Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RobFowl wrote: »
    You are specifically allowed exercise !
    You are allowed out on your bike as long as you stay within 2kms of your home.

As long as it is brief, which has been defined as 30min. In anyevent, the stay indoors instruction is the primary factor in this lockdown.

So I should not cycle to work tomorrow to the essential service I provide?

I tbink you know the answer to that. There is no do not cycle directive nor is there a 2km commute limit.

Enjoy your cycles, and stay safe!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My partner got verbally abused while cycling home tonight. Couple in their 50;s out for a walk in their gloves and masks. We pay taxes and can judge others you know the type. Walked away like whipped curs with their talis between their legs when she turned back to inform them she was coming from work and asked if they knew anyone in nursing home X

Pair of **** wits out for a stroll after a few wines.
    Ironically their post-wine exercise is meant to be on an individual basis so they're the ones who need a talking to!
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I would say it depends. Do you have an option not to cycle? If you don't then obviously yes you should cycle. If you do then it might be worth considering not cycling.

It is incumbent on people to discourage, if at all possible, the notion that continuing to do long spins on the bike is acceptable. The more people that are visible out on the road in normal training gear the more likely it is that we will continue to see muppets posting 50K spins on Strava. The change that is required is not just based on specific individual circumstances, it requires broad societal acceptance of extreme restrictions. Every time someone decides to push the limits of the rules, it encourages others to do likewise. If that continues that government will eventually be forced to make life tougher for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    As long as it is brief, which has been defined as 30min. In anyevent, the stay indoors instruction is the primary factor in this lockdown.

It has not been defined as 30 mins and is not in the legislation as 30 mins

• Advertisement

It was mentioned as 30min in the speech and in print afterwards. I have no idea what is in the legislation, in this regard, but the word brief narrows things quite a lot.

What is your opinion of what brief exercise outside means in the context of a general instruction to stay indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

It waa mentioned as 30min in tje speech and in print afterwards. I have no idea what is in the legislation, in this regard but the word brief narrows things quite a lot. What is your opinion of what brief exercise outside means in the context of a general instruction to stay indoors?

It was already shown in this thread the speech and letter stated 30 mins from home not 30 mins of exercise. Brief can be an hour.

It was already shown in this thread the speech and letter stated 30 mins from home not 30 mins of exercise. Brief can be an hour.

So what is brief to you? 30min from home can be total time away from home. In my opinion, one hour is not brief.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And a judge if you want to entering a pissing match can refer to the spirit of the law over the wording of the law. FFS, I refuse to believe people cannot get the intent anymore and are simply being obstructive or indignant pr1cks.

80km spins within a 2km circle maybe within the letter but are certainly not the intent, don't be a d1ck. Going to work in an essential service is within the spirit of th law, turning your typical 15km commute into a 50km commute is not.

My f*cking 6yo has more intelligence than some of the sh1te being spouted here, and just like his Dad, he ain't winning any nobel prizes anytime soon.

CramCycle wrote: »
    And a judge if you want to entering a pissing match can refer to the spirit of the law over the wording of the law. FFS, I refuse to believe people cannot get the intent anymore and are simply being obstructive or indignant pr1cks.

80km spins within a 2km circle maybe within the letter but are certainly not the intent, don't be a d1ck. Going to work in an essential service is within the spirit of th law, turning your typical 15km commute into a 50km commute is not.

My f*cking 6yo has more intelligence than some of the sh1te being spouted here, and just like his Dad, he ain't winning any nobel prizes anytime soon.

I am too polite here but agree totally. Some people are fxcking obsessing over ways to do what they bloody well want to do. Then acting like spoiled brats because for the first time in their lives they cannot do what they please. They dont care about others, its all about them. Absolute morons. Shame on them is what i say.

• Advertisement

It's almost as if being within 2km of your house gives you a magic cloak of immunity to transmitting or contracting the virus.
    Just stay off the bike unless you're going to work or to get food.
    What are you going to gain by cycling round in loops around your house except animosity from your neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

As you are a serial commuter i would say yes as i assume you are under severe pressure workwise and assume it would be mentally beneficial to help you cope in work.

Here’s Simon Harris latest tweet. No mention of a time limit

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1244376402096521217/photo/1

Here’s Simon Harris latest tweet. No mention of a time limit

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1244376402096521217/photo/1
    It has been described as brief individual exercise by the government.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/
    Whikst "brief" is a vague term but to most would not be an hour or two or three.
    There's people having to watch loved ones be taken away never to be seen again and some think it's their right to interpret the rules to suit themselves.
    Stop being obstinate. The rules are in place for a very good reason. IMO anyone who things that they should be allowed to bend then for whatever reason is being a selfish prick. We're all supposed to be in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The radio ads mention that people from a household can exercise together. So a couple and a child or both parents and all four kids out together are not breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Ironically their post-wine exercise is meant to be on an individual basis so they're the ones who need a talking to!

I would think individual means once per day rather than on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Get on the turbo/Do a few pushups/burpees/run on the spot. Being out on a bike has to become socially unacceptable for a little while otherwise we'll end up with more muppets doing 40K for "Lockdown spin no. 10"

I'll add that there are many things that you are allowed to do. That doesn't mean you should do them

Socially unacceptable , Says who? The usual clowns always whinging about cyclists and often utter laughably Ill informed statements ?

One more time, it is permit able to go outside and ride your bike, provided that you say within 2 km . Severe restrictions on every other day to day activities are in place , bar this alleged socially unacceptable activity

Funny you advocate turbo training, where one is in a room (even with a fan) where one will be sweating like a pig, coughing and spluttering ....(not everyone has access to turbo outside in the yard )

Mind your own business, boyo

It was mentioned as 30min in the speech and in print afterwards. I have no idea what is in the legislation, in this regard, but the word brief narrows things quite a lot.

What is your opinion of what brief exercise outside means in the context of a general instruction to stay indoors?

Big difference between a speech and what is in legislation 🙄 . The legislation is silent. If the Oireachtas intended to define the term, they would have ,in the legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Socially unacceptable , Says who? The usual clowns always whinging about cyclists and often utter laughably Ill informed statements ?

One more time, it is permit able to go outside and ride your bike, provided that you say within 2 km . Severe restrictions on every other day to day activities are in place , bar this alleged socially unacceptable activity

Funny you advocate turbo training, where one is in a room (even with a fan) where one will be sweating like a pig, coughing and spluttering ....(not everyone has access to turbo outside in the yard )

Says the general public!

Primarily because you ride in groups rather than singly and treat other road users with complete derision.
    Eg Sunday 22nd Enniskerry village full of cyclists 100% not from same household flouting the "do not congregate" rules.
    Congregating in groups and actually I saw some of them spitting.

The locals obeying the do not congregate rules yet of course the rules don't apply to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Honestly do not see a major problem in cycling a bit in a quite area near home if that is possible . Cycle at a steady pace on your own is not much different than people running around parks or through estates in my book .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ellejay wrote: »
    Primarily because you ride in groups rather than singly and treat other road users with complete derision.
    either read the forum charter and abide by it - specifically the section regarding negativity towards cyclists - or do not post in this thread again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cut out this sort of language

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm going to post this, then I think I'm done posting in here for a bit.

People are looking at the letter of the law here, trying to pick it apart, and see what loopholes might exist in order to allow them do what they want.

Judges in a courtroom are entitled to interpret the spirit of the law, that is, what did the law makers intend, rather than what words they wrote down.

The word in contention here appears to be 'brief'. Now, if you run ultra marathons, a 10k run might be brief to you, but the legislation was not enacted with ultra marathon runners in mind.

Likewise, the legislation was not enacted specifically with cycling in mind, so while not against the letter of the law, cycling loops around your house inside a 2km radius for 2 hours goes against the spirit of the law.

Anyone who thinks or says otherwise, in my opinion, is either being deliberately obtuse or argumentative

yep, i've fantasised over the idea that some gobdaws may end up in front of court and the judge making them stand up and say 'please explain to me in small words a) why you think you know better than the chief medical officer, and b) why you simply couldn't hang up the bike for a few weeks?', and them being able to convince the judge.

ellejay wrote: »
    Says the general public!

Eg Sunday 22nd Enniskerry village full of cyclists 100% not from same household flouting the "do not congregate" rules.
    Congregating in groups and actually I saw some of them spitting.

The locals obeying the do not congregate rules yet of course the rules don't apply to cyclists.

Again, who ? The usual gob****es who don’t seem to know what road tax is ? Or the rules of the road ? Road rules, something you are clearly not familiar with as proven in the above statement regarding the permit table manner cyclists can take to the road .

The fact that until recently, bike shops were one of the specific shops permitted to remain open (like garages) and exercises including cycling is still permitted ,albeit in a limited fashion , suggests otherwise

Bear in mind, it wasn’t the cyclists who were Ignoring the social distance protocols in the parks and public areas ,that has lead to this further reduction

Last week on the local 40km cycleway near me, Walkers thought it was a great idea to stand out in the middle of the cycle way and have their chin wags . Worse than the usual behaviour from them .. Even worse, and this was unprecedented , I saw one runner actually down on his back doing STRETCHES on said cycle track .... GUBU stuff , blocking up the track too ...he clearly was not a regular because he got told pretty quickly to cop on by passers by

Cycling Ireland made it quiet clear that people out to cycle solo.

You don’t got a leg to stand on chief . Drop it or be dropped

yep, i've fantasised over the idea that some gobdaws may end up in front of court and the judge making them stand up and say 'please explain to me in small words a) why you think you know better than the chief medical officer, and b) why you simply couldn't hang up the bike for a few weeks?', and them being able to convince the judge.

Well, considering said doctors and politicians didn’t exclude or prohibit people from cycling or running ...doesn’t look like people are trying to claim that they know better, bar the jack asses who are out doing those 80km spins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cletus wrote: »
    I'm going to post this, then I think I'm done posting in here for a bit.

People are looking at the letter of the law here, trying to pick it apart, and see what loopholes might exist in order to allow them do what they want.

Judges in a courtroom are entitled to interpret the spirit of the law, that is, what did the law makers intend, rather than what words they wrote down.

The word in contention here appears to be 'brief'. Now, if you run ultra marathons, a 10k run might be brief to you, but the legislation was not enacted with ultra marathon runners in mind.

Likewise, the legislation was not enacted specifically with cycling in mind, so while not against the letter of the law, cycling loops around your house inside a 2km radius for 2 hours goes against the spirit of the law.

Anyone who thinks or says otherwise, in my opinion, is either being deliberately obtuse or argumentative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7wREOySaxU

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Go out and cycle within 2 KMs of your house for 30 mins if you want to get the HR up and fresh air. Any more and you're bad. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What I was planning to do was go for my 30min 2KM radius spin but include interval style as one might do in the gym. Ill see what works better , tabata style 20 seconds on 10 seconds off or cycle hard for 1min rest 1 min. I have a decent block to ride around that has 2 long straight road and few if any lights.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Again, who ? The usual gob****es who don’t seem to know what road tax is ?
    What is it?
    Is it like Motor Tax? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement