Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Friend of mine cycling home from fire service had a car pull up beside him and some complete and utter halfwit video him whilst lecturing about social responsibility etc.

The firefighter identified himself and reason for his journey and reported car and reg. Hope its followed up

Wear headphones while cycling! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

lennymc wrote: »
    My DIY attempt at a cycling desk

507647.jpeg

(excuse the state of the shed - im still sorting stuff out)

two builders trestles and a sheet of mdf left over from the kitchen. If I find spray paint somewhere in there, I might paint it up.

That’s looks cool! Is it a TCR? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

lennymc wrote: »
    My DIY attempt at a cycling desk

(excuse the state of the shed - im still sorting stuff out)

two builders trestles and a sheet of mdf left over from the kitchen. If I find spray paint somewhere in there, I might paint it up.

The shed is grand, but the bike is in sh1te!!! - There should be NO excuse for a dirty bike on the turbo!!!

It's the silver lining in this viral cloud. - Wash your bike once - stays gleaming even after a fortnight of spins :D

Some of the commentry here is way over the top.

I live near a popular route and according to Strava and my own observations walking it it has been deserted. People are heeding the warnings.

People need to step away from their keyboards and hop on their turbos. You arent helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

As a lot of people mentioned, a 30min spin within 2km seems reasonable and beneficial for your health and sanity.
    I doubt there's many people doing long cycles following the 2km boundary restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Dubba wrote: »
    As a lot of people mentioned, a 30min spin within 2km seems reasonable and beneficial for your health and sanity.
    I doubt there's many people doing long cycles following the 2km boundary restriction.

In my strava feed for today 7 people doing spins of over an hour, 3 of them over 2 hours. Two of those even rode together - the other one did a 50K spin around backroads way way outside the 2K limit. I only follow 59 people on strava. One did an hour of cycling around Phoenix park ffs

Actually, what amazes me is that people still post this stuff on strava

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

In my strava feed for today 7 people doing spins of over an hour, 3 of them over 2 hours. Two of those even rode together - the other one did a 50K spin around backroads way way outside the 2K limit. I only follow 59 people on strava. One did an hour of cycling around Phoenix park ffs

Just to play devil's advocate - people could assume that a walk in and around a 2km boundary could easily take an hour. Obviously we'll have the minority who take the piss and go much further.

On a side note - the main point is to social distance and imo cycling on the road is far safer than walking / running past people on foothpaths. Wearing a buff over the mouth and nose is probably a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I doubt they will lift the 2km limit after the two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Saw 2 members of GS walking side by side today no social distancing and 5 min later saw 2 on bicycles riding 2 abreast and not 2 meters apart... just saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

GS = Garda Síochána? Completely impractical in their line of work for them to be "socially distanced" from their colleague.

They have introduced a buddy system so one is paired with the same colleague consistently to reduce the chance of contagion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And I saw two Gardai in one of the new community Garda Cars, making a delivery to an elderly neighbour, today...... just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Stark wrote: »
    GS = Garda Síochána? Completely impractical in their line of work for them to be "socially distanced" from their colleague.

They have introduced a buddy system so one is paired with the same colleague consistently to reduce the chance of contagion.

Buddy system makes perfect sense now , ta

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

secman wrote: »
    Saw 2 members of GS walking side by side today no social distancing and 5 min later saw 2 on bicycles riding 2 abreast and not 2 meters apart... just saying

Saw 2 members of the GS today and they weren't 2 metres apart. Mind you, they were helping an old man with a puncture outside Tesco.... Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Amazed me too that normally sensible friends who are abiding by the current restrictions gave the idiots kudos. Maybe they have some kind of auto-kudos-giving programme set up? I've called out a few people and un-followed one who thought it was fine to be out for three hours on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just un follow them, I've unfollowed 2 so far who've been taking the piss.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Omega28 wrote: »
    I doubt they will lift the 2km limit after the two weeks
    Its very unlikely. The benefit from the introduction of the 2km zone will only have become apparent by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Tougher travel restrictions into and on the island of Ireland will be discussed when the National Public Health Emergency Team meets this morning

“We meet again as National Public Health Emergency Team and the question of measures in relation to travel within the island, trance onto the island, will be again on the agenda.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/travel-restrictions-into-and-on-island-of-ireland-to-be-discussed-by-nphet-today-991162.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    That’s looks cool! Is it a TCR? :-)

yup
    fat bloke wrote: »
    The shed is grand, but the bike is in sh1te!!! - There should be NO excuse for a dirty bike on the turbo!!!

It's the silver lining in this viral cloud. - Wash your bike once - stays gleaming even after a fortnight of spins :D

lucky i cleaned it before that picture!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

The problem is that "brief" is open to interpretation.

I think lots of serious cyclists would genuinely think 1hr as a brief cycle, and think if they kept to <2km then they would be adhering to guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I would be almost certain any keen cyclist who has invested a couple of grand at least into their hobby would deem one hour as a short spin .I understand the current circumstances but solo spins of an hour close to home seem fair to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is an 8.2km loop near me all within 2km radius of my house. I done it 3 times this evening, had planned to do 4 laps but got bored so just went home after the 3rd. I live in the country and the back roads are empty even in normal times. I think I’ll venture further tomorrow evening.

There is 42km loop that I can do on mountain roads where even in summer I could do the loop and meet no traffic so think I’ll make it my regular spin. It has over 400m of climbing too so should suffice.

Genuine question:

Does any 42km loop exist on any road, which is no more than 2km away from a point on that road?
    I can't envisage what such a road would look like on a map.

even if you ride a perfect circle from a 2km central point that would only be 12km if my maths is right.

even if you ride a perfect circle from a 2km central point that would only be 12km if my maths is right.

yes, but it could be a very squiggly road?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you draw a route that looks like a coronavirus, you can get more distance in.

I wonder could Cee-Jay-Cee help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Not quite. More like 16km ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's perfectly theoretically possible. i suspect manhattan or another grid city would be easiest to visualise it on. leave your home on 1st street avenue A, and cycle eastwards 1.5km from your house along 1st street to avenue K. down avenue K onto 2nd street and cycle back towards avenue B, and when you hit it, onto 3rd street, back out to avenue K. rinse and repeat, and when you get to 24th street, back to avenue A, and cycle up avenue A to home.

the route would look like a capital E but with many more horizontals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement