Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's certainly a fairly pointless restriction. Any risk from cycling that applies outside the 2km radius applies inside the 2km radius. I looks like the 2km radius was set to stop people driving to the beach or the forest. All they had to do really was to close the car parks and police it properly for a change.

You think? The point is not to stop people from driving to beach or forest. They are trying to get people to stay at home. It's a simple as that. The clue is in the messaging:

"Everyone is urged to stay in their home wherever possible until 5 May. Staying at home is the best way to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to your friends, families and communities."

To stay at home is what we're being asked to do, in case that isn't clear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But imagine all the people who will take up cycling if they are told they can go wherever they want to get round restrictions. Considering the numbers who seem to have taken it up in the past fortnight, who are beyond comprehension in regards their attitude to anyone else. They are as bad as the new jogger crowd.

Bet that guy on the Cervelo was heading for the sea there too by the looks of it :rolleyes:

CramCycle wrote: »
    But imagine all the people who will take up cycling if they are told they can go wherever they want to get round restrictions. Considering the numbers who seem to have taken it up in the past fortnight, who are beyond comprehension in regards their attitude to anyone else. They are as bad as the new jogger crowd.

Exactly. I dont understand how people are calling the 2km restriction "ridiculous". Is that medical/scientific perspective? Or is it that the measures are inconvenient.

I fcking hate the inconvenience of this. I'd love to be on the bike. But if the best thing for the old, the vulnerable, the public, as deemed by the experts is to stay at home then that's what I'll do. And I'm not going to be a dick and do 40kms within 2km of my house. Because that is being a dick. It's not an interpretation of what the Government is asking it's just being a selfish dick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Crush their bikes too, make 'em walk home!
    A nice simple solution, sieze the bike, they can collect from station on payment of fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I know, terrible to think of all those bicycles out on the roads, I mean there's the possibility that they may be combatting some of the main underlying conditions that make the virus potentially fatal, obesity and Cardiovascular disease...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have to say what hammered it home for me the most was seeing the fear in an elderly mans face in Lidl, is 60s even elderly?? I know him from the GAA and he was almost trembling trying to do his shopping, twice I saw him jump when someone stupidly came too close. I said my hellos from a distance and I knew straight away he wasn't even comfortable with that. I hadn't strayed beyond the 2k but after that am even more adamant I or my immediate family wont.

A nice simple solution, sieze the bike, they can collect from station on payment of fine.

If the station the bicycles are taken to is outside the 2km restricted zone, how will they collect their bikes?
    Just hope none of those pictured in that Tweet were on the way to work at a hospital eh? Oops!

I know, terrible to think of all those bicycles out on the roads, I mean there's the possibility that they may be combatting some of the main underlying conditions that make the virus potentially fatal, obesity and Cardiovascular disease...

Jesus, that's good. That's a lovely bit of shaping it right there, haven't seen something as creative as that before. Top marks for you. And the experts are such thick c#nts too, aren't they??!! If only wisdom.lile yours was managing us through this epidemic, we might have amongst the most successful numbers in the western world...oh, wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Phoenix Park was thronged this morning. I don't know what it is normally like on a Saturday so I can't compare but I was taken aback with the numbers there. Disappointing to see hundreds of car parked along the locked gates - obviously lots of people have driven there to exercise which goes against the spirit of the restrictions.

Well that's frustrating. Those idiots are the reason we're all boxed into 2km radii in the first place. Surely the Gardaí could issue parking tickets if they're parked all along the road? Presuming it's either narrow road or bus lane the whole way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Reports on irishcycle.com about health care worker cycling to work being verbally abused by a motorist.

Jesus, that's good. That's a lovely bit of shaping it right there, haven't seen something as creative as that before. Top marks for you. And the experts are such thick c#nts too, aren't they??!! If only wisdom.lile yours was managing us through this epidemic, we might have amongst the most successful numbers in the western world...oh, wait....

Would you like to put your little emotional rant into something we can all understand?

Ah lads will ye stop on the 2k its about elimitinating even the remotest chance you could catch it or spread it that's it. There is no denying if you limit where you travel it limits the virus, I highly doubt any of us here can cycle where no other person be or as been so suck it up and stay local.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tnegun wrote: »
    Ah lads will ye stop on the 2k its about elimitinating even the remotest chance you could catch it or spread it that's it. There is no denying if you limit where you travel it limits the virus, I highly doubt any of us here can cycle where no other person be or as been so suck it up and stay local.

Can you please explain how a 40km done in laps around a heavily populated suburb is less risky than a 20km each way spin on quiet roads?

Some countries making adjustments to road infrastructure to accommodate increased numbers running walking and cycling.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/world-cities-turn-their-streets-over-to-walkers-and-cyclists

EDIT: I was out for a short plod on the bike earlier and I noticed that a 200m stretch of grass between 2 roundabouts that people walk on has now had a path worn into it such is the increase in footfall along it.

Can you please explain how a 40km done in laps around a heavily populated suburb is less risky than a 20km each way spin on quiet roads?

U may be missing the point. One is not legal. One is being done by selfish people.

Stark wrote: »
    Well that's frustrating. Those idiots are the reason we're all boxed into 2km radii in the first place. Surely the Gardaí could issue parking tickets if they're parked all along the road? Presuming it's either narrow road or bus lane the whole way.

No, not really. We're boxed in because we're being asked to stay at home because that is the best way to stop the spread of the virus.

Have to say what hammered it home for me the most was seeing the fear in an elderly mans face in Lidl, is 60s even elderly?? I know him from the GAA and he was almost trembling trying to do his shopping, twice I saw him jump when someone stupidly came too close. I said my hellos from a distance and I knew straight away he wasn't even comfortable with that. I hadn't strayed beyond the 2k but after that am even more adamant I or my immediate family wont.
    There are many things you can do to help your GAA friend.

One option would be to offer to do his shopping for him, so he doesn't have to venture out to Lidl at all.

Another option would be to make sure that you are fit and healthy, so that if you do happen to pick up the virus, you'll get over it quickly and you won't be taking up the ICU bed and ventilator that he is more likely to need. Cycling is a great way to keep you fit and healthy.

The problem is that cycling within a 2km radius is a demotivating factor, so you are less likely to stay fit and healthy.
    U may be missing the point. One is not legal. One is being done by selfish people.
    So there's definitely no difference in the risk of infection then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

The Phoenix Park was thronged this morning. I don't know what it is normally like on a Saturday so I can't compare but I was taken aback with the numbers there. Disappointing to see hundreds of car parked along the locked gates - obviously lots of people have driven there to exercise which goes against the spirit of the restrictions.

I've been there a bit over the last while and was there today and yesterday. It wasn't too bad today, definitely busy but I wasn't concerned about social distancing, more about it possibly being closed down in future. I'd say today will have been the busiest day until june now, weather exceptional and a bank holiday weekend. Doubt it'll be a problem from now on. Lots of cyclists out in gear. The park is such a great asset and there's so many places to go where it's still quiet even on a busy day.

The park rangers were going around in cars asking people who weren't exercising to move on. There were a fair few couples sunbathing and reading. I don't begrudge them that.

Where were the cars parked, up around the Cabra side?

You're not going to pick it up or spread it 20km away is the point, same principal as people going to holiday homes but on a smaller scale. Its all about slowing it down if we all travel less we and take precautions we do that. I get it that the risks are very low but there is a risk none the less so the point is mute.

• Advertisement

There are many things you can do to help your GAA friend.

One option would be to offer to do his shopping for him, so he doesn't have to venture out to Lidl at all.

I've already reached out to the club as I only know the man to see and they're going to check in.

Another option would be to make sure that you are fit and healthy, so that if you do happen to pick up the virus, you'll get over it quickly and you won't be taking up the ICU bed and ventilator that he is more likely to need. Cycling is a great way to keep you fit and healthy.

Its too late for that the virus is here now, no dispute yes cycling is a great way to get fit an healthy but it too late and you're clutching at straws with that argument.

You're not going to pick it up or spread it 20km away is the point, same principal as people going to holiday homes but on a smaller scale. Its all about slowing it down if we all travel less we and take precautions we do that. I get it that the risks are very low but there is a risk none the less so the point is mute.

You can still "legally" spread the virus on your legal 2km from home exercise boundary, multiple laps of a 12.5km area in a heavily populated part of the city would carry more risk, so best just to stay in your living room...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's about limiting the distance it can be spread through unnecessary interaction. We're not all perfect so a certain percentage of the population are going to come in contact with other people while exercising, better that the spread is limited to max 4 km rather than 40.

You can still "legally" spread the virus on your legal 2km from home exercise boundary, multiple laps of a 12.5km area in a heavily populated part of the city would carry more risk, so best just to stay in your living room...

Exactly but its a 2km radius not 20 so limits the speed of the spread, anyway we're way off topic and probably not going to agree so stay safe guys and lets get through this.

Some countries making adjustments to road infrastructure to accommodate increased numbers running walking and cycling.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/world-cities-turn-their-streets-over-to-walkers-and-cyclists
    EDIT: I was out for a short plod on the bike earlier and I noticed that a 200m stretch of grass between 2 roundabouts that people walk on has now had a path worn into it such is the increase in footfall along it.

Yet in Ireland there's been no change, speed limits are the same, cycling for fitness is more or less banned, can't say I've seen a Gard checking speed in my area, and people out walking as you say are walking on the side of the roads in areas where no footpaths exist..very dangerous..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Would like to start a lobby for a change to the current Covid 19 exercise restrictions. Not sure how to do this but a more vocal social media presence would likely help. If your club is generally up for a change, a facebook post of some version of the text below would be a start. I would however suggest keeping the

"exercise must be started and finished from your place of residence and observe social distancing guidelines"

clause so there is at least a consistent change suggestion put out there.

I sounded this out in my own club 2 weeks ago but most were unwilling to take the step. I realise it is hard to go against the flow but I do believe that (like most things) if a few clubs post, others will soon follow. If the people who would benefit most from this change will not speak up for themselves, nobody else will.

MYCLUB strongly agreed with previous Covid-19 measures. Club spins were cancelled at an early stage and members encouraged to cycle on their own with enough food and water to enable completion without stopping. This created a low risk cycling environment with strict adherence to social distancing guidelines.

We are however disappointed with the 2km ruling. While this may provide adequate exercise for some, for others it effectively means a temporary end to outdoor activities. We would have preferred a more flexible wording such as "exercise must be started and finished from your place of residence and observe social distancing guidelines". We do not see any positives in this particular ruling for the following reasons:

1. During non stop solo cycling or running, there is almost zero risk of transmission.

2. While it is recognised that crashes sometimes occur while cycling in groups, the risk of accident when solo cycling is very low. It is probably comparable with the risk of accident associated with mundane daily activities.

3. For many people, exercise at the right intensity is essential for mental well being. Remove this and you introduce a whole new set of problems. This is in fact the whole essence of some charity cycles such as "When in doubt, pedal it out".

4. There are likely to be future Covid-19 outbreaks and it is better to focus on measures which are sustainable and make a difference. We in MYCLUB believe that curtailing the activities of solo cyclists, solo runners and distance (power) walkers is not one of these.

Please note that while we would like to see more flexibility in the current restrictions regarding exercise, we are not advocating that they are ignored.

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's about limiting the distance it can be spread through unnecessary interaction. We're not all perfect so a certain percentage of the population are going to come in contact with other people while exercising, better that the spread is limited to max 4 km rather than 40.

a 2k limit from home is an area of 12,5km if my math is correct...

How does a solo cycle spread the virus?

Its too late for that the virus is here now, no dispute yes cycling is a great way to get fit an healthy but it too late and you're clutching at straws with that argument.
    The medical experts at the Centre for Perioperative Care seem to disagree with you. They highlight the importance of exercise in helping people to fight off infection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076856?fbclid=IwAR2fNzHqCa5pszTiUXkENU0URMfiZ53eW_RWLYskzsOEFLgepxfo81rDvmI

It's never too late. We're now into five weeks of restrictions. There's a strong probably of further weeks on top of that, so 2 or 3 months or even more. Whatever your current level of fitness, if you're not exercising regularly now, you will lose fitness.

I see someone has set up a thread on the specific issue of the 2km limit.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058069396

TheChizler wrote: »

If this was the case, then why aren't we limited to 2km or some other specific limit for shopping, at least in urban areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..., and people out walking as you say are walking on the side of the roads in areas where no footpaths exist..very dangerous..
    I have seen lots of people walking with the flow of vehicular traffic where there are no footpaths. When we were growing up, it was drilled into us that we must always walk facing oncoming traffic.It mustn't be a thing now with the generation who have been ferried everywhere by car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement