreme measures (4 week quarantine) for the same reason as here, yet you post in Winter Sports:

QUOTE=a148pro;112891032]
    Let's all focus on reducing the carnage here first though[/QUOTE]

That post and your desire to go cycling amid the carnage (your term) here is difficulf to align with your argument. In Austria, you would not be allowed to Ski Tour or cycle (severe fines for doing so) but here you say we just ignore the carnage and go cycling?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There's a 6kms figure of eight loop I can do within the 2kms but its about as interesting as the bleedin turbo.
    I can cycle 40kms round trip to work and back during the week which seems daft but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    There's a 6kms figure of eight loop I can do within the 2kms but its about as interesting as the bleedin turbo.
    I can cycle 40kms round trip to work and back during the week which seems daft but there you go.

Just wear your stethoscope as a form of quick ID in case you're stopped

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement