Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Plenty of cyclist on the skerries/ Balbriggan road this morning not the usual big group but plenty of 2&3s

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Plenty of cyclist on the skerries/ Balbriggan road this morning not the usual big group but plenty of 2&3s

Selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've been doing a lot of volunteer work around Cork City and County over the last two weeks while all this has been going on. Every single day that I'm out I see groups of cyclists, 2-5 of them, out together in bunches going down all types of roads.

It's always frustrating to get stuck behind a group of cyclists on a country road, but now it's even more annoying because those people are not helping to stop the spread.

Stay home for a few weeks, take some time away from the bike and do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have no doubt that the longer the restrictions go on the more cyclists will creep out and go back to their usual spins .Have posted earlier that the optics look bad seeing cyclists in lyra on the road obviously going on about their regular spins .It might provoke a bit of a clamp down .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

benneca1 wrote: »
    Utterly selfish

Why’s that? If it’s within the 2km radius what’s the problem?

People seem to forget that sometimes a cycle/run is a way of battling and helping with mental health issues. There’s a lot of people that don’t live with families, may have lost there jobs and are seeing no form of social interaction whatsoever. I think it’s unfair to say this is selfish when you have no understanding of this persons life.

I’m referring to solo cycling within the 2km radius, group cycling, straying out of the radius I don’t condone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've been doing a lot of volunteer work around Cork City and County over the last two weeks while all this has been going on. Every single day that I'm out I see groups of cyclists, 2-5 of them, out together in bunches going down all types of roads.

It's always frustrating to get stuck behind a group of cyclists on a country road, but now it's even more annoying because those people are not helping to stop the spread.

Stay home for a few weeks, take some time away from the bike and do something else.

Havent seen any groups out cycling, just the odd other solo person. Very disappointed to hear that there are still some going out. You'd wonder what goes through their heads when listening to news or radio, or any kind of media or even see whats going on shops at all, and hear repeated pleas to not do this. Should be reported really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Havent seen any groups out cycling, just the odd other solo person. Very disappointed to hear that there are still some going out. You'd wonder what goes through their heads when listening to news or radio, or any kind of media or even see whats going on shops at all, and hear repeated pleas to not do this. Should be reported really.

Yeah not seen any groups out either.

Was out for a run 2 days ago.
    Saw 3 cyclists in full gear about 30 seconds apart.
    Had a chuckle at the obviousness of it.

However been on the local Facebook group what "a disgrace" all these cyclists are. Decent thread on it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as it stands, the gardai don't yet have the powers to compel you to return home (well, as of thursday anyway)
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0402/1128191-coronavirus-garda-powers/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Been out quite a bit and have to say I’m enjoying the solitude of these solo rides.

Enjoy the solitude while it lasts!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

People seem to forget that sometimes a cycle/run is a way of battling and helping with mental health issues. There’s a lot of people that don’t live with families, may have lost there jobs and are seeing no form of social interaction whatsoever. I think it’s unfair to say this is selfish when you have no understanding of this persons life.

I’m referring to solo cycling within the 2km radius, group cycling, straying out of the radius I don’t condone

In addition to 2km it says 'brief' period of exercise, which is pretty much your own call. I totally agree with the mental health value of cycling outdoors, but personally am limiting it to 30-40 minutes a day.

Accidents and social distancing aside, by actively discussing pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable you encourage others to do the same. As more people do this the negative net effect increases and given we're still a bit away from the peak of this thing in Ireland, I'd guess it would mean even stricter lock downs later on.

My approach is brief daily cycles for the head supplemented by other exercise at home. If your mental health is dependent on longer cycles, I'd recommend looking for some substitutes as this thing is liable to get worse before it gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

While anger is understandable towards people questioning restrictions, in my view questioning the restrictions is a good thing.

There is no doubt people will suffer and die because of the restrictions; our hope in this public health experiment is that we are on right side of scales.

My sister works as a community type nurse, primarily administering drugs to cancer patients. Many of those, and I presume throughout the country, have received letters than their cancer treatment has been cancelled. Is the son/daughter of person after getting one of those letters a cnut for spending an hour on their bike trying to get some headspace?

Domestic violence has increased in jurisdictions with lockdowns; will it be any different here?

The mental health aspect of this crisis could be gigantic. The garden for families of suicide victims beside my house is effectively closed, as is the community workshop. This is in a region with the highest prescription rate for antidepressants and in which the psychiatric hospital was closed during recession.

People awaiting many treatments have their lives on hold, many in pain and more at and increased risk of dying.

Spare a thought for people falling on the wrong side of our blunt instrument, even if it is the best we can do in the circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    As more people do this the negative net effect increases and given we're still a bit away from the peak of this thing in Ireland, I'd guess it would mean even stricter lock downs later on.
    it actually reminds me a little of the anti-vax movement to an extent; refusing to partake in a system that you're actually benefitting from. if only a few people do it, there is probably minimal harm, but if everyone has the same attitude, the harm quickly (and exponentially) increases.

anyway, as i've seen in a few memes, these anti-vaxxers had better stick to their principles and refuse a covid-19 vaccine if and when one becomes available.

Spare a thought for people falling on the wrong side of our blunt instrument, even if it is the best we can do in the circumstances.
    i don't think anyone here is disagreeing with any of that. well, i like to think not anyway.

i would like to think that anyone who *is* going out for rides which ignore the restrictions for genuine mental health reasons isn't sharing it on strava.
    i suspect a lot (not going to make a more specific guess as to the proportion) of the people who are heading out and uploading it to strava are doing so because they simply feel it's of no consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

One of the other possible, long-term negative effects of many cyclists visibly ignoring the restrictions is increased anger directed at them by the general public. There will be long-term consequences for many groups and how they acted during the crisis when it's over. Any goodwill cyclists as a group had could be wiped out, whether it's a minority at it or not.

Something tells me those who've decided to test the restrictions are not exactly group or community minded to begin with.

As for comments about being kind and to avoid moralising. This is exactly the extreme situation that requires a more aggressive kind of reaction. We're talking about saving lives by sensibly restricting movements and being more conscious of ourselves and others. Many of us on this forum have admitted to mental health issues. It's not fun for anyone to be restricted, but there are other ways to working on your mental wellness. Most importantly, your mental wellness does not supersede someone's life, no matter how unlikely you feel that your actions would bring that result about.

And with that extra bit of moralising, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

It's good to see some sensible posts. Basically the reason for not getting kitted out and going on long spins is to set a good example, so that more people are influenced to follow the directives. I support this.

However it is becoming a thing now (on here anyway) where people are projecting their fears and anger onto other people in kind of bandwagon effect. 'Selfish 'cnut' f*ckers etc'. This is known as scapegoating, I believe, and is not helpful to anyone. E.g. the post above appears to blame someone going for a cycle for his partner not being properly equipped with PPE. How does this add up?

Cycling solo does not spread contagion and the chances of an accident requiring hospitalisation, while real, are very low. On the other hand, this lockdown, where many people are stuck at home, on their own, worrying about older relatives, and heir own livelihoods, does have a mental health cost. The situation is not normal. I don't see a thing wrong with people going out on short spins to alleviate this for a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

LennoxR wrote: »
    It's good to see some sensible posts. Basically the reason for not getting kitted out and going on long spins is to set a good example, so that more people are influenced to follow the directives. I support this.

However it is becoming a thing now (on here anyway) where people are projecting their fears and anger onto other people in kind of bandwagon effect. 'Selfish 'cnut' f*ckers etc'. This is known as scapegoating, I believe, and is not helpful to anyone. E.g. the post above appears to blame someone going for a cycle for his partner not being properly equipped with PPE. How does this add up?

Cycling solo does not spread contagion and the chances of an accident requiring hospitalisation, while real, are very low. On the other hand, this lockdown, where many people are stuck at home, on their own, worrying about older relatives, and heir own livelihoods, does have a mental health cost. The situation is not normal. I don't see a thing wrong with people going out on short spins to alleviate this for a time.

So, in essence, what you're saying is that your knowledge of the world, and understanding of it, puts you in a position to better decide how we should or should not act in a pandemic, than the powers that be who have enacted the 2km resrtiction. That's pretty much how your post reads.

Secondly, no, that's not scapegoating. Scapegoating is blaming one person for the actions of another. We're targeting people for their own actions. Are we talking about projection and blame shifting maybe?

Oh, sorry, I said I was out. I'm out this time, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

So, in essence, what you're saying is that your knowledge of the world, and understanding of it, puts you in a position to better decide how we should or should not act in a pandemic, than the powers that be who have enacted the 2km resrtiction. That's pretty much how your post reads.

Secondly, no, that's not scapegoating. Scapegoating is blaming one person for the actions of another. We're targeting people for their own actions. Are we talking about projection and blame shifting maybe?

Yeah that's what I was getting at, alright, thank you. Where did I say not to obey the 2 km restriction?

People above, blaming cyclists for spreading contagion, and medical staff not being properly equipped: does this add up to you definition of scapegoating or not? Are either of these valid criticisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah not seen any groups out either.

Was out for a run 2 days ago.
    Saw 3 cyclists in full gear about 30 seconds apart.
    Had a chuckle at the obviousness of it.

The obviousness of what. Can you explain?

I’ve no idea what these guys were up to but it is possible to wear cycling gear and stay within 2 km. Not every cyclist is breaking the rules.

It’s getting like if you want to go for a brief spin within 2km that you have to go out in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

smacl wrote: »
    In addition to 2km it says 'brief' period of exercise, which is pretty much your own call. I totally agree with the mental health value of cycling outdoors, but personally am limiting it to 30-40 minutes a day.

Accidents and social distancing aside, by actively discussing pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable you encourage others to do the same. As more people do this the negative net effect increases and given we're still a bit away from the peak of this thing in Ireland, I'd guess it would mean even stricter lock downs later on.

My approach is brief daily cycles for the head supplemented by other exercise at home. If your mental health is dependent on longer cycles, I'd recommend looking for some substitutes as this thing is liable to get worse before it gets better.

I've found walking to be as good if not better than cycling for that post exercise 'feel good' factor. I felt it necessary last year to shed some excess weight and engaged in daily walks in the 2.5 to 5 mile (4-8 km) range. Time wise you're looking at a modest 45 minutes to 1.5 hours max so no big deal.

If cyclists are looking for alternative exercise and are tempted to give it a go, I would suggest listening to some of your favourite music as it helps to distract from the actual walking which some will find boring. The wallpaper when cycling moves much faster and is generally more interesting than the dull suburban surrounds.

Oddly enough, due to this 'harpooning' of 70 plus year olds, I'm managing 2 - 3 mile walks around the back garden in all sorts of circles round shrubs and trees etc., and along with dumbbells, press ups, step ups, I feel fine from both the physical and mental health point of view with rosy red cheeks to boot !

Let's all remember to keep doing our bit to flatten the curve !

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Close the shops, people go walking on public rights of way. Close those, people go to the park. Close those, people get their bikes out. It's a molewhack.

The reason for the 2km restriction is to make going out less appealing. Yes, it's crap. That's the point! So you don't bother.

If I didn't have the 2km restriction I'd be up in the hills. As it is I'm working my way up to a turbo spin in the garden because it's more appealing than going up and down the hill outside my house.

The fundamental issue is that in many places, there just isn't the space for people to be all out at the same time. We have planned and architected our shared spaces around our social nature. Case in point: Dublin mountains. Dense spruce forest (don't get me started) with car parks all linked together by skinny trails for walking on. We're just not set up for this!

The funniest lack-of-awareness posts on social media are when people say "since they closed the X I go there and it's really quiet, so what's the problem?". Eh, you are. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

i don't think anyone here is disagreeing with any of that. well, i like to think not anyway.

i would like to think that anyone who *is* going out for rides which ignore the restrictions for genuine mental health reasons isn't sharing it on strava.
    i suspect a lot (not going to make a more specific guess as to the proportion) of the people who are heading out and uploading it to strava are doing so because they simply feel it's of no consequence.

It could be people who post their ride on Strava etc. see it as a good chance to get a lot of kudos.

I'm finding audiobooks great when out for a walk. Currently listening to The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Probably not the best choice in the times we find ourselves :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm finding audiobooks great when out for a walk. Currently listening to The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Probably not the best choice in the times we find ourselves :D

Great book but it is dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I don’t see what the issue is with anyone going for a short spin within their zone, if anything it’s good for ones health and well-being. I

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

as it stands, the gardai don't yet have the powers to compel you to return home (well, as of thursday anyway)
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0402/1128191-coronavirus-garda-powers/

Met a very frustrated guard in Enniskerry village this morning (its within my 2km and I had my licence to prove it). Complained about attitude of cyclists and them lying about their addresses and routes. Can only be a matter of time before they are given powers of arrest for 2km breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Met a very frustrated guard in Enniskerry village this morning (its within my 2km and I had my licence to prove it). Complained about attitude of cyclists and them lying about their addresses and routes. Can only be a matter of time before they are given powers of arrest for 2km breaches.

They should just confiscate the bikes and let them walk home in their cleats. It's less than 2km, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I’m referring to solo cycling within the 2km radius, group cycling, straying out of the radius I don’t condone[/QUOTE

Like I said its simple the rules only apply to other people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

15 aps this morning of a route about 2km from the house.
    Wasn't the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This will bring a lump to your throat

This is today's (?) cover of Het Nieuwsblad in Belgium.

The Tour of Flanders was to take place tomorrow, and would have gone up the Koppenberg. Supporters have been out painting names on the climbs, but for each cyclists (sur)name, has substituted the first name of a healthcare worker.

The main headline reads "No heroes on the bike, but we do have the heroes who work in health care" and the sub-head says: "Thank you to our rescuers and everyone who works for others. You are Flanders' most beautiful"

EUwG3UQWAAIDhC9?format=jpg&name=large

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement