Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I drove from KCR to Blackrock today and saw 10 to 15 cyclists in all their lycra. Not sure what they were up to but hard to believe all were going to/from work - one was a father and son out for a spin.

possibly exercising within the 2km limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Charlie69 wrote: »
    An endurance cyclist I follow (used to follow) on strava did almost five hours on the bike today (within 2km ). Some people still not getting it.

Are they based in the midlands??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I drove from KCR to Blackrock today and saw 10 to 15 cyclists in all their lycra. Not sure what they were up to but hard to believe all were going to/from work - one was a father and son out for a spin.

Also saw family picnics in parks around D6.

Most people get the message and adhere, there will always be some selfish pricks I suppose.

I ride my bike within my 2k zone and I wear full lycra, wearing kit specific to the activity you're taking isn't an indicator of illegality, it just means you're comfortable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Charlie69 wrote: »
    An endurance cyclist I follow (used to follow) on strava did almost five hours on the bike today (within 2km ). Some people still not getting it.
    EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    Are they based in the midlands??
    Co Offaly methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Co Offaly methinks.

Indeed! A man with such a big influence amongst cyclists should be setting a better example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Most people get the message and adhere, there will always be some selfish pricks I suppose.

Was your journey necessary? Not sure what you were up to? Were you wearing 'Car Journey' appropriate clothing? Please clarify. You may be giving Drivers a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

daragh_ wrote: »
    Was your journey necessary? Not sure what you were up to? Were you wearing 'Car Journey' appropriate clothing? Please clarify. You may be giving Drivers a bad name.

Yes, it was necessary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wear lycra on my essential commute, I see a few others who over the years I know work in Pharmacies, RTE, labs and hospitals. Maybe you were just close to town where your more likely to meet a larger group. St. James isn't exactly far from there for example.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wear lycra on my essential commute, I see a few others who over the years I know work in Pharmacies, RTE, labs and hospitals. Maybe you were just close to town where your more likely to meet a larger group. St. James isn't exactly far from there for example.

Fair point, the father and son one though, that annoyed me. I'd love to be out with my son, but I dont think it's right, so we have stopped. Even within 2km. I'm fairly sure some are taking the piss, picnic goers are the same too, it's not all about cyclists. But lots of defensive people here I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Fair point, the father and son one though, that annoyed me. I'd love to be out with my son, but I dont think it's right, so we have stopped. Even within 2km. I'm fairly sure some are taking the piss, picnic goers are the same too, it's not all about cyclists. But lots of defensive people here I suppose.

If they are exercising within 2km they are totally within their right to be out cycling, even if you don't think it's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What exact part of the above in bold was illegal? Or did you make assumptions?

VonLuck wrote: »
    If they are exercising within 2km they are totally within their right to be out cycling, even if you don't think it's right.

They are within their right, yes. Good on them, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sure. Good to get exercise.

Do you think the rules allowing people to go 2km for exercise are a bit generous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Good few cyclists going solo around Dublin 15 the last few days no harm to me at all in fact the footpaths are a lot more congested with walkers joggers and dogs and kids on various bikes and toy cars etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was out for a walk with my current wife and Bruce this morning.
    We met three cyclists on the Drogheda- Duleek road, cycling together, All lycra'd, one in White River Wheelers club gear, one in Asea Team gear and one generic. They seemed to be moving sweetly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I bring both my boys out for a cycle every second day. We go for a walk every other day. It's inside the 2km, it's brief (less than an hour), we are from the same family, so socially distancing together, and it does everyone's head good. I'm not in breach of any of the guidelines that have been set out.

Having said that, we're not wearing lycra, so maybe we're ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Without mentioning the club well done to the prominent south Dublin lads in full club gear cycling around Blessington today. I’m assuming most clubs have (indeed our local one has) issued a notice to their members about complying with the restrictions. Certainly doesn’t put the club in a good light. Nor did the snot rocket one of them let out as they turned the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

gmacww wrote: »
    Without mentioning the club well done to the prominent south Dublin lads in full club gear cycling around Blessington today. I’m assuming most clubs have (indeed our local one has) issued a notice to their members about complying with the restrictions. Certainly doesn’t put the club in a good light. Nor did the snot rocket one of them let out as they turned the corner.
    Being a member of a south Dublin cycling club doesn't not mean ones lives in South Dublin.

Wearing club gear seems utterly daft not to mention more than likely totally ignoring the limits out there will surely draw attention to themselves . Really cycling at this time should be a bit more low key to avoid any attention I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Wearing club gear seems utterly daft not to mention more than likely totally ignoring the limits out there will surely draw attention to themselves . Really cycling at this time should be a bit more low key to avoid any attention I think .

This ok?

• Advertisement

Yes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Being a member of a south Dublin cycling club doesn't not mean ones lives in South Dublin.

Very true but when you see them again later on their way through Tallaght think it’s fair to say even if local they weren’t within a reasonable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Phoenix Park was thronged this morning. I don't know what it is normally like on a Saturday so I can't compare but I was taken aback with the numbers there. Disappointing to see hundreds of car parked along the locked gates - obviously lots of people have driven there to exercise which goes against the spirit of the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I saw the Gardaí had two stopped out at the bridge, by the boat club. Note book was out, hopefully fines to follow.

Very true but when you see them again later on their way through Tallaght think it’s fair to say even if local they weren’t within a reasonable distance.

I'm sure the defensive types around here can come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for that.

The fact is there is a minority of people ignoring/flouting the directives. Not just cyclists, as I pointed out, but largely is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Just saw this on Twitter, maybe a conscious effort to deter

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1248940643893854212

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First of all, how are they wearing jackets on a day like today, and second of all, stop explaining, start fining. I was always against mandatory ID but at this point a utility bill to prove address or a letter from work +ID should be required for the next 3 months. This warning rubbish is clearly not working for some. 2500euro out of their pocket might.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Got stopped by Garda on Collins Ave when I was doing laps within my 2k boundary
    No prob at all with the young lad - he must've got tired of saying hello to me by lap 4 though as they'd legged it at that stage

CramCycle wrote: »
    First of all, how are they wearing jackets on a day like today, and second of all, stop explaining, start fining. I was always against mandatory ID but at this point a utility bill to prove address or a letter from work +ID should be required for the next 3 months. This warning rubbish is clearly not working for some. 2500euro out of their pocket might.

Crush their bikes too, make 'em walk home!

• Advertisement

It's certainly a fairly pointless restriction. Any risk from cycling that applies outside the 2km radius applies inside the 2km radius. I looks like the 2km radius was set to stop people driving to the beach or the forest. All they had to do really was to close the car parks and police it properly for a change.

Couldn't agree more, i'd luv nothing more than to be able to legally cycle to Ticknock and back(40km) return spin....but can't even cycle to Bull island... ridiculous!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement