Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee wrote: »
    Also seeing a lot of kids learning to drive, load of cars driving strangely in the middle of the road or stalling with a young driver and presumably a parent beside them. I'd say the parental blood pressure is through the roof :pac:
    we were out in the car the other day and saw what looked like someone getting a talking to at a garda checkpoint - L plate on the car, with a young lad at the wheel and an older person - parent, presumably - in the passenger seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've lost two of my limited number of KOM's in the past few days. Feckers with nothing better to do than do lap after lap until they've nailed it. Shouldn't be allowed during the lockdown. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gardai are to be given the legal powers to enforce lockdown this evening, i suspect in anticipation of the easter weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

buffalo wrote: »
    It's hilarious how much joggers are the new cyclists:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/struggling-to-combat-covid-19-1.4222366

"Joggers are breaking the rules! They should wear hi-viz! Don't jog on the footpath! Don't block the traffic on the road!"

I’m surprised at the lack of common sense. If there’s two people walking running together the person moving towards oncoming traffic should step onto the road.

Where there’s a path either side of the road. They should make them directional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've lost two of my limited number of KOM's in the past few days. Feckers with nothing better to do than do lap after lap until they've nailed it. Shouldn't be allowed during the lockdown. :D

Thanks for the inspiration! Might do that this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

The Taoiseach said pretty much the opposite yesterday, that the general public is exercising cop on:

But no cop on when exercising, as seems to be the experience on the ground and certainly of the contributors to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Tim76 wrote: »
    But no cop on when exercising, as seems to be the experience on the ground and certainly of the contributors to this thread.

I would disagree I follow plenty of cyclists on strava and the overwhelming majority are exercising sensibly. I’ve only noticed one break the 2km rule and that was someone running.

Loads taking to their turbos and some seem to have taken a break or turned to running.

I have noticed a small few out for over 2 hours which is not my understanding of brief and don’t feel it’s good form out of anyone to be putting in big mileage under the guidelines regardless of being within 2km from home. Of course it’s been left to personal judgement on that one, in my opinion anything over an hour is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hopefully cyclists over the next few days keep it brief and local and don't turn up in droves at the usual popular places .It will mean all cycling will get targeted if the police see too many clearly well away from home .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm actually seeing more runners pushing the 2km than cyclists in my strava feed to be honest. Close to unfollowing a few to be honest, as it's irritating me. They seem to be taking it as once they start from home it doesn't matter. Only real exceptions for cyclists are "essential" workers now doing long commutes on the bike.

I'm happy with my walks tbh, but I do accept it's a bit easier in a rural location, and most of my "training" is indoors anyway so it's probably not as mentally hard for me either. Not that I don't miss getting out, but I've never been anti-turbo.

I could have quite a challenging loop all within 2km, but I'd still be concerned about coming off. Also, my experience with those cars that are on the roads hasn't been that great - definitely assuming clear roads/ no cops and therefore flooring it. Had a few close passes walking with the children!

I am getting fed up with the commentary about "cyclists" though. I mean Wicklow Co Co has had to close pretty much all car parking anywhere near walks/ beaches, and some roads. Presumably to stop all the "motorists", but that doesn't get the negative commentary that a single idiot on a bike does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I am getting fed up with the commentary about "cyclists" though. I mean Wicklow Co Co has had to close pretty much all car parking anywhere near walks/ beaches, and some roads. Presumably to stop all the "motorists", but that doesn't get the negative commentary that a single idiot on a bike does.

Maybe it's because I mainly rely on the Irish Times and RTE but I have seen far less cyclist bashing than normal. I have been watching out for it and dreading the usual anti-bike vitriol in the comments, but the main focus seems to be on those with holiday homes driving to remote locations and infecting the locals.

On the issue of people posting up big rides on Strava, it really would make you question the character of those involved and whether you could still regard them as friends once club spins eventually resume. Bad enough pushing the boundary of "brief" to two hours plus but also effectively bragging about it, encouraging others to do the same and expecting kudos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Should read the journal. There was an article about new garda powers recently and every comment under the article was about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Stark wrote: »
    Should read the journal. There was an article about new garda powers recently and every comment under the article was about cyclists.
    Maybe another good reason not to read the Journal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Listening to various phone shows over the last couple of weeks i heard little or no cyclist bashing when the subject of time out for exercise came up .Very surprising i thought as thats not the norm when any road matters are talked about .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Piece with Drew Harris on RTE website where he specifically refers to cycling beyond the 2km limit:
    He said gardaí were also seeing cyclists going further than 2km from their homes to exercise and said that had to stop.

Regarding the muppets who have already decamped to holiday homes, it sounds like the script is that now they're there, they're going to have to stay there.

Full article: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129218-coronavirus-legislation/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I hope thats true because they are truly fecked if they left all their WFH stuff at their residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Stark wrote: »

The comments section in The Journal is one of those paradoxical things. How can people with such low intellect actually read and write?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hollowlands

Have noticed a few people on strava based in Derry coming out doing 3-4 hour rides around donegal. Including one who puts the virus emoji in every title and comments like "there is no border checks" and "clipped in not locked in"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Have noticed a few people on strava based in Derry coming out doing 3-4 hour rides around donegal. Including one who puts the virus emoji in every title and comments like "there is no border checks" and "clipped in not locked in"

Garda Commissioner has called for public to make Gardaí aware of breaches, see https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129218-coronavirus-legislation/ These sound like ideal candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

JMcL wrote: »
    Piece with Drew Harris on RTE website where he specifically refers to cycling beyond the 2km limit:

Regarding the muppets who have already decamped to holiday homes, it sounds like the script is that now they're there, they're going to have to stay there.

Full article: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129218-coronavirus-legislation/

I read this earlier myself and I also took from it that it's perfectly acceptable, in the eyes of the Gardai, to cycle within a 2km loop. Perhaps not for 3 or 4 hours (or 6 as I saw from one joker :rolleyes:) but acceptable nonetheless.

If he'd said that last week it would have taken about 10 pages off this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

On a positive type question - where do you miss the most?

In the past I have done sportiffs all over the country but now I either try Audux type rides or solo spins when exploring the country and for me I am looking most forward to spending a sunny day cycling around the Iveragh Peninsula in Kerry, did a lovely 200km route there a few years back and once its safe again I think that's where I'll be going (maybe not 200km straight away though!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, this has probably been asked a 1000 times, but am I correct that if I stay within the 2km radius, I can still go for cycle? In other words, I can map out a loop and cycle within that for a few laps?

Or is that wrong, especially in the light of new Garda powers?

Sorry for the dumb question, but there's a lot of conflicting info floating around.

You can do a few loops within 2km of your home as 'brief' exercise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In the past I have done sportiffs all over the country but now I either try Audux type rides or solo spins when exploring the country and for me I am looking most forward to spending a sunny day cycling around the Iveragh Peninsula in Kerry, did a lovely 200km route there a few years back and once its safe again I think that's where I'll be going (maybe not 200km straight away though!!!)

The routes I miss most are my regular lunch time and early morning ones. In around Cruagh, Masseys, Hellfire, Glencullen, Featherbeds, Glassamucky and Bohernabreena. Also on weekends like this the Sally and Wicklow gaps and backroads around Laragh and Rathdrum. Would usually get down to Clare over Easter and include bit of cycling there which will also be missed.

Not a huge problem really, they'll all still be there once this thing blows over though with the weight creeping up may be a bit tough for the first couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, this has probably been asked a 1000 times, but am I correct that if I stay within the 2km radius, I can still go for cycle? In other words, I can map out a loop and cycle within that for a few laps?

Or is that wrong, especially in the light of new Garda powers?

Sorry for the dumb question, but there's a lot of conflicting info floating around.

Yes, as long as it is 'brief' and and you observe the social distancing guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Yes, as long as it is 'brief' and and you observe the social distancing guidelines.

On to the mountain bike today straight after work for a 20 min spin. Not enough to keep the belly in check but it was glorious being out in the fresh air after a day working on the computer looking out at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hesker wrote: »
    On to the mountain bike today straight after work for a 20 min spin. Not enough to keep the belly in check but it was glorious being out in the fresh air after a day working on the computer looking out at it.

I don't think I have enjoy my commute more than I have at the minute, 6 hours alone in a lab and it is glorious to just hear wind and the buzz of the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

buffalo wrote: »
    Thanks for the inspiration! Might do that this weekend.

Went out this evening, first spin outside since the lockdown started. Such a beautiful spring evening.
    Brief exercise, 9.5km, 17 minutes.
    There's a 5km loop just outside the door and one of my best buddies has the KOM.

Had the KOM.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

In Republic of Ireland, this type of cycling is not allowed and not socially acceptable. Those cyclists need to stay away from the Republic of Ireland border. Northern Ireland cyclists should not be spreading their disease in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

obeXjmv.jpg

On the Rebel tour a few years back on the road to Allihies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

That's what Allihies looks like. I did the Rebel Tour in 2018. 8 hours of relentless rain. I must do again some time in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement