Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you do know that as soon as the restrictions lift, it's going to start raining for six months?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

you do know that as soon as the restrictions lift, it's going to start raining for six months?

I've 2 shakedry jackets hanging in my warddrobe that have never been worn.

Bring the rain I say!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought that mavic rainproof jobbie off humphries when derek had it on sale, likewise never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Always look on the bright side. As we’re all cycling indoors from now on... you don’t have to shave your legs! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's really weird since I started using zwift. My legs look like those of a Belgian cycling god. Unfortunately, above the waist it's less god like and more like I am building layers for a long hibernation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gardai appear to be getting stricter alright. Up to now they've either waved me through or told me to keep going when I went to get my papers out of my backpack. Tonight a 4 man checkpoint did a full check of my documents including asking me where I lived and what time I had finished work at. Presumably they were suspicious of cyclists taking the long way home.
    I've had only one wet commute since it began.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I have a route that is 2kms from my house in a straight line (radius 2kms). But by road it would take me 2.8kms at its farthest point to get home. Is this acceptable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Scoondal wrote: »
    I have a route that is 2kms from my house in a straight line (radius 2kms). But by road it would take me 2.8kms at its farthest point to get home. Is this acceptable ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hollowlands

In Republic of Ireland, this type of cycling is not allowed and not socially acceptable. Those cyclists need to stay away from the Republic of Ireland border. Northern Ireland cyclists should not be spreading their disease in our country.

Saw one yesterday where a guy has gone from Derry to buncrana and back. 30km, 2 hour ride. And get this - he has the "#stayhome It could save lives" on his Strava profile picture. Couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Saw one yesterday where a guy has gone from Derry to buncrana and back. 30km, 2 hour ride. And get this - he has the "#stayhome It could save lives" on his Strava profile picture. Couldn't make it up

They live in a parallel universe ... or a parallel country.
    We have different laws as of today in The Republic of Ireland.
    ( But when racing starts up again the nordies will be winning everything )

• Advertisement

interesting that at the top of this article, they point out that anyone can publish on this site, and that articles are not all fact checked.
    with that caveat in mind:

Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you can not walk/run/bike close to each other.
    https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

this stands in a little contrast to this article, which suggests that it's social gatherings which have been the main vector:

The cluster effect: how social gatherings were rocket fuel for coronavirus
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/the-cluster-effect-how-social-gatherings-were-rocket-fuel-for-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

interesting that at the top of this article, they point out that anyone can publish on this site, and that articles are not all fact checked.
    with that caveat in mind:

Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you can not walk/run/bike close to each other.
    https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

Medium isn't a medical site and isn't fact checked in the slightest.

Most of my exposure to it has been reading articles by tech workers using it to grow their profiles. In fact the last Covid-19 article I read on medium was from a tech worker turned armchair epidemiologist.

Probably should say last article before this one as this author profile looks similar:
    Entrepreneur, building clouds in all forms and shapes and life-long athlete.

They live in a parallel universe ... or a parallel country.
    We have different laws as of today in The Republic of Ireland.
    ( But when racing starts up again the nordies will be winning everything )

Not if our incredible level of Zwift racers with incredible power don't crash and take them down first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Stark wrote: »
    Medium isn't a medical site and isn't fact checked in the slightest.

Most of my exposure to it has been reading articles by tech workers using it to grow their profiles. In fact the last Covid-19 article I read on medium was from a tech worker turned armchair epidemiologist.

Probably should say last article before this one as this author profile looks similar:

They muddy the waters by posting articles by respected scientists. But then you will find other articles that are complete BS.
    They also have a paywall that kicks in after x number of articles read.

Stark wrote: »
    yeah, there's quite a few people i've seen who have adopted the 'aha! i understand exponential growth behaviour! IT IS MY TIME TO SHINE!' on social media.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Medium is a blogging platform, not a publication. There is no "they" as such.

That article from Medium was on the VRT news yesterday, the flemish national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Is this real? Thanks

Is this real? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^
    I sincerely hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks fake. No Strava athlete by the name of "Covid response", at least none you can search for.

Hopefully he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and is at home sweating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bullvine wrote: »
    Is this real? Thanks

Yea completely....:rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/DansLaMusette/status/1240614706865491970

Funny though

Stopped 3 times on the way home tonight, will be back to cycling tomorrow. I really hope they are fining the messers.

While cycling home from (essential) work tonight I saw three cyclists in hi viz but without lights cycling towards me on the Rathmore Road in Lusk. It was only when I got closer that I realised that they were Gardai. They seem to take a very close interest in me as we nearer each other but I was disappointed they didn't turn around in pursuit. I'd have enjoyed giving them a workout. "Sorry Garda, I didn't realise you were trying to catch me".

(I would have thought Garda bikes would come with lights fitted?)

'sorry garda, i thought you were just being a wheelsucker'.

I omitted to say they were 3 abreast also! :eek::)

I'd say the jury is still out as to whether this is deemed 'essential' bike travel. It's a pretty impressive distance for a shift of delivering food all the same.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3244409912

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd say the jury is still out as to whether this is deemed 'essential' bike travel. It's a pretty impressive distance for a shift of delivering food all the same.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3244409912

Deliveroo couriers like this are essential for restaurants selling takeout food, from what I understand it is considered similar to supermarket deliveries of groceries.

I'm sure many other holes could be picked in these food delivery companies, however it's like I said above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement