Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's really not the time for being a sea lawyer. Moderation in everything, including the amount of exercise you need within your 2km area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Where I live is on a fairly popular cycling route. You could easily have 50 plus passing my gate over a weekend. This weekend I've counted ONE passing the gate.

Looks like the majority of people are heeding the current restrictions. I am also limiting myself to one walk a day, rather than the usual cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

cornet wrote: »
    CI should cancel insurance unless for commuting purposes only. Similar to what GAA did in relation to training.

Speaking of which, shouldn't all us CI members get some sort of a partial refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

2016 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, shouldn't all us CI members get some sort of a partial refund?

Not really interested in a €4 /€8 refund. They might just extend the year by the relevant number of month(s) when this ever gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2016 wrote: »
    That's not the spirit to have at a time like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not really interested in a €4 /€8 refund. They might just extend the year by the relevant number of month(s) when this ever gets sorted.

Yeah, although my competitive licence was about €135 IIRC.

Forgetting about refund nonsense, I think there may well be no races at all this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some @rsehole was cycling across the sallygap today according to Strava.. 80km all in.

Spanish cyclist, who you'd think would have a look at how dire it is back home before deciding it's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

please don't bite my head off.....but is it wrong to be cycling/hiking/jogging....in remote areas without a soul to be seen??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

fryup wrote: »
    please don't bite my head off.....but is it wrong to be cycling/hiking/jogging....in remote areas without a soul to be seen??

Yes, it's not just morally wrong its also illegal and can be punishable by fines or even jail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Please, some cyclists... This is not a time for the anti cyclist rhetoric.I do notice that some motorists are still speeding, running red lights ..., etc.
    Poser was banned
    fryup wrote: »
    Yes, if you have an accident, minor or major it could be the time where you are taking vital front line staff away, wasting PPE and other valuable resources. It may seem fine but there is a risk, whether you believe it or not, albeit minor, it's still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You could say the same for driving surely though?

Yes but people are being asked to only drive/cycle etc etc if necessary. Hiking isn't necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

CramCycle wrote: »
    Poser was banned

Yes, if you have an accident, minor or major it could be the time where you are taking vital front line staff away, wasting PPE and other valuable resources. It may seem fine but there is a risk, whether you believe it or not, albeit minor, it's still there

Interesting point - I’ve seen more toddlers and serious wobblers on busy narrow roads including with stabalisers - its really shocking - put your babies to cycle on the footpath - you wouldn’t leave your best china loose on the roads - busses and trucks still use them. :0

Agree re services and the great overbreathing hoardes whizzing by pedestrians - it is an air bourn disease. But v nice to do on almost empty rural roads!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

IT today https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-should-carry-evidence-of-travel-reasons-if-exceeding-2km-limit-1.4215164
    In Co Wicklow, gardaí encountered some cyclists on their bikes for leisure or training and, after speaking to them about the restrictions, the cyclists were told to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

LennoxR wrote: »

You should see the Garda Wicklow FB page... Disgraceful comments under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

From the absolute pillars of society, no doubt

You should see the Garda Wicklow FB page... Disgraceful comments under it.

Anti cyclist I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

LennoxR wrote: »
    Anti cyclist I suppose?

The usual. But Gardai specifically posting about cyclists does nothing to help things.

Remember this? https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155841392228001&id=167613868000

Originally they reported it as a motorway, was only later pointed out as being a national road and they didn't even remove the post. Just edited the note. :rolleyes:

An Garda Siochana's attitude towards cyclists, especially on social media, needs to change.

The usual. But Gardai specifically posting about cyclists does nothing to help things.

Remember this? https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155841392228001&id=167613868000

Originally they reported it as a motorway, was only later pointed out as being a national road and they didn't even remove the post. Just edited the note. :rolleyes:

An Garda Siochana's attitude towards cyclists, especially on social media, needs to change.

Sigh. What can you do? Some people are just ignorant and always will be. Disappointed in the Guards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »
    Poser was banned

The mind boggles that people dont get it. Cycling is the new curve now the toilet roll demand has flushed through the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I don't post here a lot but I do lurk a bit. However I checked strava today just to see, and several people who should know better were out doing 50/60K spins. One even had the nerve to title his spin "Lockdown no. 1". What in the name of sweet Jesus is hard to understand about this? We need to put the bikes away and forget them for now - that includes the people doing 90 mins spins on some short loop. People need to get their heads out of their arses. It doesn't matter that your 50K spin was away from everyone and completely "safe". If you can't understand why then you need to sit down for a while and think about something else other your own needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

After a short spin on Friday and the announcement later I (like us all) had a decision to make.

Yes, I could go out for a spin and get around the 2km but I decided to put the bike in lockdown, however disappointing.
    My reasoning being that my neighbours, all of whom will still be here after (I hope), will see me and percieve that I'm off up the mountains. Also, one of my close neighbours is in a high risk group. All in all, I'll do the jobs around the house I have deliberately put on the long finger in anticiption of this moment and go for a few local strolls.

This afternoon an ambulance with crew in full hazmat suits went into a house near me. They were there quite a while.

Decision justified, no further consideration required until I'm told otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I don't post here a lot but I do lurk a bit. However I checked strava today just to see, and several people who should know better were out doing 50/60K spins. One even had the nerve to title his spin "Lockdown no. 1". What in the name of sweet Jesus is hard to understand about this? We need to put the bikes away and forget them for now - that includes the people doing 90 mins spins on some short loop. People need to get their heads out of their arses. It doesn't matter that your 50K spin was away from everyone and completely "safe". If you can't understand why then you need to sit down for a while and think about something else other your own needs.

You are specifically allowed exercise !
    You are allowed out on your bike as long as you stay within 2kms of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

RobFowl wrote: »

Get on the turbo/Do a few pushups/burpees/run on the spot. Being out on a bike has to become socially unacceptable for a little while otherwise we'll end up with more muppets doing 40K for "Lockdown spin no. 10"

I'll add that there are many things that you are allowed to do. That doesn't mean you should do them

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I live in a remote area and usually do a 5km cycle with the kids and we won't be 2km from home at any point and hardly meet any traffic on a normal day let alone now so I can't see why anyone would tell me not to do that when we have been told it's OK to do it, on the other hand I've seen rides on strava today which were clearly not within 2km of the persons home.
    I will Def take the kids our for a spin every day unless were told not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I'll add that there are many things that you are allowed to do. That doesn't mean you should do them
    So I should not cycle to work tomorrow to the essential service I provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭cletus

For brief exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Some countries actually encouraging cycling

https://twitter.com/philipoltermann/status/1244189207867854848?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

mamax wrote: »
    Some countries actually encouraging cycling to work

https://twitter.com/philipoltermann/status/1244189207867854848?s=20

FYP

My partner got verbally abused while cycling home tonight. Couple in their 50;s out for a walk in their gloves and masks. We pay taxes and can judge others you know the type. Walked away like whipped curs with their talis between their legs when she turned back to inform them she was coming from work and asked if they knew anyone in nursing home X

Pair of **** wits out for a stroll after a few wines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Arseholes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement