Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Problem if you are fit from cycling it's very easy over do it starting out running. Your lungs and heart are well able for it but your leg muscles and joints aren't. You really need to ease yourself into it. Following the likes of couch to 5k is a good option though it will feel very easy at the start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ckeego wrote: »
    2. Don’t be a di€k
    If one rule in the world could be enforced and negate all others, it would be this one.
    WWF, surely? I'm obviously not down with the modern lingo.
    +1
    Doing crappy laps of the 2km radius trying to get "around" the rules

So I've absolutely zero interest in either of those options, TBH.

In the meantime I'll probably get fatter and unhealthier and put a little more strain on the health services though! What a set of choices!
    +100 the idea of doing loops inside a 2km zone sounds liek hell, I'd sooner not ride a bike at all.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I did a Red C survey this morning.
    The last question was about what three things I'd do when all this is over.
    I had to demote "going for a cycle" to 3rd place, when I remembered "seeing my grandchildren" and "taking my wife out for a meal".
    My grandson is the only one I want to talk too (he is in the house), the rest I am looking forward to seeing them less :eek:
    I do know of 2 essential workers who have taken to cycling to work as the roads are quieter now plus it gives them a fresh air breather from the stress of what they are working at. It would be great to have this continue after this is all over - I always feel better the odd time I'm after cycling to work than hopping onto the car.
    Met an RTE News worker today as I cycled in, we had a conversation as he cycled in the cycle lane and I stayed on the right of the bus lane. It was interesting to have a commute conversation where we didn't have to go shoulder to shoulder or shout. I never realised hiw much noise cars generate in the background. Bus drivers were bang on as well.
    i was half tempted to try running but i've no footwear suitable. so i went out and dug in the garden instead.
    Dug up our back garden the first weekend, and reseeded it. We went all in the 1st week and my partner is now suffering the reprecussions of getting more ambitious with the home jobs and no supplies to actually do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Main thing with running is a very careful warm up (dynamic stretches only, no static stretches) and a good stretch after it. Especially if you haven't run for awhile.

Pre Run Warm Up

Post Run Stretches

There are a good few runners on here who could advise better than I, but after training for Seven Sisters 50km mountain run and the Dublin Marathon last year (half-finished one and finished the other slowly), I learned a lot about various muscle weaknesses long-term cycling can promote. I'm still suffering the consequences. The running didn't injure me, my routine did tbh.

If you ran as a youth, then stopped, you may be in for a shock if you start running again when you're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭py

CramCycle wrote: »
    My partner went for a walk yesterday, muppets on bikes with their teenage kids on bikes on the f'in footpath. Over the 3km walk, there was 2 cars passed them, what were they on the f'in footpath for. Mother of God, Muppets.

Also, sorry I clarified their kids were on bikes because when I wrote it without the clarification it sounded like the kids were getting a crosser.

Seeing this too. We've been using this time to get the young lad accustomed to cycling on the road. It'll stand to him down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

I'm in a strange place at the moment, back issues have flared up again, no cycling for almost 2 weeks now, coinciding with the lock down, have plenty of garden to tend too but have to be extra careful with my back, biggest pain is not being able to get physio :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been alternating - if it's a bit cooler, I go for a run. If it's sunny and warmer, I dig the garden. I've dug up about half of the lawn now... what do I do when I finish that?

If our garden was once akin to an unruly fun loving mongrel it is now closer to a stressed out poodle on its way to crufts.

Figured out last night that longer turbo sessions are manageable with an audio book. Also if done right after work, they introduce a delay into reaching for a can of beer from the fridge for a good bit which is "a good thing (tm)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

For anyone suffering with physio-type needs like myself, I know these can be super specific, but I've found mobility work like that found on https://gmb.io/ to be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

CramCycle wrote: »

Met an RTE News worker today as I cycled in, we had a conversation as he cycled in the cycle lane and I stayed on the right of the bus lane. It was interesting to have a commute conversation where we didn't have to go shoulder to shoulder or shout. I never realised hiw much noise cars generate in the background. Bus drivers were bang on as well.

In first few days at least I definitely noticed drivers being more accommodating to each other, letting each other out etc., was very nice. People feel safe in their cars obviously, walking on the street its like they're in zombie defence mode

Has anyone else noticed the birds? You can hear them so clearly now with the lesser work / traffic noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

a148pro wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the birds? You can hear them so clearly now with the lesser work / traffic noise?

Yes I've definitely noticed that the past week or so. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

WWF, surely? I'm obviously not down with the modern lingo.
    Think you're definitely a bit out of date, the half naked wrestlers were sued by the panda people so changed their name to WWE back in 2002: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Fund_for_Nature#Initialism_dispute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Couple of things jump out from a 74 page thread such as this..

Firstly, what happened to #Bekind? The latest legislation on staying at home and social distancing is, somewhat open to interpretation. In a crisis, it’s better to act, rather than stand by and do nowt but the legislation shouldn’t divide us as a group because of a standpoint or viewpoint.

Bickering, name calling and rants aren’t going to get us through this crisis sane.

I’ve just checked the updated page on gov.ie and it doesn’t say that you can’t go out and exercise (it states that you can) and whether it did say brief exercise, (and the whole barrack lawyering on that phrase) it now says within 2km of your home, nothing more.

80k loops pushing the boundary of a radius isn’t in the spirit of what we’ve been asked but surely the risk of kids and indeed adults wobble riding on footpaths beside busy roads is just as risky and likely to be a burden on stretched Services?

One great piece of advice from elsewhere to get through this we have to do 2 things..
    1. Do what we’re told

2. Don’t be a di€k

I’m still sticking on my turbo and an isolated walk but let’s just stay civil and look forward to sunnier days in the saddle on the open road..

Keep well all.

My opinion is that people should stay home, not because they are risking infecting others or getting infected themselves, solo cycling makes those risks negligible. The risk is you have an accident and end up needing to be looked after by a health service that is already at breaking point.
    My brother had a very innocuous accident this time last year and ended up in hospital for 3 days, it happens and can happen easily.
    I think going out now is enormously selfish and shows a complete disregard for others and the sheer scale of the crisis we are in. If you are so addicted to cycling that you cant even leave it alone for a few weeks in what is the closest any of us will get to a war situation, then you have a different problem to covid19 and I'd suggest you go speak to a psychologist when this crisis is over.
    Putting your own needs (and for most its just a hobby) above society's in a global emergency is a very bad look.
    Grow up, get a fuller, more rounded, balanced life and buy a turbo trainer.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I am too polite here but agree totally. Some people are fxcking obsessing over ways to do what they bloody well want to do. Then acting like spoiled brats because for the first time in their lives they cannot do what they please. They dont care about others, its all about them. Absolute morons. Shame on them is what i say.

Absolutely spot on. Theres a lot of it with us mamil lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lumen wrote: »
    When did this turn into magicbastarder's gardening channel? :pac:

I'm more concerned about this thread turning into an advice centre for joggers and runners.
    If those hoors get their feet in the door, we'll all be be wearing knee length socks and sleeveless tops and forgetting how to ride in a group, before we know where we are. And then we'll be advised to go for a quick dip to waken us up, before our exercise.
    It's Armageddon, I tell you, Armageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

terrydel wrote: »
    My opinion is that people should stay home, not because they are risking infecting others or getting infected themselves, solo cycling makes those risks negligible. The risk is you have an accident and end up needing to be looked after by a health service that is already at breaking point.
    My brother had a very innocuous accident this time last year and ended up in hospital for 3 days, it happens and can happen easily.
    I think going out now is enormously selfish and shows a complete disregard for others and the sheer scale of the crisis we are in. If you are so addicted to cycling that you cant even leave it alone for a few weeks in what is the closest any of us will get to a war situation, then you have a different problem to covid19 and I'd suggest you go speak to a psychologist when this crisis is over.
    Putting your own needs (and for most its just a hobby) above society's in a global emergency is a very bad look.

Is this directed at me personally?!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Rund um Köln has been cancelled :(

I trained all winter with a view to achieving an ambitious personal target in the open race/sportive/whatever you want to call it. Of course it's the right decision but the buzz would've been unreal.. Zwift races the way forward.

Is this directed at me personally?!

No, as you said you are not out cycling for non essential reasons right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fek it! i'm going for my usual saturday morning cycle...restrictions or no restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

fryup wrote: »
    fek it! i'm going for my usual saturday morning cycle...restrictions or no restrictions

yea, me too. Beamore Cross and turn for home. 3.7kms in total

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Very sensible idea restrictions always only apply to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

terrydel wrote: »

I don't really think there really are many who have a complete disregard for the scale of the worldwide crisis.

I've had more accidents requiring hospital care from home DIY and running than ever had out on the bike. I find an hour's spin a few times a week does leave me in a good place mentally and I am continuing to do that, and can do it all within the confines of the 2km limit. Its not an addiction to cycling in the least and I question your suggestion to seek out a psychologist for those who continue to cycle as their brief exercise vs a run/walk. Mental health as important as physical health.

I do believe it is no worse than those I've seen who appear to have only taken up running in the last few days and being very honest, many of them look like heart attack candidates.

btw - you can't get a turbo for love nor money at the moment.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Yes, the restriction should be that nobody gets out of bed.

Yea feck it old folk and sick people are only a burden anyhow who needs em. God forbid that we might be inconvenienced to give them a better chance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

benneca1 wrote: »
    Very sensible idea restrictions always only apply to other people.

excuse me i've been cooped up all week, an early hour weekend spin is not going to harm anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Stop being a boll0x for fk sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Actually, rather than just leave it it that, I'll spell something out to you.
    My wife works in a dialysis unit in one of the main hospitals in Dublin. Already they have lost a patient who they've known and had a relationship with for years. It's highly unlikely that they will be the only ones. They also have several staff isolating because of testing positive for the virus.
    She's in there at work in an environment where they don't know if they have enough PPE to protect them and even if they do, will they still pick up the virus? There's also the small matter of her bringing it home to myself and the 2 kids. All 3 of us are asthmatics.

Now, if you believe you are causing no harm to anybody else then that's fine. Some grown adults still believe in fairies. But in the tiny possibility that you do have any accident, where are you headed for? What further unnecessary pressure are you going to be putting on an already struggling health service?
    What fcking excuse do you really have to go and do something that you have been told not to do?

In my humble opinion, anyone who wants to break the rules because they're having a little hissy at being told to stay the fk inside is an utter ....
    That's my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I don't think the moralising and insulting is really helping here, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

LennoxR wrote: »

The guy shouldn't be winding people up in that case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

LennoxR wrote: »
    i agree that it's not 'helping', in that i don't think it's changing people's minds.
    but it's to be expected.

not being out on your bike in a week, or two weeks, is not a sacrifice that someone deserves some sort of respite from or reward for. it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

not being out on your bike in a week, or two weeks, is not a sacrifice that someone deserves some sort of respite from or reward for. it's that simple.

To be fair, there's no way this is all over in two weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true, i was referring to the issue of having had to endure the lockdown for the time we have already.

• Advertisement

excuse me i've been cooped up all week, an early hour weekend spin is not going to harm anyone
    Utterly selfish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement