Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a148pro wrote: »
    ...Where were the cars parked, up around the Cabra side?
    Cunningham Rd, Parkgate Street, Infirmary rd, NCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Disagree.
    I dont know the ins and outs but surely if someone is panting they are more likely to expel larger droplets and if others close more likely to pass something on. It would also lead to certain areas getting a lot busier as certain routes more popular to cyclists and joggers.
    More than anything having a clear simple rule is easily understood and fair to all, if you start adding exceptions where do you end up.
    I live 2.5km from a beach and would normally surf regularly but havent done so since the restrictions (wouldnt anyhow now that were asked to stay out of the sea) but I cant see my surfing being more dangerous than your cycling. Where does it end?
    I have taken up cycling but live at the top of a large hill, driving down and cycling from there but always within 2km, should I not be allowed?

Basically what i'm saying is suck it up, the restrictions are tough on everybody we all have activities we miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I have seen lots of people walking with the flow of vehicular traffic where there are no footpaths. When we were growing up, it was drilled into us that we must always walk facing oncoming traffic.It mustn't be a thing now with the generation who have been ferried everywhere by car.

The point is that from the link posted previously, the amount of people out walking and jogging has increased, and some cities are giving more space over to walkings/jogging and cycling, seeing as there's a massive decrease in motorised transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

We don’t need to extend rules or look for exemptions. Cycling as a group will not benefit from association with a lobby to relax the current rules.

Yes, not getting out for exercise is hard. It’s hard for over 70s being cocooned. It’s hard for kids, who can’t see their friends or extended families, and who don’t understand why, hard for people that have lost their jobs, hard for business owners who may lose their businesses, hard for people seeing family members die and not being able to say goodbye, hard for people seeing their pension funds plummet, the list is endless, but in my mind the lack of exercise is far down the list.

The message is simple - stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Disagree.
    I dont know the ins and outs but surely if someone is panting they are more likely to expel larger droplets and if others close more likely to pass something on. It would also lead to certain areas getting a lot busier as certain routes more popular to cyclists and joggers.
    More than anything having a clear simple rule is easily understood and fair to all, if you start adding exceptions where do you end up.
    I live 2.5km from a beach and would normally surf regularly but havent done so since the restrictions (wouldnt anyhow now that were asked to stay out of the sea) but I cant see my surfing being more dangerous than your cycling. Where does it end?
    I have taken up cycling but live at the top of a large hill, driving down and cycling from there but always within 2km, should I not be allowed?

Basically what i'm saying is suck it up, the restrictions are tough on everybody we all have activities we miss.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Balmed Out wrote: »

This, 100 percent.

No way could they make an exception for one form of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A 2 km radius gives you a 12.5km circumference. A few laps will do. Does it matter if you do the same road twice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Agree, where do I sign up?

Although all clubs have suspended any activity, it doesn't mean solo spins cannot be done.

I primarily go Mountain biking which is effectively banned for a total of 5 weeks.

While indoor training/Zwift can help maintain fitness, it can't compete with getting out in the sunshine and fresh air.

You will come into contact with more people while you're down at the off-licence queuing or moving around many other people buying booze, same for the supermarkets where you could move closely with dozens of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

letape wrote: »
    We don’t need to extend rules or look for exemptions. Cycling as a group will not benefit from association with a lobby to relax the current rules.

Yes, not getting out for exercise is hard. It’s hard for over 70s being cocooned. It’s hard for kids, who can’t see their friends or extended families, and who don’t understand why, hard for people that have lost their jobs, hard for business owners who may lose their businesses, hard for people seeing family members die and not being able to say goodbye, hard for people seeing their pension funds plummet, the list is endless, but in my mind the lack of exercise is far down the list.

The message is simple - stay at home.
    What benefit arises from the 2km restriction for cycling and indeed running and walking?

For any of the other restrictions you mention, the rationale and benefit arising is crystal clear. This is not the case for the 2km restriction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Fully disagree, exemptions should not be made.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    A 2 km radius gives you a 12.5km circumference. A few laps will do. Does it matter if you do the same road twice ?
    Does it matter if you don't? Does it matter if you do 20km out and 20km back home?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What benefit arises from the 2km restriction for cycling and indeed running and walking?

For any of the other restrictions you mention, the rationale and benefit arising is crystal clear. This is not the case for the 2km restriction.

It's for limiting community transmission to confined areas and for contact tracing.

It's evidence based.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I decided to leave the roads for the pedestrians.

I can manage on the turbo. It's not much of a sacrifice.

I also find the playing of the mental health card a bit distasteful, but whatever floats your boat.

Amirani wrote: »
    It's for limiting community transmission to confined areas and for contact tracing.

It's evidence based.

What transmission or contacts arise on a solo cycle?

And why doesn't it apply to shopping?

Does it matter if you don't? Does it matter if you do 20km out and 20km back home?

Yes, if there a virus outside your zone you risk spreading it.the 2km is for containment.

So why doesn't it apply to shopping?

Because not everybody lives near a supermarket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: dear lord, there is a thread for Corona virus and cycling already, move it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You are lucky to be allowed out at all to exercise. Lots of folk are cocooning and stuck in the same 4 walls. Cop on and suck it up. The rules are simple, follow them for a few weeks and this will eventually be over.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    An endurance cyclist I follow (used to follow) on strava did almost five hours on the bike today (within 2km ). Some people still not getting it.

Just to be clear, this does not breach current legal regulations.

I drove from KCR to Blackrock today and saw 10 to 15 cyclists in all their lycra. Not sure what they were up to but hard to believe all were going to/from work - one was a father and son out for a spin.
    I was in Lidl today and saw 10-15 females and a couple of males in all their lycra. Not sure what they were up to but hard to believe they were all doing essential shopping. One was a mother and daughter out for shopping spin.

Fair point, the father and son one though, that annoyed me. I'd love to be out with my son, but I dont think it's right, so we have stopped. Even within 2km.
    Exercising with members of the same household is not a breach of regulations.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was out for a walk with my current wife and Bruce this morning.
    Springsteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Just to be clear, this does not breach current legal regulations.

I was in Lidl today and saw 10-15 females and a couple of males in all their lycra. Not sure what they were up to but hard to believe they were all doing essential shopping. One was a mother and daughter out for shopping spin.

Exercising with members of the same household is not a breach of regulations.

Springsteen?

Can you not just accept what authorities are asking and ignore what everyone else is doing?

My guess is that their calculations have factored is a portion of people who don't think the rules apply to them, like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Mod Note: Deleted Post Deleted
    Here's a much better idea. STAY THE FUC HOME AND FLATTEN THE CURVE>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Multiple threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'll be first to accept it when a public health expert explains how doing a 40km cycling in laps within a 2km radius is safer than doing a 20km out, 20km home cycle.

Yes Andrew let's ask an expert to go through each and every scenario for you or you could exercise some basic common sense for a change.

It's a simple ask for another few weeks, you don't need an expert for some basic cop on or at least most of the population don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

please feel free to write to the government outlining your concerns. as i am sure they have no pressing matters they are currently dealing with, they will undoubtedly respond to your correspondence forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Sorry I know you cyclists can be a bit slow at times. I'll try to explain it more slowly.

S T A Y T H E F U C H O M E

Trust me, we are not all the same, if you go through the thread you'll find most cyclist are happy to obey the guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Another point - if your ' mental health ' can't sustain reduced exercise for a few weeks then it wasn't in good shape to begin with.

Might be something to reflect on during this opportunity for reflection.
    I'll be first to accept it when a public health expert explains how doing a 40km cycling in laps within a 2km radius is safer than doing a 20km out, 20km home cycle.

No need to have it explained. All you need to do is accept it.

Sorry I know you cyclists can be a bit slow at times. I'll try to explain it more slowly.

Thanks for your advice. I know exactly where to put it.

BTW, which shop(s) are you shopping in these days? Is there no closer shop to you? Could you not do all your shopping for the month in one go so that you can S T A Y T H E F U C H O M E?

Yes Andrew let's ask an expert to go through each and every scenario for you or you could exercise some basic common sense for a change.

It's a simple ask for another few weeks, you don't need an expert for some basic cop on or at least most of the population don't.
    I do need an expert to explain why a 40km cycle in laps inside a populated area is apparently safer than a 20km out, 20 km back cycle on quiet country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Just to be clear, is that with or without the 2km radius restriction?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

BTW, which shop(s) are you shopping in these days? Is there no closer shop to you? Could you not do all your shopping for the month in one go so that you can S T A Y T H E F U C H O M E?

I get my shopping delivered, next question. Yes I exercise on the treadmill and the bike in the home gym. Ever thought this lockdown would be over alot quicker if you just did as you were asked?

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »
    No need to have it explained. All you need to do is accept it.
    You might want to look back at the history of how/why/when the 2km limit was brought into place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement