Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I don't think the Giro will start anyplace.

Where did you read about Paris-Nice?
    Cycling News are saying, it will finish tomorrow.

Sorry read the tweet wrong earlier and took it that the article was talking about todays stage it was finishing after but its tomorrows as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Will be off work for forseeable. Two friends want to meet up for spins. Is this irresponsible in the current situation? Serious question.

One, I have a mild cold so may leave phlegm (I'd take a tissue etc, but you know how it gets when cycling). And two should we be meeting people at all if we don't have to?

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

LennoxR wrote: »
    Will be off work for forseeable. Two friends want to meet up for spins. Is this irresponsible in the current situation? Serious question.

One, I have a mild cold so may leave phlegm (I'd take a tissue etc, but you know how it gets when cycling). And two should we be meeting people at all if we don't have to?

What do people think?

Only you can make that decision, but if it was me, I wouldn’t go if you even think you have symptoms!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Only you can make that decision, but if it was me, I wouldn’t go if you even think you have symptoms!

Yeah. I've decided not to go. I don't have any symptoms, fever, cough etc of covid19. Just a runny nose. But still.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Personally I'm not going out in company, mainly for others you may come in contact with rather than yourself, you will be fine I suspect. I can't imagine social distancing out on a spin with friends. The need for chat and shelter is far too great! Plus I'm snotty on the bike at the best of times. I'm currently trying to work out the handiest place to put a microfibre cloth/hankie. I'm plumping for between sleeve and glove currently!

Solo spins for the foreseeable is the safest thing to do IMO.

We'll all just have to ignore ourselves if we come upon each other out on a spin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Cycling Ireland have now advised all clubs to cancel planned training and leisure spins until 29 March. A lot of clubs had anticipated this and had already cancelled events.
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-statement-coronavirus-covid-19-updated/27486?fbclid=IwAR2FPx42gjli38XXXRjGJ_MTEZJx6u20XcOKQFTy6OLMkkY64ZrkV43v4nk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've planned to cycle with one lad tomorrow and I'm happy to do so but 2 max isy comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

dahat wrote: »
    I've planned to cycle with one lad tomorrow and I'm happy to do so but 2 max isy comfort zone.

A good incentive to do all the work and let him suck your wheel😉

A good incentive to do all the work and let him suck your wheel😉

Pretty much how I roll anyway!!

dahat wrote: »
    Pretty much how I roll anyway!!

When you coming up to Dublin?!

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    When you coming up to Dublin?!

🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

a148pro wrote: »
    I foolishly thought this would be a thread about how much cycling we could do when the country shut down!
    Cycling has become a huge distraction and a life saver for us. New baby in the house and the older kids are climbing the walls, so long cycles to the beach, skids, bunny hops, wheelies and wheelspins are keeping the over 5's (and dad) fit, distracted and happy.

But, as pointed out in another thread, there's a lot of angry and panicky drivers out there desperate to hit the shops for their toilet roll and pot noodle fix. Red light jumping had hit a new high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Good call from CI to advise on the situation.

A lot of clubs will split up the numbers on spins or cancel them completely, though I would say a lot of people will group up and do their own thing...though you are risking someone absent mindedly spitting or snotting if cycling beside you, and if they are an asymptomatic carrier of the virus... well... that's a high risk... though a Professor?Doctor on the Late late show just said running around with a group of 10 in a field with a hurley and a ball is just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

[HTML][/HTML]
    LennoxR wrote: »
    Yeah. I've decided not to go. I don't have any symptoms, fever, cough etc of covid19. Just a runny nose. But still.

Saw this linked on TrainerRoad and think it’s worthwhile for as many people as possible to read when trying to make these kind of decisions. Good to be informed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/oct/17/bikes-cars-cyclists-clever-protest-riga-latvia

Expecting to see this on our club spin for the foreseeable future

Out for a spin (microfibre dishcloth as hankie, worked well!) and I have never, not on the sunniest of summer evenings, Saturdays or Sundays seen as many people around Cruagh, and the way onto the Wicklow way there where the road from Glencullen meets Cruagh road. Cars parked for at least a kilometre at both spots, carpark at Cruagh must have been packed. I have never come across as many people on a spin up the mountains ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

eeeee wrote: »
    Out for a spin (microfibre dishcloth as hankie, worked well!) and I have never, not on the sunniest of summer evenings, Saturdays or Sundays seen as many people around Cruagh, and the way onto the Wicklow way there where the road from Glencullen meets Cruagh road. Cars parked for at least a kilometre at both spots, carpark at Cruagh must have been packed. I have never come across as many people on a spin up the mountains ever!

I was out running over the hills (solo). Massive numbers of people out. Quite a few large groups, including one large group of elderly walkers. Lots of people off message for sure. Couldn't believe the number of cars parked at Tibradden woods. Also not sure I've ever seen so many in mid summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

SERC 3 peaks is cancelled, along with all club spins.

I'm just doing solo spins in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

We will probably see new cyclist commuters on the roads next week. People choosing to hop on their bike, or their kids bikes) rather than squeezing onto the Luas/Bus. I will certainly be a little more cautious around other cyclists who may be inexperienced and unpredictable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife being a case in point.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Fian wrote: »
    We will probably see new cyclist commuters on the roads next week. People choosing to hop on their bike, or their kids bikes) rather than squeezing onto the Luas/Bus. I will certainly be a little more cautious around other cyclists who may be inexperienced and unpredictable.

i can see non essential reasons for being outdoors banned altogether. already being enforced in spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

was in local bike shop last week in blanchardstown and heaps of bikes looking like they are been got ready for the commute etc shortly .

I hope I'm not being alarmist, but I would anticipate us being put into total lockdown at some point in the coming weeks. As in Italy and now Spain, where you can't leave the house now except to buy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Enduro wrote: »
    I was out running over the hills (solo). Massive numbers of people out. Quite a few large groups, including one large group of elderly walkers. Lots of people off message for sure. Couldn't believe the number of cars parked at Tibradden woods. Also not sure I've ever seen so many in mid summer.

Absolute idiots. It seems some people have zero sense of social responsibility. These same elderly people will possibly be left to die by health care workers having to make rough choices in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

was in local bike shop last week in blanchardstown and heaps of bikes looking like they are been got ready for the commute etc shortly .

Much more preferable to use a bike now, and avoid the risk of catching the corona virus on packed public transport. A no brainer in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If I leave my house in the suburbs in and spend a few a.m. hours in the Dublin mountains on my bike with nothing but the wind and the heather for company am I endangering mine one or the public health in any way?

Would a lockdown preclude such an activity?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fat bloke wrote: »
    If I leave my house in the suburbs in and spend a few a.m. hours in the Dublin mountains on my bike with nothing but the wind and the heather for company am I endangering mine one or the public health in any way?

Depends on the lockdown and what they preclude. Are you endangering yourself or anyone else, unless loads are at it or you crash, then no. I imagine a mid level lockdown is imminent. They gave people the chance to be smart, and we clearly couldn't. Next I imagine pubs, cafes and anywhere that hosts social gatherings to shut down. A full lock down will be tough, both to enforce and control, and if people start to grasp the point, maybe unnecessary.

fat bloke wrote: »

No probably not. But I can tell you from speaking to friends in Italy that this is not permitted there. You can't even go for a walk at the moment. You're given a piece of paper giving you permission to go out to buy food and if you're caught out for any other reason, you get fined by the police.

We may be in the same boat soon enough. It seems excessive but if it saves lives then it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree with a partial lockdown, i.e. close venues where larger groups of people gather socially, when alcohol is involved people forget to wash hands and keep a distance between the next person...

Also I seen on Facebook where the Coffee shops out in Enniskerry were jammed with cyclists..

Though what I think should happen for the coffee shops is they limit the numbers allowed in at a time, 3 at most, no cash only card...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement