Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

a148pro wrote: »
    Nothing you have said is a rationale for stopping people cycling while observing social distancing
    It's the possibilities, they maybe rare. We are in a time when other social outlets are gone, traffic has decreased and road traffic speed has increased for motor vehicles. We can argue the piss about them being in the wrong but the truth of the matter is that the whole point is to reduce any potential strain in the short term on the health service.
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    I came off last May doing about 45km/h on a slight downhill. At first I though I was OK to continue but then realised my shoulder was busted and had to go to hospital. By the time I got there my breathing wasn't right and I discovered I had a punctured lung. I had to have a chest drain put in and was on oxygen for 3 days.
    What's my chances of getting oxygen now, let alone in a weeks time and if I absolutely need it who am I taking it from? Wouldn't I be some b0llox to put myself or others in that situation now considering everything else that's going on?
    But ya, go on out and cycle all day long if you want because you're so important and don't want to bow down to The Man.
    And this is the example, on a normal day they have the capacity built in for this, they build in buffer for family fights at christmas, gym injuries in January, and so on. despite all the negativity about the health service, on any given day they can just about deal with the unexpected. Not well (no fault of their own) but well enought hat society doesn't fall apart. There are no normal days in the months ahead.
    To be honest I was wondering if the 2k thing is really the govt saying if we just stop people travelling we'll stop them having road traffic accidents and save, say for example, 7 ICU beds per day, then save 7 very ill corona patients. Is there any confirmation that this is the rationale? My dilemma on this is the same as you've articulated thereafter
    It could be, possibly it is a measurement based on contact tracing that 5 km is the risk zone, if everyone is under 2.5 km, it will cause cases to be concentrated. It could be that recommendations are that walking is an exercise that everyone can do, it gives an out let and 2km out and 2km back gives most people a decent walk and outlet. There are alot of potential reasons, I don't know what they are and guess what, neither do you. I will ask the epidemiologist at work on Monday if he has an idea. It clearly isnt useful everywhere but you know what, there are some people who need a guideline. This is one guideline for everyone. My one key bit of knowledge from years in H&S is that the simpler and easier you make a rule to follow, the more likely it is too be followed. 2km is a distance many, surprising as it may be, won't actually be able to gauge but they will know what is way over it and it is something that given a % error, can easily be followed.
    I don't know Billy, do you need me to spell it out for you again? Me, cycling, on my own, will have no effect whatsoever on saving other people's lives or healthcare workers.
    If you crash, your taking one ambulance of the frontlines for X amount of time. your taking PPE, frontline staff time, a bed etc. They will look after you, take care of you, and get you out the door but if the world was fair, after being told what your told, they really shouldn't.
    Neither I nor my kids have seen another soul within two meters, or, excepting work obligations, at all, since the Friday before Patrick's day. I have no problem with complying with regulations, and for the record, also intend complying with these regulations unless legitimate exercise within 2kms of my house becomes overcrowded and dangerous in which case I most likely will break the rules, drive somewhere totally deserted and bring the kids for a walk or cycle.
    Or just stay at f*cking home, do what my daughter and boyfrend are doing, f*cking couples Yoga.. It is awful that I have to endure the two of them together in my house. In fact, for the first time since he arrived on the scene, I may feel sorry for him more than her. I have been doing the most inane chase games with my son for days. If exercise is your concern, there are rare times when you cannot do it without leaving the house. Just grow up, what if you crash on the way in the car, what if you have a blow out, what if you have a flat and your spare goes flat. Just be a better person and stay at home.
    I think this is the problem, I'm being made to pay for the irresponsibility of others!

For the record I haven't been on the (road) bike in ages. I will just miss the opportunity to safely go and enjoy the outdoors, either alone or with the kids
    Boo f*cking hoo, I am being made pay for the responsibility of others as well, we all are. You know what I am not doing, crying about it. I have friends and family who are truly struggling mentally, it is going to be tough, thankfully we are in atime where we can talk to each other but as much as I hate hose irresponsible pr1cks, the damage is done. Get over it, ignore their businesses and socially isolate from them when we are done, but for now, just get on with it.
    secman wrote: »
    Don't seriously expect this to be lifted in 2 weeks, they have to do these by 2 week increments , reality would be too much to dish out in one go?, old adage how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. I also think that the mental health aspect of cycling should be considered, some people really need it.
    Not a hope it is lifted in two weeks but if they expand it by one week then, or two, it will be more palatable. If it all goes well, certain restrictions will be lifted. I say this with all seriousness. If we are lucky, restrictions will start to ease in late June, with a slow return to normality in September but that isn't even close to what is going to happen. IMO September if we are lucky.
    I think really they mean go for a ten - 15 minute walk to clear the head.
    Yes, thats exactly what they mean.
    OK so lets ask the govt to make an exception for cycling. People need it.
    But then some people need to go out on their motorbike, its good for them.
    And then people love to walk on the beach, its good for their mental health.
    And then people need to go to Dundrum, the dopamine is good for their mental health.

I dunno, maybe try something like a short 2km walk, that might just keep their mental health in check for that minor inconvenience, while doctors and nurses battle to save lives, including potentially their own or those of their colleagues and family, no? Is that too much to ask, to maybe think about others beyond your own little bubble for once?
    BINGO, we can't make exceptions. For a variety of reasons, but the main one they will never admit to is, make an exception for one and everyone will be out to protest about their rights or how unfair it is.

I am lucky in a way, I have to go to work for at leat two days next week, not for anything glamourous mind you, but it is essential if boring work. I get to cycle in, get some head space, a bit of normality, thats great. but then again, I get to stand beside a load of people who are all potentially infected. I could get knocked down buy an inattentive git on the N11, I could bring something back to my family which my partner would rightly never forgive me for. My partner already hates me for doing what I think is the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

People are missing the point of optics.
    Of course a solo cycle on deserted roads is safe but that’s not the point.

There are people out there not getting the social distancing at all and think they can carry on. Empty streets send a signal that it’s social unacceptable and enforces social obedience. We must all play our part by sacrificing cycling so that others will stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

One thing intrigues me though. You and I share a passion for skiing and the mountains. As you know, St Anton where I also go a lot, has implemented extreme measures (4 week quarantine) for the same reason as here, yet you post there :

QUOTE=a148pro;112891032]
    Let's all focus on reducing the carnage here first though

That post and your desire to go cycling amid the carnage (your term) here is difficulf to align with your argument. In Austria, you would not be allowed to Ski Tour or cycle (severe fines for doing so) but here you say we just ignore the carnage and go cycling?[/QUOTE]

That's low Kaisr. Forums are non transferrable. You should get involved in contact tracing. Plus lets be honest, cycling is nice an all, but its hardly skiing now is it? What was it that Shankly said?

I can't comment on the Austrian situation, just the situation here, where cycling isn't banned its just limited to 2k. That just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I also think Anton is different in that there was a highly concentrated outbreak there and Ischgl, it seems.

I want to stop the carnage, and have done everything I can. Like I said neither I nor my family have had any elective social contact with anyone since the schools closed, and that was way above what was asked of us in terms of recommendations. I know we're not unique in that. But my point is I have no problem in doing everything I can to stop the virus spreading and have done and will do so.

My problem for this debate is I can't see the connection between the activities concerned and the spread of the virus.

Now if the govt came out and said, we don't want people to cycle because they might end up in hospital that's fine. There could be a reasonable debate as to how much of a difference that would actually make and where you draw the line as another poster said. Or if they came out and said, listen, we're just asking you all to stay within 2k of your home in case you have an accident to avoid an ICU bed or two being used, that's the reason for the 2k thing.

If they came out and said that I think I'd feel differently. But I don't think that's their motive. I think their motive is clowns getting in cars and going to jam packed beauty spots and not realizing this was a bad idea and continuing and having barbeques, beers with their mates or whatever. None of which I will ever do in these circumstances. So I resent other people's irresponsible behavior limiting my responsible behavior.

I actually wanted the government to act quicker at all stages. I thought they should have closed the borders and locked down as soon as it was here and targeted the f*** out of any cases. For some reason, probably political or economic the gig was softly softly, let it take hold and then we'll take steps. A decision was made to live with the virus, close the schools and work to stop widespread transmission. I'm happy to comply with that, I'd like to know what the end game of that is as there are some fairly obvious questions that arise. But once you take that policy it doesn't make sense to limit outdoor activity in the way they are doing. I mean if they came out and said absolute 3 week lockdown with a view to eradicating the virus in Ireland I'd support it. But as it is this particular restriction seems arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭cletus

They're trying not to spook people. There was fist rights over toilet paper when the schools were closed. A week before that, lunatics on the Joe Duffy show were saying the lack of masks were because all the drs and scientists were stockpiling them in their homes.

If the government had come out and said full lockdown for a month, there would have been pandemonium. As it is, people can see that despite everything that's happened, there's still food on the shelves and toilet paper to wipe your arse with.

I'm sure we'd all like to know what the plan is, but I'd imagine that the people implementing the plan don't know, although they're still a couple of steps ahead of where we are.

Which is the same reason that the 2km thing is arbitrary. They're making this thing up as they go (and doing a good job of it, imo). These really are unprecedented times. My 11 year old told me today he thought we would be in the history books, and I agreed with him.

Yet the focus of all of this is being pulled down to "you mean I can't cycle?"

Does anyone here in their heart of hearts really think any consideration was given to athletic training of any degree when this decision was made? The 2km rule has nothing to do with cycling, or marathon running, or triathlons or any other sporting/athletic endeavour.

It's a simple, easy to remember, easy to understand rule, that can be repeated to the general population ad nauseam in order to get us, as a whole, to adopt a stay at home approach to this pandemic.

It's not going to suit you, or me, or a lot of other people, but it is designed to cover everyone from my 7 year old son, to my 66 year old father.

To be honest, some of the arguments and rule bending attempts are very reminiscent of my kids arguments when walking past the playground today "but there's nobody else in there...but we're not sick... we'll wash our hands when we get home"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Now if the govt came out and said, we don't want people to cycle because they might end up in hospital that's fine. .

So you want the minister for health, CMO of the HSE, or whoever, who probably is spending his time helping to co ordinate getting a supply of PPE for healthcare workers from China, or helping to make sure we have enough beds in ICU, to instead spend his time explaining to cyclists why they can't cycle more than 2km from their home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I don't want anything (apart from being able to go into the outdoors responsibly ;)) but every measure heretofore has been explained with a view to getting people onside, and every measure has been rationally and obviously justifiable. This particular measure rather less so.

And to be clear, I'm not pissed off because I can't go training or that my triathlon time will suffer, like I said I haven't been on the road bike in months. I'm just annoyed that something that is very important for my and my family's well being and mental health has been restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Shocker......... cyclists being selfish and expecting to be treated differently to everyone else.

Why is anyone surprised by this???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I don't want anything (apart from being able to go into the outdoors responsibly ;)) but every measure heretofore has been explained with a view to getting people onside, and every measure has been rationally and obviously justifiable. This particular measure rather less so.

And to be clear, I'm not pissed off because I can't go training or that my triathlon time will suffer, like I said I haven't been on the road bike in months. I'm just annoyed that something that is very important for my and my family's well being and mental health has been restricted.

Just to be clear, you weren’t going to go cycling anyway but now that the gubberiddenmint have told you you can’t you are outraged and want to go cycling? Typical “paddy” response. Get over yourself this isn’t, in any way, about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Shocker......... cyclists being selfish and expecting to be treated differently to everyone else.

There’s only one person saying this. You’ve seen the responses he’s getting but, sure, it’s ALL cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just go for the 15-20 min cycle as long as its within the 2km.

https://2kmfromhome.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭cletus

You're still thinking about this the wrong way. YOUR family hasn't been restricted, EVERYONE's family has been restricted, for the good of everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD NOTE: User banned, do not respond to post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm just annoyed that something that is very important for my and my family's well being and mental health has been restricted.
    Aren't we all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Aren't we all.

Your mental health won't suffer if you can't cycle for two weeks stop being dramatic.

Go for a cycle the 2km and be happy we can still go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think I understand now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Your mental health won't suffer if you can't cycle for two weeks stop being dramatic.
    i think you misread what my post was intended to convey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....As an aside can you imagine the head**** these guys have been through in recent past. All the FG lads were basically retiring, all the civil servants must have been like, well they're gone, SF on the cusp of a legitimate claim to power. Then this happens and suddenly the retiring politicians have gone to playing probably the most important political role in the last century, excepting maybe the banking crash, and SF are no where to be seen. Strange turn of events!
    This is way bigger than the banking crash.

I'd be the last person to support SF but the reason they, and other opposition parties have been so quiet, is to avoid engaging in political point scoring over this. It's too serious for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

fryup wrote: »
    seriously... how are the guards suppose to police this? unless they know where you live...they're hardy going to take out a measuring tape, they'll be lots chancing their arm
    They can demand your name and address and other relevant details. If they aren't satisfied with your response, they can arrest you on the spot. So, if you're cycling to work, they might be looking for some evidence like an id card. Fines are up €2,500 (or up to six months) and would be after a conviction in the district court.

fwiw, i was in my garden in Oldtown most of yesterday and went for a run later. I'd normally see or hear dozens of cyclists out on leisure spins, but didn't notice one all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb4a_CLHtBs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've managed to make an 80k loop on Strava within a 2km circle of my use (1.5km on one side due to a large train station even). I sometimes would cross a road I've been on but never take the same road twice). 800m elevation. The joys of living in such a densely populated city.

(No don't worry - I'm not going to do it!)

I'm asthmatic and had very severe pneumonia a couple of years ago so sticking to the turbo since early March. My plan was initially to use this time to increase solo rides until a clubmate fell and broke his shoulder requiring surgery which scared me off a bit.

I live abroad and we don't have the 2km limit here (it is just short exercise near the home - the near the home is at the discretion of the cop who pulls you over - the only rule is that you cannot drive anywhere to exercise). Some people are still going for solo rides but I've decided it wasn't worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

If cycling is your passion, then there is still many things you can do cycling related without getting on the bike that you may not often get time for:

- Read about different forms of cycling: MTBing, touring, Randonneuring, Ultra Distance etc and see if you want to build them into your skillset when we get back on the road
    - Service your bike. Many of us can get better at this, l see loads of people that can't even fix a puncture. Get good at this, you might need to even go back to fixing inner tubes soon using patches!! OMG!:eek:
    - Read about different cycling techniques: pedal stoke, breathing, positions - internet is full of the stuff
    - Get the map out and plan some routes, hilly i.e. 1 in 1000 elevation, picturesque routes and share them
    - Watch GCN or some other cycling vblog, hundreds of them or old stylie blog
    - Watch classic cycling movies, i.e. A Sunday in Hell
    - Read classic cycling books: Slaying the Badger
    - Look at Bike Porn: but don't Google 'Bike Porn', I mean just look a pictures of beautiful bikes
    - Plan upgrades of your components (we know everyone loves doing this) or plan your n+1

Anyway, the idea is broaden your knowledge of cycling in whatever way you want, its a free pass.

But don't be a cycling d*ck and go out on your bike and don't ride red lights either EVA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

A lot of morons cycling well beyond the 2Km limit who also have their club kit on or else have their club affiliation noted on their profiles. Time for the cycling clubs to start issuing warnings against people taking the piss.

there's a garda checkpoint about 100m from my house at the moment. they're stopping every car passing by.
    they're not stopping walkers or joggers that i've noticed, will be curious if they stop cyclists; but there are very few cyclists this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Didn't know I could get Sunday in Hell on YouTube - thanks for that!

I don't think I've seen it before on YouTube, but if you can find it, watch the subtitled version rather than the dubbed/English language voiceover one. There's a lot of detail you'd miss, that's in the subtitled one.

there's a garda checkpoint about 100m from my house at the moment. they're stopping every car passing by.
    they're not stopping walkers or joggers that i've noticed, will be curious if they stop cyclists; but there are very few cyclists this morning.

I imagine its down to how far a person can typically travel on foot which would mean ~90% wouldn't be outside 2km so no point stopping them. I would say they would stop cyclist as we could be further like a car from the 2km point.

Have spotted one cyclist who clearly slowed in expectation of being stopped, but they ignored him. And it wasn't because they were already dealing with motorists, there were no cars there at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

This is not the final stage of the lockdown. I give it a week tops and we'll move to another level.

We can close this thread then.

KOR101 wrote: »
    This is not the final stage of the lockdown. I give it a week tops and we'll move to another level.

We can close this thread then.

Why would we close the thread - its about the impact of the Corona Virus to cycling, this impact will go one for many more months regardless of how the lock down goes???

• Advertisement

On a slightly lighter note for anyone on swift - Dan is doing a ride today to raise awareness:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-leads-virtual-ride-to-deliver-masks-to-medical-personnel/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement